Getting an additional SIM on the cheap?

Soldato
Afternoon all,

I've been looking at the various offers on SIM cards through Three, as my plan is just not right for my use any more. I see you can take out an additional SIM, that's cheaper than anywhere else for the equivalent (12GB data, unlimited calls and texts) at £14 per month.

But that standalone SIM is £16 per month when not additional.

What is stopping me from getting that £14 SIM and then cancelling my current monthly contract? I can see no mention of it being a requirement for you to have two contracts in place to keep the other.

Anyone done this?

Soldato
I'm not sure if I follow? . . . but I'll chime in anyways . . .

I'm a 3 customer with a monthly £10 sim only contract (unlimited calls and texts and 4GB data). It was a good deal two years ago but now I feel its overpriced.

I also have a PAYG sim from 3 which I use for a small business phone and that has been exceedingly good value for money as there is no monthly contract and you just top up when you need to. With the 3 PAYG you only need to send a text every six months to keep the line active so that is a theoretical running cost of 4p a year if you only received incoming calls and made all your outgoings on what's app.

If you check your average usage you may find you don't actually need a contract anymore, you may be able to wangle it out of a PAYG . . .

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure if I follow? . . . but I'll chime in anyways . . .

I'm a 3 customer with a monthly £10 sim only contract (unlimited calls and texts and 4GB data). It was a good deal two years ago but now I feel its overpriced.

I also have a PAYG sim from 3 which I use for a small business phone and that has been exceedingly good value for money as there is no monthly contract and you just top up when you need to. With the 3 PAYG you only need to send a text every six months to keep the line active so that is a theoretical running cost of 4p a year if you only received incoming calls and made all your outgoings on what's app.

If you check your average usage you may find you don't actually need a contract anymore, you may be able to wangle it out of a PAYG . . .

Oh dear! I'm try and reword it:

Three offer a SIM for £14 if it's an additional SIM to your current contract, or it's £16 if it's not additional, so your only SIM.

I'm trying to see what they can do to prevent you from getting the £14 SIM and then cancelling the other contract (so basically getting the £16 SIM for £14).

That make sense? If it does I'll reword the OP.

Regarding your PAYG, my data usage is such that I'd end up paying more on PAYG just for the data (1p per MB) than I do for my existing data, calls and texts, so it's not really an option. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Soldato
OP
I think I see what your saying now and no I don't think that would work! :p

Is PAYG really 1p per MB?
That's what it's listed as for Three for their 'free SIM' on PAYG. You can get those odd ones that frankly look like a contract, with set numbers of minutes and data given per month for X price! Not sure how they're PAYG and not contract, but whatever!

Back
Top Bottom