• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to possibly announce even more impressive chip than 7980XE at Computex

Caporegime
It's a custom cooling loop. https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-dominus-spotted-with-28-core-cascade-lake-x-cpu
Looks like 4x80mm coolers on the VRM LOL. 1000w draw from what i hear (take with a pinch of salt).

Interesting that it only has 6 dimm slots (6 channel), perhaps the dominus mobo isn't indicative of other mobo's in the CS-X line...?

overclocked to 4.9Ghz the 7900X pulls 450 watts and that's only a ten core, 28 cores running at that speed 1000 watts is positivity a conservative estimation :D

Soldato
Power draw will be immense! I can pull 700 watts running 4.9 GHz in a cinebench run on 18 cores (and thats when my water is dead cold along with the room in middle of winter). 5.0 GHz on 28 cores must be massive power draw :eek:

Caporegime
They really want the performance crown if they're going to release this chip at those clocks - will be interesting to see what production motherboards look like...

They are not releasing them with these clocks, the TDP is 205 Watts, not 1005 watts..... these are 3.0Ghz chips. this is just Intel marketing, they are suggesting that you can click a few buttons and its running at 5Ghz, that idea is all they have left so they push it relentlessly.

Soldato
OP
With the introduction of this 28 core chip, does this mean its the end of the line for X299 & 2066 and there won't be any further refreshes/releases on the current X299 platform in the future ?

Soldato
The PSU is a Superflower Leadex 1600W Titanium. Some peeps in the link were suggesting that they may have been using a water chiller, if they had been the whole board and pipework would have had to be insulated in the same way that is used for Phase cooling. It could have been a water chiller though but the pics would have shown condensation all over the pipes, coldplate and around the cpu socket.

Associate
overclocked to 4.9Ghz the 7900X pulls 450 watts and that's only a ten core, 28 cores running at that speed 1000 watts is positivity a conservative estimation :D
Yes you're probably right. Though i meant the source i heard that from wasn't 100%.

With the introduction of this 28 core chip, does this mean its the end of the line for X299 & 2066 and there won't be any further refreshes/releases on the current X299 platform in the future ?
Most likely. Actually i think this is socket 3647, it's a repurposed server grade board Asus are using... Not sure. :confused:

Last edited:
Don

It depends whether it actually becomes a thing or not. Although saying that it's not like Intel doesn't have form for releasing dead end platforms for specific processors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Skulltrail

Associate
So it is indeed a heavily overclocked item, intel have not yet released intended boost clocks... i bet they are waiting on TR + first to see how much they need to push it to look good in the eyes of those whole like to see a winner in a test.

Soldato
OP
Most likely. Actually i think this is socket 3647, it's a repurposed server grade board Asus are using... Not sure. :confused:

Cascade Lake-X is indeed 3647 as evident by pics of the 28 core setup. I think unless intel splits Cascade Lake-X into both 3647 & 2066 then I don't think Skylake-X on socket 2066 would get any further refreshes or successor.

Associate
It's a custom cooling loop. https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-dominus-spotted-with-28-core-cascade-lake-x-cpu
Looks like 4x80mm coolers on the VRM LOL. 1000w draw from what i hear (take with a pinch of salt).

Interesting that it only has 6 dimm slots (6 channel), perhaps the dominus mobo isn't indicative of other mobo's in the CS-X line...?
that is the demo rig from Asus booth. The one which ran 5Ghz all cores cinebench was cooled by a phase change in a different rig.

Associate
guys, there is actually 2 different rigs. The one Intel demonstrated in an on stage presentation was cooled by a phase change system with not yet known motherboard nor PSU.
The Asus one is a demo system at Asus booth.

Associate

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Tom's Hardware said:
According to this image we sourced from Engadget's compressed keynote video on YouTube, Intel apparently was running some sort of closed-loop cooling that required insulating material around the tubing. This could be a multi-stage phase cooler (sub-zero cooling), or possibly a more mundane water chiller, under the table. We also spot more shielding over the long rectangular waterblock and what appears to be six sticks of RAM flanking the processor on each side. That implies this platform is based on the (until now) enterprise-class LGA3647 socket. This means the processor could be a variant of the $8,700 Xeon Platinum Scalable processor we reviewed here, albeit with an unlocked multiplier. (That doesn't bode well for pricing). We'll dig for more details and update as necessary.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cpu-28-core-5-ghz,37201.html

Soldato
Nah, that's not insulation - it's the power cable ;)

Seriously this is awesome - both companies pushing as hard as they possibly can is amazing for consumers. I hope AMD have something equally epic waiting to be unleashed...

Back
Top Bottom