shiver 750

Associate
hey guys, had a go on my mates shiver the other day, what a gorgeous bike to ride.
he says he fancies an upgrade/change, so I'm tempted to buy it off him.

only things i'm worried about are, since new his engine warning light has been coming on whenever it rains, he's taken it back to the garage he bought it from, and they just said "there nothing wrong with it" he's argued and argued with them over and over about it.

that brings me on the next point, there are bare wires just hanging out of the fairing. looks so shabby.

on the whole, nothing has ever went wrong with his bike and is a gorgeous looking bike.

does anyone have any opinions on them?.

Soldato
I owned one for around 18 months, from new. Nothing went wrong with it during that time, and I'm pretty sure I don't remember wires hanging out of the fairing. I toured over to Belgium for a few days on it, with an oversize soft tail bag, and it was fine. I didn't find there was anything particularly inspiring about the bike. It was either a little underpowered or the rear wheel was a little too large. The suspension felt a little alarming at times when pushing on over bumpy surfaces.

The most significant problem will be one that your friend is already experiencing - the Aprilia UK dealer network that's generally poor, backed up by parts supply from the factory that's completely unfit for purpose.

Soldato
The single biggest mistake of my biking catalogue - an Aprilia Caponord 1200. I had two great trips on that bike, however it spent far more time in a workshop than it ever did on the road, often waiting for parts from the factory. I'll never waste my time again on another Aprilia but, as I say, the Shiver was fine. Not the most rational decision i'll ever make, but when there are so many good bikes out there today I don't see a reason to increase my odds of having a duff bike.

I'm very bitter, in case that didn't shine through!

Caporegime
his engine warning light has been coming on whenever it rains

there are bare wires just hanging out of the fairing. looks so shabby.

This may well be cause & effect. On a dry day use a hose to simulate rain on the exposed cables and see if it causes it to happen. You might need a bit of pressure as you're often going at high speeds but be careful not to make things worse.

As Abyss says, Aprilias are a nightmare to get parts for, not what you want when it's your daily. KTM too but they've improved quite a bit recently.

Back
Top Bottom