QR Codes....can someone clarify something for me.

Caporegime
As far as know it’s just a code for a business, I have one on my Tesco Club card etc but what I’m more curious about is that I’m just watching this video on China where QR codes is taking over to the point where every one and his dog uses QR codes for everything but does that mean I need an app for every business?

Often I see QR codes on shop windows, what do I scan that with? Clearly not my camera app...

Am I meant to download a new app for every QR code?

Last edited:
Caporegime
As far as know it’s just a code for a business, I have one on my Tesco Club card etc but what I’m more curious about is that I’m just watching this video on China where QR codes is taking over to the point where every one and his dog uses QR codes for everything but does that mean I need an app for every business?

Often I see QR codes on shop windows, what do I scan that with? Clearly not my camera app...

Am I meant to download a new app for every QR code?

A qr reader app. They're just a barcode with more data capacity so they can be used to take you straight to a webpage to save you typing it in.

Was it Apple or Android where a few years ago somone found you could brick phones with a dodgy qr code till it got patched?

Soldato
As above all a QR code is is a barcode that can store more information. In China everyone uses them to pay merchants via WeChat or Alipay, which everyone from huge supermarkets to roadside fruit and veg stalls use. Paying in cash is seen as weird. In that case all the QR code contains is the merchant number; it's just easier and quicker than typing it in.

Soldato
Even after I'd trimmed it down my CV ran to just over two pages, so I replaced all my contact info with a QR Code to save space. Weird thing is, I had more replies since doing that than I did before.

Soldato
QR Reader for iPhone.. Google QR code generator and there are loads out there. Some let you track usage which can be helpful if you’re using them for a business

Caporegime
That's quite cool. And also douchey!

A friend of mine did it with "business cards" she hands out to employers etc.. at careers evenings, networking events. I cringed a little but I guess for her, being a potential "woman in tech" and doing something like that, well they seem to love it.

Back
Top Bottom