Thailand - Khoa Lak

Soldato
We are here on holiday - still need to go and explore, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for something to do in the area?

Phuket is about an hour away, so for convenience, would like to stay in this part of Thailand, but I think we will venture there for a day or two.

Oh and before anyone posts, obviously I am seeing the ladyboys at some point.... :D

Soldato
Spent 10 days at Rawai Muay Thai last year, highly recommended! Planning to go back again later this year

Good guys. Been four times. Twice in Phuket and twice in Khao Lak.

Khao Lak is still recovering as a tourist area following the tsunami. I never did any touristy stuff there so I don't have any recommendations!

Soldato
Phang Nga National Park isn't far away from you. I can highly recommend a kayaking boat trip with Two Sea Tours: https://www.twoseatour.com

It's a really early start (before sunrise) but it means you get to explore some magical places before they fill up with tourists, and believe me that place gets rammed from 10am onwards so it's worth it.

It's run by a lovely French guy called Philipe and his team of kayakers are so friendly. You get assigned a paddle man for the day, who does all the hard work while you sit there and take everything in.

I'd say it was the highlight of our Thailand trip last year.

Soldato
Not us, we purposely avoided Phuket.

Last time we went to Bangkok, Khao Lak and Railay Beach.

I think he was trying to be rude :)

Nothing wrong with Phuket though; there are obviously tonnes of stunning places to see all around Thailand, but Phuket has a good selection of stuff to do on the island and it has a feel of its own.

We did Bangkok for 2 nights, Chiang Mai for 3 and then Phuket for 10.

Someone mentioned the elephants; it's far too common for them to go through a lot of abuse to be trained to carry humans, so as suggested, avoid riding them at all costs. We went to a reputable elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai which looks after the older elephants once they've finished working until they die. You get to spend the day caring for them and walking with them and it's lovely to see. Each elephant has a carer who looks after them until death, which is a really nice touch and you could see they had strong bonds.

Soldato
https://www.thaielephantcarecenter.com

That's the one we went to; was a cracking day and we only had 4 of us in the group so was a really intimate experience.

The only issue I had (and I can't say for sure that it happened at the Elephant centre) was that we got home that evening and felt really unwell..sweating buckets and visiting the loo every 5 minutes. Unfortunate timing as we were flying to Phuket the next day, so had to load myself up with tablets to make the flight bearable! :) Took about a week before I fully recovered and had to eat very carefully and drink tonnes of water. Thankfully Thailand is very much used to these issues and you can buy tablets just about everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom