Windows 10 BSOD since 1803 update

Associate
Hi All,

I realise there are a lot of people talking about issues with the latest windows 10 update, but as there is so much to trawl through I though I'd start a quick thread for my particular issue if that's okay.

So, allowed windows to update and started having all sorts of issues and slow downs etc. Main issue was it randomly BSOD'ing when just sat idle on the desktop. Didn't ever seem to happen either in games or when I was doing other stuff like Photoshop or premiere etc.

BlueScreen View consistently showed issue as ntoskrnl.exe and nvddmkm.sys which point to the Nvidia drivers (latest of course).

Finally got bored of not really making any headway and decided to give a clean install a bash. So downloaded latest USB installer (V1803) wiped and started again. All installed, seems much snappier in general and all pretty happy until I just had another random bsod when web browsing. And again KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and ntoskrnl.exe and nvlddmkm.sys highlighted in BlueScreenView.

I'm guessing this is a common issue? If so, any fix as yet?

Thanks for any advice!

E-I

Man of Honour
Really long shot here as I've not seen anyone else complain about the specific set of circumstances I'm experiencing but if you are using Firefox try reverting to 60.0 - I've had the most bizarre issues on a small number of machines when 60.0.1 is even installed causing BSODs when the system is idle and nVidia driver crashes when in use - can't get to the bottom of it but I've multiple times tested that 60.0 = fine for hours, 60.0.1 = problems :( I can only assume the culprit is something else as it happens when the system is booted up and idle with the web browser never even launched but I can't fathom what.

If it wasn't for the fact it is happening on 3 different systems I'd have thought the GPU was going bad.

Soldato
Hi All,

I realise there are a lot of people talking about issues with the latest windows 10 update, but as there is so much to trawl through I though I'd start a quick thread for my particular issue if that's okay.

So, allowed windows to update and started having all sorts of issues and slow downs etc. Main issue was it randomly BSOD'ing when just sat idle on the desktop. Didn't ever seem to happen either in games or when I was doing other stuff like Photoshop or premiere etc.

BlueScreen View consistently showed issue as ntoskrnl.exe and nvddmkm.sys which point to the Nvidia drivers (latest of course).

Finally got bored of not really making any headway and decided to give a clean install a bash. So downloaded latest USB installer (V1803) wiped and started again. All installed, seems much snappier in general and all pretty happy until I just had another random bsod when web browsing. And again KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and ntoskrnl.exe and nvlddmkm.sys highlighted in BlueScreenView.

I'm guessing this is a common issue? If so, any fix as yet?

Thanks for any advice!

E-I

What browser are you using?... If it's FF try disabling hardware acceleration or changing browser, as to the rest well nvlddmkm.sys points towards Nvidia driver so try changing that to a different version,( I use AMD video card however no issues on my Win10 1803 build).

Anything overclocked?..Still sounds like a driver issue to me. Check your event logs and "Reliability History" in Control Panel.

Don
Associate
OP
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice! Sorry for the slow response.

So in response:

mrbell, I don't have any issues with gaming, it's rock solid on that.

Rroff, I've been using chrome not firefox, but have found some reports of chrome and 1803 being an issue, so now working on Edge for a bit to see if that stops the BSODs. Nice move on Microsoft's part... do an update that breaks both chrome and firefox…

Elevon, Thanks, I have tried a couple of different drivers but think it's likely to be chrome at this stage. I do have everything overclocked quite high and under water (rig as in sig ) but that's unlikely to be the issue as the overclocks have been rock solid for a couple of years both for workstation use and games. I did knock the gfx overclock to stock for a while, but it still BSOD'd.

bledd, useful to know! Might explain some of the issues when I initially did the update as I had Avast installed (prior to wipe and fresh install). Not using Avast now.

Currently typing this in Edge, machine crashed earlier when I had chrome, outlook and word open, so if I work like this and it stays stable then it's pretty certain its chrome. I'll look into whether its possible to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome if that proves to be the case.

So Hopefully I'll be able to confirm one way or another in a few hours.

Help much appreciated!

E-I

Associate
OP
Hi All,

So far so good. Been doing the same work I was doing earlier when it crashed. So browsing (In edge now rather than chrome) word, pdfs in acrobat and some photoshop stuff and no issues. I'm pretty sure chrome has been the problem!

The only unrelated issue is for some reason I can't get the driver for my occulus rift camera/ sensor to install... It does everything else fine, just not that bit.

Glad you haven't had any issues DomBruv, to be fair my system tends to get a bit of a pounding as I do a mixture of video editing/ compositing, 3D, CAD and VR Dev as well as gaming of an evening. So it was overdue a bit of a cleanse. I must say it's certainly feeling snappier since the fresh install as opposed to the upgrade!

Thanks all!

E-I

Associate
After the new update mine began BSOD'ing every 5 minutes and in the end refused to boot up at all as it got stuck in a loop that I couldn't recover from. After 6 hours of trying in the end MS support told me to reinstall Windows, not fun as I also use my machine for work so had a ton of other programs to reinstall all day yesterday. Can anyone recommend any software that will do a complete image of my C drive that I can keep on my NAS so I can recover a fresh reinstall with all my business programs back intact straight off the bat? Would save me a ton of time so cost of the program isn't an issue. Cheers!

