New Neogeo?

Soldato
Will be trash I guarantee it.
Its a shame because out of all these mini console relaunches the Neo Geo is the one that deserves the most amount of love and detail applied to it.

Man of Honour
OP
I did like the NeoGeo X, but the emulation was just a version of FinalBurn Alpha running on a modified Dingoo A3something board. Firmware updates improved it, but it was never just right. Also the screen wasn't vibrant enough and 16x9?! There was a mapped button to reset to 4x3 which was better.

Mine was an early one with the MicroSD card glued to the motherboard. :D Guess how hard that was to mod? ;)

NeoGeo does need a good mini version really. Would be very happy if what they did was recreate the joystick properly *the NGX version needed some work to make it good, spring and button change mainly* and embed the hardware inside the stick and makes a second stick available for 2 player. You can get Joystick kits for the Pi which hold the Pi inside, so it's not a complicated thing really.

A mini cabinet is possible. Although cool, would probably be too big for most people.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm..... Not sure.

DcT9v3iU0AAnpaH

DcUL534WkAAHw0M

Apparently has TV out as well. Depends on the screen quality (has a 3.5" screen in it ), audio quality,and most importantly.... price. It's SNK, so expect reasonably expensive.

Soldato
meh - why waste money on a tiny screen and a (likely) poor joystick.

they should have made something with a decent joystick that only plugs into the tv.
i'll be sticking to the pi then.

Permabanned
I had a Neo Geo cart and Neo CD back in the early to mid 90s. Destroyed everything before the PS1 and even some games on PS1 couldnt compete with likes of Samurai Showdown.
I remember going to London once and using the black memory card from Neo Cart and plugging it into Arcade machine and continuing from home on game Fatal Fury like a save game!!
This was long before the PS1 was even around with its memory card. SNK were bigtime innovaters in the Arcades

Man of Honour
OP
The X was a good concept and not totally horrendous. I don't think SNK liked it much though as they pulled it so quickly.
Hardware inside wasn't really up to it and the screen was completely the wrong aspect ratio. Build quality was excellent and the controls were great. It was basically a Dingoo handheld with a new shell.

Man of Honour
OP
May have to try to get the Japanese version, then hopefully flash the european version over the top, unless they're nice and include language options. Oooh, hopefully Unibios it too. :D Much prefer the japanese minicab, correct colour buttons and the like. Instead of that pad, why not a replica of the AES stick again? That is a great stick.

Will still be surprised if it's sub £100.

Man of Honour
OP
Well, it's surprisingly not as horrifically expensive as I was fearing.

https://www.snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=NEOGEOmini

Console with aluminium card case *oooooohhhh* - 13'020 yen - £89
Console with 1 pad (white or black) - 15'420 yen - £106
Console with 2 pads (1 white and 1 black) - 18'420 yen - £126
Console with a backpack - 32'420 yen - £223

Base units already appearing on ebay for £150.... *sigh*

No UK preorders as of yet.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
If it's under a £100 here, I'll pick one up. If not I'll stick with my AES and Frontloader :D

Same here, but I've got a 2 slot unibiosed MVS board that I need to consolise. Currently just a board and parts of a wiring harness.
Did go looking for a flashcart, but the only one worth having is £400!?! I don't think so at the moment. I'll stick with some of the bootleg carts I've picked up.

Soldato
Same here, but I've got a 2 slot unibiosed MVS board that I need to consolise. Currently just a board and parts of a wiring harness.
Did go looking for a flashcart, but the only one worth having is £400!?! I don't think so at the moment. I'll stick with some of the bootleg carts I've picked up.

That the TerraOnion NeoSD thingy one? I got the PC Engine version. I have a few arcade conversion carts for my AES, and I unibios'ed it too with a socket too :)

Man of Honour
OP
lol at that guys voice!

anyway, its a shame they didn't just make a joystick to plug into a tv, the tiny cabinet is just too gimmicky and not useful. I won't be buying.

Yup. A replica of the original AES Stick *microswitched as it should be* and a power and HDMI port. That's all that's needed. They could even do that with a Pi Zero...

Back
Top Bottom