• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
No I mean the new intel hedt platform is 3647 which is also their existing xeon platform. The 28 core cpu was running on 3647 and would be the direct competitor to 32 core TR.

The 28 core cpu as the new hedt part won't be on X299 socket 2066.

Might be a bit of a price disparity with the Xeons.

Soldato
Might be a bit of a price disparity with the Xeons.

Yeah the Xeons will retain higher premium but as the 28 core XCC die is huge around 700mm square intel had no choice but to use the xeon platform for the new hedt chip. This chip would be cheaper than the equivalent xeon but definitely more expensive than 32core TR imo.

Soldato
No I mean the new intel hedt platform is 3647 which is also their existing xeon platform. The 28 core cpu was running on 3647 and would be the direct competitor to 32 core TR.

The 28 core cpu as the new hedt part won't be on X299 socket 2066.

I wouldn't build any hopes on intels 28 core overclocked xeon farce. For all we know it was a one off simply to try and spike the AMD announcement for TR.

Soldato
OP
I know I watched Jayz do a month long threadripper test for productivity vs Intel - I think it was the 7980 and in real world tests the threadripper while great was slightly slower than the 7980 under the same cooling. However with close to double the power of the 1950x this new top end chip is going to take the HEDT productivity crown by a significant margin.

AMD arguing that this is a standard Air cooler is almost as funny as Intel's water cooling - but on the flip side if you have a case big enough this will actually work is available now for the Q3 launch. I have no clue but I think it is going to have to be a pretty decent AIO to beat this as an air cooler - or we are in custom loop territory.

wraith-ripper-hsf-645x433.png

Soldato
AMD arguing that this is a standard Air cooler is almost as funny as Intel's water cooling - but on the flip side if you have a case big enough this will actually work is available now for the Q3 launch. I have no clue but I think it is going to have to be a pretty decent AIO to beat this as an air cooler - or we are in custom loop territory.

wraith-ripper-hsf-645x433.png

That thing does look awesome - hard to tell if its taller that the current tr4 Noctua (165mm)

Soldato
OP
I have not seen any indications on price yet so guess work based purely on current chip costs...

Epyc 7551 Launched at $3200 USD. I can't see the 32 Core Threadripper being that high as it is not a server part - but with the 1950X at $999 the 32 Core part launching at $1899 and the 24 core at $1399 seems very possible. If you add that into the HEDT price comparison list that would line up the 32 core part $100 lower than the 7980XE list price for significantly higher productivity performance and the 24 Core part alongside the 7940X just to rub it in.

The current comparable Xeon sitting at $10,000 then puts Intel in a far harder spot than AMD.

Does anyone have any rumors that can let us know if that is in the right ballpark?

Soldato
OP
An affordable* 32 core desktop chip in 2018. Two years ago I wouldn't have thought 16 core chip possible.

I know and a doubling in HEDT processor power in 12 months... Moore's law eat your heart out.

-Edit-

Also Epyc 2 is confirmed as dropping into the SP3 socket on 7nm in 2019 with a 50% higher core count, lower power and higher speed, followed by a 64 Core /128 Thread Epyc probably a little after that.

That means that there is no reason that next year we couldn't have Threadripper 2 a 48 Core/96 Thread 7nm product dropping into todays socket. That is one heck of an upgrade path... theoretically it leads to a 64 Core Threadripper in the future on this chipset as well - but I don't know if that will happen.

It also means that for the rest of us mortals we will probably see 12 and 16 Core Ryzen chips in the not too distant future, and they will probably sit in the current socket as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have not seen any indications on price yet so guess work based purely on current chip costs...

Epyc 7551 Launched at $3200 USD. I can't see the 32 Core Threadripper being that high as it is not a server part - but with the 1950X at $999 the 32 Core part launching at $1899 and the 24 core at $1399 seems very possible. If you add that into the HEDT price comparison list that would line up the 32 core part $100 lower than the 7980XE list price for significantly higher productivity performance and the 24 Core part alongside the 7940X just to rub it in.

The current comparable Xeon sitting at $10,000 then puts Intel in a far harder spot than AMD.

Does anyone have any rumors that can let us know if that is in the right ballpark?

Well 32 core Threadripper will only have 4 channels instead of 8 on EPYC, while Intel (if this thing doesn't get cancelled out of embarrassment along the way) has the full 6 channels the server chip does.

AMD won't price it at full EPYC prices, I'd be very surprised if that was the case and Intel... this is a PR thing and they have so much cash on hand, have been paying out literally billions in payments to people to buy their chips so the idea of selling chips at say 2k just to make AMD drop their prices is not insane. We're talking about probably, generously 10k chips that might get sold even if they were only priced at say 2.5k, so even if due to yields and due to not selling them as server chips in terms of a PR move it's cheap.

As such I wouldn't try to guess expected pricing off current pricing of the same chips in a different segment.

Next year will be interesting though, or maybe 2020 if we have two steps on server at 7nm, 48core then 64 core later, they may simply have moved 64 core up deciding 7nm yields are great and demand is so high that they had a chance to stamp on Intel. Also Intel's delays open up possibilities, making a statement of 64 core server before 2019 ends while Intel probably won't have 10nm server stuff till mid/late 2020, they'd have 64 cores going up against 28 core Intel. So their plans may simply have moved up to really take as much market share as possible before Intel gets ramped on 10nm.

Anyway, if/when they do move towards such large cores for both EPYC and Threadripper, then 8/4 channel memory starts to look a little anaemic along with the core count. I wonder if we might see say 48 core drop in replacement for SP3, but 64 core bring a new socket along with say triple channel mem controller per core. That would also work out for desktop as well, AM4+/5 for triple channel as again dual channel to feed 12-16 core Ryzen desktop looks a little tight. The alternatives here might be HBM, for desktop you could fit enough HMB on die to frankly replace system memory, 16-32gb should be easy. For server, if you got IF into an interposer such that it's smaller and the chips can essentially sit right next to each other you'd probably have room for HBM chips around the cores, though for server I would see the HBM being more like a massive L4 cache, then buttloads of system memory.

Maybe DDR5 is the easier answer, new boards, still two mem controllers but DDR5 provides the bandwidth boost required.

Back
Top Bottom