God of War 4

Soldato
7/10 at best for me. glad it's finished got no desire to do the collectibles.
biggest flaw was the map/realms and the and the way it was supposed to work. I just found it got in the way, was unnecessary and could have been done much better, the flow of the game really suffered.

Nearing the end but that's how I feel, still enjoyable but I'll forget it in a month. Hope to finish it at the weekend.

Soldato
I also finished the game about an hour ago (long credits!).

8/10

It is a good game, particularly the writing is sharp - all characters and their interaction are well written and defined. Voice acting is perfect as well. Graphics is technically incredible (but read below).

I mostly enjoyed it, but things that hampered my enjoyment:

- incredibly stale, one note visual design - I felt like 90% of the time I was in some boring caverns, the world just isn't very fun to explore and kind of lacks in atmosphere compared to games like Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come

- the gameplay got a bit stale as well. There is only so many times I can see the same combat animations over and over again before they become boring, and the repetition is strong with this one. Eventhough I was switching my runes and weapons and trying out new moves, for a dedicated combat game it got old a bit too quickly.

I would like to see GoW 2 if they can keep quality of writing and improve these aspects. Give me world populated with more than just monsters, more varied and beautiful. Give me more expansive agency and scope of interaction beyond just combat.

I have to say my faith in videogame journalism hit a new low here, with how overhyped they made this game.

Soldato
I might be a bit stupid but I caved in and bought it digitally along with U4 (wanted to replay it but sold my copy) since both were discounted. The price wasn't too bad with a bunch of cheaper PSN cards. I hope it's worth keeping and replaying at some point since I can't sell it anyways:p

Soldato
Played a bit. The game seems like some weird cross between TLoU and Dark Souls and the combat system feels awkward so far. Certainly doesn't feel like GoW. It is enjoyable overall but I don't think it'll be a 10/10 for me unless it becomes utterly amazing later.

What's the worst is that it's the first game that managed to turn my PS4 into a vacuum cleaner. Seriously, it's so distracting I can't even enjoy the game properly.

Soldato
Gonna stick with it but I'm definitely an utter idiot for getting it digitally just because there was a discount. It feels like a "been there, done that" affair. The camera, the contextual controls, the gameplay style, no jump button... The combat is surprisingly poor so far with no jump combos and those weird stutters on each hit. The story is promising and the graphics are great but it makes my PS4 Pro rather loud most of the time. Maybe not unbearably so but close to it so I'd rather continue with Nier in silence as I find it more interesting.

Shapes up to be one of the most overrated games this generation so far. I can easily enjoy it and see its merits etc. but I don't think it's anything exceptional or groundbreaking and it doesn't help it was the most expensive title I've bought in the last couple of years or so, even after the discount.

Soldato
The combat is surprisingly poor so far with no jump combos and those weird stutters on each hit.

Don't know how far you are, but once you've unlocked a bunch of skills, the combat flows beautifully. It feels amazing being in the middle of a mob of beasties and dodging, blocking, parrying and countering, then walking away without a scratch :D
The game surely has it's faults and it probably only an 8/10, but I'm not sure that poor combat is one of it's flaws :)

(also your PS4 might be broken if it's stuttering? Or maybe try a different video setting?)

Soldato
Love this series and this didn't disappoint.

10/10 for me

Visually unreal, hard to look at other games now! Story telling and script was excellent :)

Set up nicely for the next game.

Soldato
Don't know how far you are, but once you've unlocked a bunch of skills, the combat flows beautifully. It feels amazing being in the middle of a mob of beasties and dodging, blocking, parrying and countering, then walking away without a scratch :D
The game surely has it's faults and it probably only an 8/10, but I'm not sure that poor combat is one of it's flaws :)

(also your PS4 might be broken if it's stuttering? Or maybe try a different video setting?)

No, I mean the intentional visual "stutter" or slight pause of some attacks on hit (especially with fists) they've probably done to emphasise each strike. Poor wording on my part, the game runs normally, apart from making my PS4 louder than any other title most of the time.

I'm not far, have just met Brok. The game is nice, feels polished and maybe is even worth keeping (not that I can sell it:p). It's just that it's extremely derivative and the TLoU/Tomb Raider influences are very obvious, with some Dark Souls mixed in. It feels less unique and focused than its predecessors.

The combat isn't bad and can be quite satisfying, just has nothing on e.g. Bloodborne so far. Maybe it'll get better once I unlock more stuff but, when fighting multiple enemies, it plods more than flows. It can get very chaotic and janky, especially with the poor FOV making the fights more annoying than they should be. It doesn't feel like it's been made with fighting multiple foes in mind.

I hope to be proven wrong and the game turns out to be really great and worth replaying, I'm still not far into it.

Associate
Game picks up massively after about halfway. If the first half was as good as the second then it would have been more deserving of the review scores. However I think a jump/climb mechanism in this day and age is a must for a third persom game imo or it just feels restricted for me.

Soldato
I agree, no dedicated jump button/jump combos or proper climbing makes it feel robotic. I hoped for a bit more involving and open gameplay but I'll see how it goes. I think too many games nowadays try to be too much like movies.

Soldato
Just finished and loved it from beginning to end! Truly epic in scope and story - really can't wait to see what happens next!

I am however a total GoW fanboy so my opinion probably means little! :p

Soldato
Ive really got to finish this, got so far and just stopped, other things took my attention away.

How long is the story roughly, if you just concentrate on the main quest and maybe a few side quests here and there.

To get an idea on where I am..
got to the lake done a few side quests and visited 2 realms I believe, one being the flying elf type people and the other I have just began and can't quite remember what I was doing.

Soldato
I'm at Alfheim myself and it's still an enjoyable, pretty looking formulaic slog. The combat has indeed gotten better but the enemy variety is meh. The axe "puzzles" are already getting tiresome.

I'm also not too impressed by the locales so far, apart from a couple of beautiful vistas. Too many caves and bland corridor forests. They could've done better with such a setting. Graphically, it looks great but most of the places so far were forgettable and it shouldn't be like that after a couple of hours into a 10/10 masterpiece.

But it's good enough to keep playing. I paid too much for it, though, even with the discount.

Permabanned
Gave up on it about a week or so ago.

I liked it a lot. Had some really great moments and whilst the combat felt unintuitive and dull at the start, it ended up evolving quite nicely.

it was just far too long for my liking. The narrative just wasn't compelling enough for me to want to stick with it. Even by the time I was halfway through (confirmed by a friend) I felt it had gone on for far too long.

Back
Top Bottom