can the psu in an XPS 420 be replaced with gaming ones?

Soldato
not asking for myself, my mums partner owns said machine which he has had for years and im just checking it out to see if i could improve it for him as he wont let me build him a new one lol and also hes saying its getting warm.

anyways i know about dell and their propriety setups, but equally i know some dells can be upgraded and wondered if the xps was one of them? was going to suggest my evga as i havent sold it and its just boxed doing nothing as the tower uses atx rather than those that use the longer units, but obviously this isnt my computer to do as please.

core2quad viv q6600
4gb ram
ati 2600 xt
wifi card
sound card
couple hdd's
optical

is all it consists off, but i want to make it faster as he says its slow which is expected if you excluding whatever on drives, so im looking up ram to max it at 8, going to put my GT610 in it maybe to see how that does as hes a train fanatic, so model railway building in shed, designs on computer, he likes train simulator.

at the same time i have tried to convince him to give it me if i sort him better lol.

Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

it has a q6600 quad, so dont know where the e8400 suggestion came from lol, but thanks.

i dont know what he is going to do with it at the moment as its a shared pc with my mum, so id rather not just change things like that, but its good to know that something off the shelf should work for future reference or run in to any troubles, but as my GT610 seemed to have improved things a little for his train stuff over than 2600xt, i probably wont upggrade the gpu higher like i was thinking hence the psu question.

Associate
it has a q6600 quad, so dont know where the e8400 suggestion came from lol, but thanks.

but i want to make it faster as he says its slow

hence e8400 suggestion

Back
Top Bottom