In Britain, Austerity Is Changing Everything (NYT Article)

Caporegime
Bootstraps bro, too many whiners in this thread bro....

I also can't wait for Brexit. Gonna be lit fam.

thing is, the EU is pretty keen on austerity, if the vote had gone the other way and Cameron was still in charge then you'd probably have seen more austerity by now... and that trend has happened across the EU

it has got Soros a bit worried for sure given his comments published today across various newspapers

Caporegime
While that is sensible and I agree, you can't really do it when large part of voting population only have few years left to live. Not sure it would go down well if you tell them that they have to wait 5 years+ for care, if they are still alive that is.

Sadly it's that part that have screwed us! Perhaps it's time they paid for others.

Soldato
I thought the debt was going up because Gov has tanked the economy. Currently we are in a bankrupt state but they cant allow it to take place..

Soldato
Austerity is economically retarded. But it was never about that; rather it was about re-establishing the class system.

It is also retarded that the government did not invest in important areas of our economy for the future. Now we sit at the crossroads, especially with Brexit, where we come to the end of 8 years of austerity with choked economic growth and growth revised down further from Brexit, with now being a really important time in deciding the future success of our economy in either to spend a bit more and invest to grow, or continue instead with the obsessive deficit reducing targets where we will hopefully have these down and accomplished by 2022. If the government takes the latter route, expect them to miss all their targets for 2022, and expect them to have to borrow reluctantly to deal with various sectors needing injections of cash to keep them afloat but still massively struggling.

Caporegime
It is very expensive to raise a a child to adult good, and very, very expensive to train them to be a doctor. Or you could get a doctor for no expense from abroad.

And even if you wanted to educate more doctors within the UK you would need the facilities and resources to do that, which simply don't existnand are hard to setup.

And if you do go down that route then you need the student applicants. There is no evidence that even with more capacity more people would start a medical degree, even if they were good enough, not with the NHS salaries and work conditions.

Which brings me to the next point. Even if You invested significantly to handle more medical placements, you need to prevent the graduates going abroad or working for big pharama etc.
So we should only train Brits to do simple jobs, where the cost of training is minimal.

For everything else, import ready-made, trained workers from other countries.

Soldato
I thought the debt was going up because Gov has tanked the economy. Currently we are in a bankrupt state but they cant allow it to take place..

No, the debt is going up because we had a large deficit. If you spend more than you get in then you have to borrow to make the shortfall whether that is for paying for services or paying your debts

Caporegime
Mobster
Soldato
No, the debt is going up because we had a large deficit. If you spend more than you get in then you have to borrow to make the shortfall whether that is for paying for services or paying your debts

Which is exactly what a Government should do. Tories don’t seem to understand that a surplus in the public sector is a deficit in the private sector. And vice versa.

Soldato
Which is exactly what a Government should do. Tories don’t seem to understand that a surplus in the public sector is a deficit in the private sector. And vice versa.

Yes and no, it is well accepted that its ok to run a deficit which is why the the EU stability pact allows for a 3% deficit. The UK had close to 11%. It still amazes me that people still dont understand why the debt has increased

Caporegime
I don't feel it because my wage, life goals, responsibilities and lifestyle require any more money.

Gf had just got (for her) a significant pay rise by moving jobs.

With no kids and therefore no responsibilities, also being a person who isn't interested in some of posh food I don't want for much more. And if I earned more I'd probably just waste it lol.

But as said, the general demographic of this forum earns more than those affected by this. And its pretty hard to put yourself in that position if you've never been there. I can't imagine what it's like to have to ration washing machine use let's say to keep the bills down.

Associate
thing is, the EU is pretty keen on austerity, if the vote had gone the other way and Cameron was still in charge then you'd probably have seen more austerity by now... and that trend has happened across the EU

it has got Soros a bit worried for sure given his comments published today across various newspapers

News for you. Brexit hasn't happened yet, we are still in the EU.

Mobster
Soldato
Yes and no, it is well accepted that its ok to run a deficit which is why the the EU stability pact allows for a 3% deficit. The UK had close to 11%. It still amazes me that people still dont understand why the debt has increased

We ran a deficit of over 100% of GDP after WW2 and still afforded a health service and welfare state. It is nonsense to say we’ve somehow run out of money.

Soldato
A leaflet needs to be sent out explaining the difference between debt and deficit and what effects having a deficit has on debt. Or even a VERY patronising video every day of TV for a month.

Austerity has happened, a very mild form of it. No investment has happened. Things are ****. Why? Because we as a nation are servicing huge amounts of debt, and that costs A LOT, that's money that cannot be then spent on the stuff we want until it's reduced to a nominal amount. Still, my millennial generation just want us to borrow more and **** over the next gen - someone else will pay for it.

Soldato
So is the answer to strip pensioners of their life profits/assets?

Or again, borrow and let the next gen pay for it?

I think what's happening right now is a great balancing act. Hey, we're all in it together...

Back
Top Bottom