Easy web design

Associate
I've currently been hosting and managing my girlfriends website for a few years. It's a Wordpress site, looks ok and she's happy with it, but the problem is it isn't really novice friendly - as in she can't edit any of the info on there. She really wants to be able to, I want her to be able to too, is there a design site out there which is easy to maintain?

Soldato
I've currently been hosting and managing my girlfriends website for a few years. It's a Wordpress site, looks ok and she's happy with it, but the problem is it isn't really novice friendly - as in she can't edit any of the info on there. She really wants to be able to, I want her to be able to too, is there a design site out there which is easy to maintain?
What kind of content is it? Articles and blogs? Or a shop with products and stuff?

WordPress can be pretty simple to administer for certain types of site, just gets a bit more complex when heavily customised...

Associate
OP
Pretty simple really, it's a services website, one service per page with some info & pricing. No ecommerce or anything. It's currently made using Salient, had a simpler theme before that but I don't remember what it was, even that wasn't really novice user friendly.

Permabanned
Pretty simple really, it's a services website, one service per page with some info & pricing. No ecommerce or anything. It's currently made using Salient, had a simpler theme before that but I don't remember what it was, even that wasn't really novice user friendly.

If you are logged in as an administrator or editor you get an "Edit Page" button right at the top of the page as long as you are on the page you want to edit. It really is that simple.

Associate
OP
If you are logged in as an administrator or editor you get an "Edit Page" button right at the top of the page as long as you are on the page you want to edit. It really is that simple.
Not to a novice who isn't au fait with the not very user friendly backend of WordPress with a custom theme.
I'd like to find more of a WYSIWYG type of hosting which is really simple and easy for her to use.

Permabanned
Not to a novice who isn't au fait with the not very user friendly backend of WordPress with a custom theme.
I'd like to find more of a WYSIWYG type of hosting which is really simple and easy for her to use.

Wordpress is a WYSIWYG editor by default unless it's been changed by the developer of the site. Wordpress really is as simple as it should be. Educate her if she can't edit the info on there then website editing isn't for her and someone else should be managing it. Move over to Wix?

Associate
I found something like Rapidweaver (Mac only) to be a good programme for simple web design. However, I moved over to Wordpress as the ability to edit from anywhere is way better.

Soldato

Wordpress is the platform I use for any non-computer person who wants a site and to be able to edit it.

Sounds like she needs proper training instead of the hassle of a new site.

Last edited:
Associate
Wordpress is the platform I use for anyone non-computer person who wants a site and to be able to edit it.

Sounds like she needs proper training instead of the hassle of a new site.

And needs to take a bit of time to get used to it. Once you've used it once, its a doddle.

Soldato
I suggested to a very non-IT colleague to look at Weebly to build her own website. That is incredibly drag and drop, over the element in you want, customise, move onto the next.

It’s not cheap (£5 pcm basic I think) but she’s built herself an alright site from it and it’s functonal.

Back
Top Bottom