Associate
OP
After the new update mine began BSOD'ing every 5 minutes and in the end refused to boot up at all as it got stuck in a loop that I couldn't recover from. After 6 hours of trying in the end MS support told me to reinstall Windows, not fun as I also use my machine for work so had a ton of other programs to reinstall all day yesterday. Can anyone recommend any software that will do a complete image of my C drive that I can keep on my NAS so I can recover a fresh reinstall with all my business programs back intact straight off the bat? Would save me a ton of time so cost of the program isn't an issue. Cheers!

Macrium reflect. Works great and can do an image from within windows. Also works on software raid 0 etc which many other options dont. Free too!

Associate
OP
Hi All,

Okay... Looks like it's not Chrome :( had several BSOD when just sat on desktop with no programs open. Same issue with ntoskrnl and nvlddmkm.

So, have removed gfx overclocks (as much as I can for now given they are running custom firmware) and starting to disconnect any extraneous hardware (occulus rift is gone). I'll see if its stable and if not keep disconnecting more things, I do have an Aquero and NZXT lighting controller that I can also disconnect.

Given it seems to be graphics related I wonder if the fact that I have 2 monitors running at different refresh rates may have any impact? I have a 2560x1440 at 60Hz and 3440x1440 at 100Hz and gsync.

Quite annoyed that Microsoft have managed to break my system that has been rock solid at high overclocks for a couple of years...

E-I

Associate
OP
Removal of rift and graphics overclocks not helped... BSOD'd about 4 times since my last post. Only seems to happen when it's idling, so if I'm web browsing or just sitting idle on desktop. Not happened once whilst gaming or doing other high load things like video editing. I'm assuming its something to do with the graphics card clock rates going up and down and power states?

Associate
Removal of rift and graphics overclocks not helped... BSOD'd about 4 times since my last post. Only seems to happen when it's idling, so if I'm web browsing or just sitting idle on desktop. Not happened once whilst gaming or doing other high load things like video editing. I'm assuming its something to do with the graphics card clock rates going up and down and power states?
I'm still having same trouble. No overclocks, and did not reinstall Chrome when I completely reinstalled windows. Peeving me off now, it has to be related to this last big update.

Soldato
I havent had any major problems since updating to 1803.

But I did have 2 issues.

The first was with Avast (Free). I had even updated avast before I did the windows update. But as soon as 1803 was on avast started malfunctioning. I ended up having to uninstall it, also used the special avast clean program to completely remove it. Then I re-installed the offline version, as they recommend and it worked. ( https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility )

The second issue wasn't that obvious but my 2 nvidia 1070's were running hotter than usual. To the point it was heating my room up noticably. In the end I did a clean install to the latest drivers and everything is back to normal. It's possible that the browser issue is tied to nvidia because lots of browsers these days have gpu integration on as default.

I'd also recommend before doing a clean install of windows to download the media creation tool from the microsoft site. ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 )

1. You can either run it and make a bootable flash usb drive (you'll need at least 8GB) and then plug it in your usb port and boot from it. If it doesn't boot from the usb port automatically you'll have to temporary change the boot order.

2. Or, you can tell it to update the pc running it, which if you was going to clean install anyway then you're not risking anything. In the past I've found over-installing with media creation tool as ironed on some bugs in the past, including usb problems.

You can also select to keep your files if you use the media creation tool, so its worth a go imho.

Also, just thinking, maybe you have some programs that this new version doesn't 100% like. Update any programs you have. In the past I've had particular problems with encryption programs, and on one occasion the glyph game launcher stopped me upgrading windows.

Associate
OP
Well, still having issues here.

Logs just show:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 4c0e4a92-cb7b-4e6c-bd1c-ac7f07224253.

Bluescreen dump viewer still reports same KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and ntoskrnl.exe and nvlddmkm.sys

I had disabled hardware acceleration in chrome and thought things were better, but then when typing one of these posts it blue screened again...

Might need to remove everything I can to resolve, but needed to get some work done so haven't been able to the last few days...

I do have a suspicion it's something to do with programs/ windows not handling the graphics card clock and voltage changes well? No real eviudence other than its blue screens at such odd moments, typically with the computer completely idle or when typing in a browser (edge or chrome)

I'll let you know!

Soldato
I had some (not so serious) issues with the latest AMD drivers in 1803. I had to roll back to a set from February to have no problems. Your issue is clearly nvidia driver related (nvlddmkm.sys) so maybe it's worth trying some different ones to what you have now?

Associate
OP
Thanks marc,

Yes, I'm aware it does seem to be Nvidia related and have tried several drivers to date, but just found that one has been released today, so I'm currently downloading it. I'm hoping that if there is an issue that the latest windows update has caused with Nvidia drivers, then this most recent driver is my best option for the fix!

Fingers crossed...

E-I

Back
Top Bottom