**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
I've had the avons and found them awful in the wet.
Goodyear as3 are fantastic for the money.

+1 on this. Done about 1k since I had mine fitted a couple of weeks ago and they are brilliant. Great in the wet, quiet and low rolling resistance. They were barely any more expensive than a bunch of mid range brands too.

Man of Honour
I’ve always found AS3 to be pretty poor compared to the top end stuff, so being priced with mid range brands isn’t surprising at all.

Soldato
Just ordered another 2 eagle F1's. kwikfit coming to fit on drive on Wednesday after I found a discount code.

Car will have eagle f1's all round, hope they last longer than the sportcontacts they replaced as not been too impressed with their wet performance as well as longevity.

Man of Honour
I can't find AS3 rear tyres in 275/35/19 non-run flats anywhere :mad:

Am I missing something or have they been discontinued?

EDIT - Found them on tyreleader, very good prices too. There are 3 different types of Goodyear F1 AS3 showing, they are all the non RFT versions but vary in price massively. The only difference between the two I want are one are BMW OE rated, and the others aren't. Is that hugely important?! Fox, looking at you as you rate these tyres highly and no doubt have bought them for the same car :p

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I can't find AS3 rear tyres in 275/35/19 non-run flats anywhere :mad:

Am I missing something or have they been discontinued?

EDIT - Found them on tyreleader, very good prices too. There are 3 different types of Goodyear F1 AS3 showing, they are all the non RFT versions but vary in price massively. The only difference between the two I want are one are BMW OE rated, and the others aren't. Is that hugely important?! Fox, looking at you as you rate these tyres highly and no doubt have bought them for the same car :p

These ones?

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s33...Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_1_Noise:_69dB

Man of Honour
Yeah saw them there but they don't have them in the front size :(

EDIT - They do, but again, not in OE BMW fitting. Does that matter?

The BMW Marked Asymmetric 3 in this size is the RFT tyre. This is what I run on mine. As to whether it matters - I don't know - but I cant be bothered with the argument if there is ever an issue with the diff or something and the non BMW marked tyres get the blame.

Man of Honour
The BMW Marked Asymmetric 3 in this size is the RFT tyre. This is what I run on mine. As to whether it matters - I don't know - but I cant be bothered with the argument if there is ever an issue with the diff or something and the non BMW marked tyres get the blame.

How are you finding the RFT version of the AS3? I'm set on that tyre, and may opt for the RFT version for the reasons you say while I'm still under warranty. Can't be bothered with the hassle of arguing with them

alx

alx

Soldato
It's absolutely fine actually.

Good to know, in my size (275/30 R20) only the run flat AS3 is available - ruled it out as having an RS5 didn't want to make the ride any harder/harsher than it has to be.

Other options are the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti or Falken FK510 - anyone got experience of these?

Soldato
Yes. 4WD cars must have identical tread depths across the axles.

They said that as the 4wd system isn’t perminant the tread difference between the front and rear axle doesn’t mater but they must have matching tyres across the axles and to prevent damage to the diffs they also need to be within 2mm across each axle, they also said this was the same for xDrive and the drive axle on RWD & FWD models.

I got a very blank look when I asked where it states this in the manual. It didn’t affect my claim as all four tyres matched and they were all within 1mm of each other but if they didn’t I don’t think they could have rejected the claim as they don’t detail this in the manual or warranty book.

Not disputing it is better for the diff keeping the rolling circumference the same but if they are going to bring it up for a warranty claim it needs to be in the manual or policy book.

Associate
Good to know, in my size (275/30 R20) only the run flat AS3 is available - ruled it out as having an RS5 didn't want to make the ride any harder/harsher than it has to be.

Other options are the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti or Falken FK510 - anyone got experience of these?

Worth a watch.

I've only had a pair of FK510s on the rear since January so not much use in milage (about 2000) They still look like new and grip exceeded my expectations so I'll definitely be getting the fronts to match when they wear out.

alx

alx

Soldato
Worth a watch.

I've only had a pair of FK510s on the rear since January so not much use in milage (about 2000) They still look like new and grip exceeded my expectations so I'll definitely be getting the fronts to match when they wear out.

Thanks, I've seen that review but still heard mixed things on the Falkens - out of interest which size are you using? As per the review the larger sizes seem to have firmer side walls.

Associate
Thanks, I've seen that review but still heard mixed things on the Falkens - out of interest which size are you using? As per the review the larger sizes seem to have firmer side walls.

265/35/R19
The guy at the garage that fitted them didn't rate them (he thought they were crap tyres)
He'd never tried them on any car though.
He also hates all BMWs.....
He also didn't know how to fit the tyres correctly (yellow dot next to valve)
Not badfor a tyre fitter..
So his opinion was taken with a pinch of salt.
I'd had good experiences with Falken in the past so wanted to give them a punt, glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom