The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
You can go for the sigma 150-600 canon fit plus converter for a grand for the wildlife if you have strong arms. It’s a monster but everything works on the Sony A7iii body as it should

Then the Sony 85mm f1.8 for portrait which is a gem for around £500. Would leave you just £500 for landscape which probably wouldn’t be enough as the 16-35 f4 is a grand. It’s almost as good as the 2.8 but cheaper and lighter. You could have course buy second hand on the lenses with a new body and maybe get in around 4 grand.

If going all prime then you could do all new as above and get a wide angle prime

Soldato
Is a four grand spend on this system including camera enough to get me a portrait, landscape and wildlife lens? I'm out of my depth here so any help would be appreciated.
I've just made the step forward, sold the 1DX, the Canon 85mm 1.8 and will soon shift the excellent Sigma 150-600 C.
I've gone for the A7R3 and the 100-400 and will soon get the 85mm 1.8. I feel as though I've moved forward a whole decade .

Soldato
@Greebo I had considered that having read your previous comments. The size of the sigma wouldn't be too much of an issue given the fact that on a day I needed to use it, I would simply just be carrying that. Much to consider. I don't think I'm going to change systems until after Photokina (unless I change my mind). Thanks.

Caporegime
@Greebo I had considered that having read your previous comments. The size of the sigma wouldn't be too much of an issue given the fact that on a day I needed to use it, I would simply just be carrying that. Much to consider. I don't think I'm going to change systems until after Photokina (unless I change my mind). Thanks.
Not happy with Fuji any more?

Associate
Is a four grand spend on this system including camera enough to get me a portrait, landscape and wildlife lens? I'm out of my depth here so any help would be appreciated.

There are better choices than a Sony A7III for landscape & wildlife. My first recommendation to you would to be absolutely clear you need a new camera system for what you do. Or is this just a case of G.A.S and getting taken in by the Sony hype train ?

Soldato
Not happy with Fuji any more?
Apologies for the late reply. I'm generally quite happy with the Fuji but have slight issues with focusing and low light noise. I've been trying to determine whether it's my lack of professional skill that's the issue or the camera?
I've become quite frustrated at times with the focusing on the single shot setting having not got the accuracy and clarity required.
I'm even taking advice from Jared Polin with regards to the noise and focusing but fail to see how 500th of a second in the example he gives would be enough for that kind of a situation: https://froknowsphoto.com/the-secret-to-sharp-images/

@Janesy B & Xaldub: I think that is why I have decided to wait until Photokina to determine what the XT3 may bring.

Caporegime
There are better choices than a Sony A7III for landscape & wildlife. My first recommendation to you would to be absolutely clear you need a new camera system for what you do. Or is this just a case of G.A.S and getting taken in by the Sony hype train ?
Why don't you suggest which systems and cameras you think are better instead of just making throwaway comments and assumptions about his intentions? :rolleyes:

Apologies for the late reply. I'm generally quite happy with the Fuji but have slight issues with focusing and low light noise. I've been trying to determine whether it's my lack of professional skill that's the issue or the camera?
I've become quite frustrated at times with the focusing on the single shot setting having not got the accuracy and clarity required.
I'm even taking advice from Jared Polin with regards to the noise and focusing but fail to see how 500th of a second in the example he gives would be enough for that kind of a situation: https://froknowsphoto.com/the-secret-to-sharp-images/

The focusing and low light ability were partly why I moved to Sony, other than wanting full frame again. The Sony A7R3 really is superior in every way that matters to me vs the X-T2 (battery life is in real terms 3x better, focusing is more accurate, image quality is outstanding and I love having more MP to crop and frame with) and I am so happy that I switched.

Soldato
Is anyone else also waiting for the Tamron 28-75? I know that there was high demand, but getting a delivery date out of Wex or a stock date from anyone else is next to impossible. Same with the new Sigma Art range (have the 20mm 1.4 on order, along with the Tamron).

Caporegime
Tamron is so over subscribed I've seen some retailers now saying July for delivery if you are placing an order today. A few stores were expecting a handful today with another small shipment on 9th June I was told. I was also told that unless you were one of the first to pre order then don't expect your lens until the end of june

AFAIK the sigma lens aren't even out yet and won't be until June.

Bought the 35mm f2.8 za today while it was £200 off as a walk around street lens

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It's been a while waiting but I am going to pick mine up at lunch, so I can't wait.

So going to see what other lens I can pick up with it.

Soldato
Why don't you suggest which systems and cameras you think are better instead of just making throwaway comments and assumptions about his intentions? :rolleyes:

The focusing and low light ability were partly why I moved to Sony, other than wanting full frame again. The Sony A7R3 really is superior in every way that matters to me vs the X-T2 (battery life is in real terms 3x better, focusing is more accurate, image quality is outstanding and I love having more MP to crop and frame with) and I am so happy that I switched.

Is the A7rIII that much better for battery than the A9? My A9 is nowhere near 3x better battery than my X-T2. What do you mean by focussing more accurate, I don't find the X-T2 inaccurate but the A9 does have more modes for sure with the Eye AF being a much better implementation.

Caporegime
Is the A7rIII that much better for battery than the A9? My A9 is nowhere near 3x better battery than my X-T2. What do you mean by focussing more accurate, I don't find the X-T2 inaccurate but the A9 does have more modes for sure with the Eye AF being a much better implementation.
It obviously uses the same Z battery as the A9, but in real terms i get 3x the shooting time over my X-E2/X-T2. Obviously this also depends on your settings (I always had my X-T2 on max performance). However objectively speaking the Z battery is, for a mirrorless camera, an absolute monster.

Soldato
Tamron is so over subscribed I've seen some retailers now saying July for delivery if you are placing an order today. A few stores were expecting a handful today with another small shipment on 9th June I was told. I was also told that unless you were one of the first to pre order then don't expect your lens until the end of june

AFAIK the sigma lens aren't even out yet and won't be until June.

Thanks for that. Wex finally got back to me just now, stating the Tamron is back in stock at the end of this week if your order is over 2 weeks old. The Sigma has a more vague date of 'mid-June'... I'm going to the Outer Hebrides on 13 June, and had rather hoped to have it by then. Never mind...

Caporegime
Currently have now

Sony 16-35f4 G
Sony 55mm f1.8 ZA
Sony 85mm f1.8
Sony 100-400 f4 to f5.6 GM
Sony 35mm f2.8 ZA

Tamron 28-70 on preorder and then I just want a fast ultra wide for astro. Was going to buy the Batis 18mm but will wait on the sigma fast lenses first. I hope it's a complete new design by sigma as their f1.4 wide lenses on other mounts which should be the ideal astro lenses have the worst coma on the planet and are almost unusable for astro work.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Just collected the camera along with a Sony 28mm f2 and a spare battery which Camera World discounted and its on charge at the moment. Just waiting on the 85mm f1.8 to arrive at the moment as well.

I need to order that dual charger from Amazon but my first impressions from moving over from the A6500 are just WOW I am very impressed, very happy.

Soldato
It obviously uses the same Z battery as the A9, but in real terms i get 3x the shooting time over my X-E2/X-T2. Obviously this also depends on your settings (I always had my X-T2 on max performance). However objectively speaking the Z battery is, for a mirrorless camera, an absolute monster.

I guess it depends on how you use the camera, I use both in the same way and get very similar battery performance. Perhaps the A9 edges it but it's not a massive difference.

Back
Top Bottom