Time for some new headphones/headset for console gaming...

Associate
Seems I change these too often but looking for some suggestions/confirmation before buying.

Need a solution to use with both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Have a Soundblaster X7 connected to PS4 at the moment but the One X used via the pad. Chat is important.

Had some Sennheiser GSP500 for a short while which I returned as I didn't feel they sounded good enough for the price compared to some others I've had.

I have a VModa Boom Pro Mic and in the past have connected this to Fidelio X2s, AKG 702s and AKG 712 Pros(have a small Mini XLR adaptor for the mic). The Fidelio's felt a bit big/heavy for me personally and that's why I chose to sell those one. Liked both AKGs and think it'll probably be one of those I go for but before I do, I'm concerned they won't be driven well enough from the Xbox pad??

Only other possible set I've been looking at were the Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Soldato
AKG are are good choice. Can't really do much better for a gaming headphone. You're right though, the Xbox pad won't drive them well enough. That's only useful for easy to drive headphones such as Sennheiser HD5** range.

Using the Xbox pad, you won't get the use of SBX prostudio for positional sound. How come you don't use the X7 with the Xbox?

I don't know much about the ADG1X, but like other Audio Technica's, they should be easy to drive and will work a lot better connected to the Xbox pad compared to the AKG's. Still wouldn't be getting the benefits of SBX prostudio though.

Arguably, AKG's connected to the X7 is the better choice and certainly better value.

Associate
OP
AKG are are good choice. Can't really do much better for a gaming headphone. You're right though, the Xbox pad won't drive them well enough. That's only useful for easy to drive headphones such as Sennheiser HD5** range.

Using the Xbox pad, you won't get the use of SBX prostudio for positional sound. How come you don't use the X7 with the Xbox?

I don't know much about the ADG1X, but like other Audio Technica's, they should be easy to drive and will work a lot better connected to the Xbox pad compared to the AKG's. Still wouldn't be getting the benefits of SBX prostudio though.

Arguably, AKG's connected to the X7 is the better choice and certainly better value.

Cheers. Never connected the Xbox to the X7 just due to the extra cabling which isn't so lounge friendly :p Might look into it again now.

Soldato
Cheers. Never connected the Xbox to the X7 just due to the extra cabling which isn't so lounge friendly :p Might look into it again now.
Both consoles have optical out and support DD5.1 so you can get binaural sound simulation from SB X7.
With one input you just need SPDIF/TOSLINK switch.

K702 is pretty much aural god mode headphone for binaural sound, so no wonder if GSP 500 didn't feel equal to hype.

Associate
OP
Both consoles have optical out and support DD5.1 so you can get binaural sound simulation from SB X7.
With one input you just need SPDIF/TOSLINK switch.

K702 is pretty much aural god mode headphone for binaural sound, so no wonder if GSP 500 didn't feel equal to hype.

Yea. GSPs feel like they've been engineered to provide a more 'gaming headset' sound to my ears and have lost some of the audio quality imo.

Reason I hadn't set the Xbox up was due to the messy chat solution with the X7. The PS4 works great using the BT-W2 Bluetooth adaptor I have. Such a shame Xbox doesn't have a similar solution with the X7 for voice chat.

Back
Top Bottom