Travelling to Japan

Caporegime
I went in November last year for 2 weeks:-

Tokyo (just for transfer)-_

Fukuoka (for the Ramen)
Hiroshima (for Okinomiyaki and the WW2 stuff)
Miyajima (for the Shrine in the sea)
Kobe (for the beef)
Osaka (for their version of Okinomiyaki and Takoyaki, Osaka is the "Kitchen" of Japan)
Nara (Deer and temples)
Kyoto (The many World heritage sites)
Hakone (Mt Fuji and Onsen)
Tokyo - Day 8 onwards (For everything else)

BECtl2f.png

If you want, you can read it here :- https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...pan-for-2-weeks.18784382/page-6#post-31604653

The trip is not for the fainthearted as it does involve a lot of military style get up and go mentality (I was often up at 6am) and not much lingering around in the 1st week. I stayed in a mix of 4/5 star hotels to 1 night in a business hotel (£50) in Osaka and a Ryokan (£450) in Hakone.

Arashiyama with no one in sight…if you heard of this place, you know it never happens unless you got to be REALLY early.

JqQaX9m.jpg

Actually, forget what I said in an earlier post, the entire 2 weeks, including that £450 for a single night, my accommodation came to £2,000 (actually something like £1996 and change. It was just under my £2k budget, I was quite proud of that!) So if you take away that £450, and drop it to a reasonable £150. I could have done 2 weeks of accommodation for £1700, and all the rooms I stayed at were double or twin, another 7 days would be…say £2500.

If you were to just do the Kensai region, I prefer just Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Tokyo. You can throw in Nagoya if you want but I personally would give Hiroshima a miss, besides the War Memorial I didn’t find the city that interesting unless you like to see Deer in Miyajima, which is a charming little place but Nara was just as fun I thought. Although I really was only in Hiroshima 1 evening and 1 morning as I went to Miyajima the first day, arrived back at 8pm to town and then left next day around 11am to Kobe.

Japan is not a cheap place like most of Asia but no different than London, you can be smart and try to save money here and there but a lot of things do cost money, get a JR Pass to save on the Shinkansen and actually drinking is surprisingly really cheap. There are places where you pay a fixed fee (£40) and it is free drink all night.

Budget £10 per meal. A typical Ramen meal is about £10.
Budget £10 per day on the underground in Tokyo.
Budget £5-10 per entry fee per temple/observation deck (except Skytree, that is like £30)

I budgeted £100 spending money per day, with £200 contingency and I came back with £4 in change, and I didn’t go out drinking or anything. Did the tourist stuff, temples, Robot Restaurants, street food, convenient store food, Ramen. That kind of thing, if you want to see things, and experience things in Japan, it will cost you money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I've been looking this afternoon and I think the easiest thing is to just book the Disney resort for a few nights and then move to a hotel somewhere in Tokyo (I'm still not sure where and I'm hugely open to suggestions as no where jumps out to me as being perfect), it seems its easy enough to get a bullet train out of tokyo to see things like Fuji but I'm just trying to get my head around their metro system and where is actually a good place to be situated to be able to easily get around to various attractions if that makes sense?

Pick a station on the Yamanote Line, it is just like the Circle Line of London. Most of the places you want to go is on this line or just 1 change off of it.

Shinjuku, Harajuku, Akihabara, Ikebukuro all on this line.

Associate
OP
Here's a random question if anyone can answer, I want to book this now to get it done - but my passport expires in July and I'm pretty sure the passport number changes when you renew, does it matter if I book the flights now and just update the passport number later or should i get the renewal sorted first?

Associate
Depends on where you go, etc. but maybe have a look as these are just something to maybe think about:

1. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g298184-c3-zff31-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto-Hotels.html

2. https://www.japan-rail-pass.co.uk/?...MIlfCN_vms2wIV47ztCh2NEAk1EAAYASAAEgK-v_D_BwE

3. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/a/Japan?af...MIxpKvrfqs2wIVjrDtCh1BFwS6EAAYASAAEgI7EPD_BwE

4. https://www.autoeurope.co.uk/?Aff=G...MIsMy62_qs2wIVxp3tCh07KwyMEAAYAyAAEgIrh_D_BwE

Bit much maybe and I no longer travel, but have lived in 5 countries so always nice to make sure you plan things out :) .

Associate
thanks for some of the feedback, to be honest I think I'm going to stick with the rather pricey hotel that is right in the centre of Tokyo and just use trains to get anywhere we need to go, 3k seems awful expensive for a weeks stay but from reading here and reading on the web Japan really is just that expensive for a proper hotel room - it will likely not be somewhere we go again so may as well go all out.

£3,000 for a week?! Where are you planning on staying exactly?

