Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Caporegime
One of the better images of Striding Edge from yesterday, I always find pictures don't do these walks justice.

IMG_2773.jpg

Soldato
On stoves, has anyone made a DIY can stove?

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/hop-can-stoves-how-to-make-5-ultralight-bikepacking-stoves/

Really light, surprisingly effective, and a DIY project even someone like me can do.

I've made a few of the 'penny stove' style ones. I found them quite difficult to light unless you can sit it on a firm surface or take a tray and pour some meths around the bottom of it to preheat it.
It really needs a windshield too, even on relatively calm days.

I had a heine-pot, a lightweight foil wind shield and a stand made out of some bicycle spokes.

I use a pocket rocket gas stove now. It's less hassle to set up and works in most conditions using stones and stuff lying around as a wind shield.

Soldato
This week I spent a couple of days wildcamping on Glyder Fach in
Snowdonia. One morning I was treated to the most incredible cloud inversion covering Tryfan and Mount Snowdon. Here is a small video of that experience with some drone and timelapse footage. Have a full video coming soon ;)

Soldato
We camped near Inverie on Knoydart last night.
1vUrI24.jpg
Got the ferry in/out and didn't walk far so could get away with taking the big tent for a bit extra luxury. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pint in the UK's most remote pub as he had closed early :(

Snowdonia. One morning I was treated to the most incredible cloud inversion covering Tryfan and Mount Snowdon. Here is a small video of that experience with some drone and timelapse footage. Have a full video coming soon ;)

Wow. Just realised who you are! We're madly addicted to your channel at the moment and have watched every video involving Florence over the past few months and now working our way through the rest. We've copied quite a few of your meal ideas too - in the house though, I dont have a van (yet! - desperately searching for one.)

Soldato
We camped near Inverie on Knoydart last night.
1vUrI24.jpg
Got the ferry in/out and didn't walk far so could get away with taking the big tent for a bit extra luxury. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pint in the UK's most remote pub as he had closed early :(

Wow. Just realised who you are! We're madly addicted to your channel at the moment and have watched every video involving Florence over the past few months and now working our way through the rest. We've copied quite a few of your meal ideas too - in the house though, I dont have a van (yet! - desperately searching for one.)

Haha thanks and glad you like the video's, Florence is our old adventure wagon :)

That looks like a stunning spot for a camp :)

Associate
Oh yeah, just twigged! I watch your videos too.
Camped at Upper Neuadd Reservoir last year, first time to the Brecons camping and decided to go from watching your video.
Not been for a year due to a back injury and I've hated it! :mad:
F

Associate

]
That’s fantastic

Soldato

Wow. I know that area very well (it's virtually on my doorstep) and have done the Cwm Idwal, Devil's Kitchen, Glyder Fawr, Glyder Fach, Tryfan circuit many times, and some climbing on the Idwal slabs. That is by far the best video of the area I have seen. :eek:

Edit: watching the longer video now. It's here if anyone wants to see it.

Edit: Fantastic, although I'm sorry you lost your phone and poles. Looking west you had a great view of Bristly Ridge from your second camping spot. Marvellous. Btw, the "diving board" is called "the cantilever".

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm absolutely made up as Oggie Mountain Rescue chose one of my pics as a winner in their photo competition for this years Christmas cards! :) It was just a chance snap I took while heading back to the car after climbing a couple winters ago and I entered it not expecting anything to come of it.

wUpZZd9h.jpg

Soldato
I'm absolutely made up as Oggie Mountain Rescue chose one of my pics as a winner in their photo competition for this years Christmas cards! :) It was just a chance snap I took while heading back to the car after climbing a couple winters ago and I entered it not expecting anything to come of it.

Cracking photo. The wild Carneddau ponies, fantastic. I know one of the farmers who looks after them (they're hill/upland farmers who round the ponies up for an annual health check).

Edit: here they are.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's fantastic! Never realised they were rounded up and checked. I was over there this morning getting a few routes done. I wanted to get a big day in as I'm off to the alps in a couple weeks but also wanted to get back in time for the match so was up and out of the house at the crack of dawn. Ticked off the slabs, Cneifion Arete, Dolmen Ridge, Bristly Ridge, Pinnacle Rib and North Ridge of Tryfan and made it home just in time for kick off. :D

Back
Top Bottom