It is so easy to get around in Tokyo that I would advise against staying in one of the central areas. Staying somewhere on the end of the Chuo Line, or even up in Omiya (Saitama) would, I hope, be much cheaper and the trains are still great. Omiya is no changes, 30 mins to Shinjuku and somewhere like Ogikubo (Chuo and Marunouchi lines) is 10-15 minutes away.

Unless you want to stay somewhere fancy of course.

Last edited:
Associate
I stayed in the APA Hotel Shinjuku Kabukicho, which was a pretty nice hotel for around 2 weeks and I don't remember it costing anything like that much.

Also as mentioned by others, get a rail pass. Osaka Castle and Hiroshima are well worth visiting, Rail pass will get you there on the Shinkansen.

Associate
Here's a random question if anyone can answer, I want to book this now to get it done - but my passport expires in July and I'm pretty sure the passport number changes when you renew, does it matter if I book the flights now and just update the passport number later or should i get the renewal sorted first?

I've flown with BA, ANA and JAL and I didn't need to put in passport numbers to book the flights.

Last time I went I booked my flights last September, renewed my passport in November and then flew last month. Put the passport numbers in a couple of days before the outbound flight.

Edit: we've always stayed in Shinjuku at the Keio Plaza, you can easily do £3k in 10 days for a decent room.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for your advice, I've actually booked it now and got a nice looking hotel which is just east of Chiyoda - about 10 minutes walk from Tokyo Station which I'm hoping will leave us with ample opportunities to head out and visit places

I'm hugely open to anything anyone can advise about Japan? I've been told to get a SIM card when the time comes and that a rail pass pays for itself - just to say as well a huge thank you to everyone commenting / helping with planning this.

Associate
I've always rented a pocket WiFi rather than a sim card because you can connect multiple devices to it and the battery lasts longer than using a hot spot on a phone.

Caporegime
Thanks everyone for your advice, I've actually booked it now and got a nice looking hotel which is just east of Chiyoda - about 10 minutes walk from Tokyo Station which I'm hoping will leave us with ample opportunities to head out and visit places

I'm hugely open to anything anyone can advise about Japan? I've been told to get a SIM card when the time comes and that a rail pass pays for itself - just to say as well a huge thank you to everyone commenting / helping with planning this.

I went with SIM card (get it from BIC Camera), 5G/30 days for about £45. That way I didn’t need to worry about returning it.

The Railpass you need to buy it when you are in the UK, you get a voucher posted to you which you exchange in Japan for the railpass. You can choose to activate it whenever, for example I picked mine up on Sunday but put down Monday for it to start from. You can get it when you are in Japan now but only in about 2 places and it’s a faff, much easier order it now (I think only with 3 months prior to departure) and collect at Narita airport (its downstairs, ground floor).

Associate
OP
Just to revive this slightly old thread - calling on previous Japan visitors once more! just a quick question about money - have you been able to use your credit cards over there or was it a strict cash business?

Thanks

Soldato
Just to revive this slightly old thread - calling on previous Japan visitors once more! just a quick question about money - have you been able to use your credit cards over there or was it a strict cash business?

Thanks

Hi mate, most retail shops accept cards, but always wise to carry cash, especially the further away from Tokyo you go. General consensus is cash is still king so always carry a decent amount on you.

Also I'd consider getting a Revolut card if you haven't got one already, saves on any potential credit card fees and you will get the best conversion rates!

Another thing to note, a lot of ATM's stop service after 8pm after which point your best bet will be using one inside a 7/11 or other convenience stores (7/11 being the most common), I think Watson have ATM's too but mainly used 7/11.

Any other questions happy to help :)

When are you going?

Associate
OP
I have a MBNA card with no fee's abroad so I'll take that with me + cash, we will be staying in central tokyo so should be okay - I think people have covered most concerns'

- Make sure to grab a SIM card before going
- Order a rail pass before going

One thing I've read online is to always have your passport on you as not can carry a hefty fine? In your experience over there how was it with English speaking did you struggle at all or?

Thanks!

Soldato
Me and a few friends are thinking of going to Japan for a week around February , I know its not long but we don't mind

Any suggestions where we should visit , I'm currently thinking 3 days Tokyo and 3 in osaka

It's just an idea atm so depending on price may not go at all

Caporegime
Me and a few friends are thinking of going to Japan for a week around February , I know its not long but we don't mind

Any suggestions where we should visit , I'm currently thinking 3 days Tokyo and 3 in osaka

It's just an idea atm so depending on price may not go at all

Do 3 day in Tokyo, then 3 day in Kyoto.
There are more historical sites in Kyoto than in Osaka. I would even spend an afternoon in Nara as well going from Kyoto, it takes about 30mins on the train.
In Tokyo you can do...
SkyTree
Asakusa
Akihabara
Shibuya
Eat Ramen
Meji Shrine
Tsusiji Fish market (outer)
Although to be honest, I feel like i am listing out thing that means nothing to you, what are you interested in?

Back
Top Bottom