I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
I primarily wanted something super cheap for my classroom, kids are always wanting to print stuff and at that price I couldn’t say no! I can always take it with me if I move jobs so I’m not relying on the School to have one.

Still have a tronxy x1 I’m waiting to build, think I only paid about £70 for that one, just need to get rid of y11 so I have some free time after school!

Associate
Not 3d printer, but thought you guys would be the most likely to know.
Where can I order some pre cut (CNC) wood.
Essentially S shaped pieces around 4ftx2ft.

I know it's something Ooznest in Essex want to do, maybe give them a ring next week (Ryan, the person you want is off until Tuesday) and see if they can help. They have the machines to doing the cut but would have to source the wood.

J.

Man of Honour
Depends what level of DIY you are prepared for and how heavy duty usage. I've been pretty impressed by the Monoprice Select Mini and Select Plus for out the box printers - don't quite have the feature level of some of the more advanced offerings (i.e. if you want to start using more exotic filaments) but close to no assembly required, very few steps to start printing and I've not see another printer that can rival them for out the box printing quality - some of the more advanced models can do better with tweaking and a lot of experience.

For a hobbyist, etc. they are pretty ideal but if you have a bit more intensive use in mind i.e. mass printing parts for commercial products then you'd have to start upgrading some bits for better durability, etc.

Soldato
I buy filament from hobby king, roughly £12 for 1kg of pla. Might arrive a bit slow if you’re wanting something for Monday though.

Sunlu? on amazon has been good but it is a bit more expensive.

Soldato
No mods, prints out of the box just fine!

If you set aside an hour you will easily get it built with some spare time, there are a few gaps in the instructions but it’s easy enough to work out what to do. Plenty of YouTube vids if you get stuck!

Soldato
Want to get into a 3D printing world, what would guys recommend for say 300-400 all in?

I have a wanhao i3 printer and you can buy it for about £300-350. I printed this out for my mum and this is the largest print Ive done so far..........Its about 175mm tall. and those odd lines in the print, spoil the print, but are suppose to be there:mad:

2zxupew.jpg

6sv2ir.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks guys, think I'm going to get cr10s

Seems to have the best specs

Heated bed
Big work area
Decent price (just under £400)
Decent community support
And little assembly.

Soldato
I have a CR-10 as well as the ender 3 and the quality is exactly the same, the only difference is the print volume.

Also worth noting that the CR-10 takes up quite a lot of room compared to the ender.

Edit.. the ender 3 bed heats up a fair bit quicker which is a bonus.

Soldato
I'm having trouble deciding between CR-10, CR-10S, Tevo Tornado, Anet E12 and JGAURORA A5

Tornado is cheapest, but Tevo seems to be hated as a company (£255 cheapest from Germany too so no import tax lottery to worry about)
CR-10S is most expensive but has the upgrades (£345 cheapest)
CR-10 still expensive and without upgrades of S but has huge community (£278)
E12 seems like a solid CR10 clone and cheaper than CR-10 (£236 cheapest overall price)
JGAURORA A5 is decent price, prints pretty much every filament, all reviewers seem to say it's perfect, but it's newest one and most reviewers haven't had it long so longevity may be an issue ? (£249)

Soldato
Do you need the build volume of these printers?

The creality ender 3 bed size is 220x220x250 and is currently selling on banggood for £136! I’d probably have went straight for the ender over the cr-10 if they were released at the same time.

The forums for creality are amazing, you struggle to keep up with the amount of posts in the groups.

Soldato
Do you need the build volume of these printers?

The creality ender 3 bed size is 220x220x250 and is currently selling on banggood for £136! I’d probably have went straight for the ender over the cr-10 if they were released at the same time.

The forums for creality are amazing, you struggle to keep up with the amount of posts in the groups.

Yep I need the larger size for some of the things I'm planning to build, I just can't decide which one as they all seem to get thumbs up from everyone just they all have their minor quirks

Soldato
The only negative for the cr-10 has been the bed, it’s far from flat so needs some attention to get it printing well. Definitely recommend if you need the build volume. I’d personally save the cash and get the standard non S variant unless you find had a really good deal close to £300

Soldato
yeah I'd want a bigger build volume too for things I'm planning to build.

CR-10 sounds like the best bet but the BED is useless for abs without enclosure? looking online it does indeed take AGES to heat up and often doesn't reach the temps required for ABS.

what other filaments are around that can be left in sun without melting like PLA?

Soldato
The only negative for the cr-10 has been the bed, it’s far from flat so needs some attention to get it printing well. Definitely recommend if you need the build volume. I’d personally save the cash and get the standard non S variant unless you find had a really good deal close to £300

Yeah the bed is too weak, I guess I could mod it but then it's extra money and if the Tornado is the same but better (dangerous) bed and £60 cheaper that's money for upgrades

Watching this guy though

Seems like any of them are a good shout from the CR10 Tornado or A5

Associate
Thinking of putting my CR10S up for sale - it's been superb for what I needed it for, but am now thinking a small CNC mill will be better suited as wanting parts made out of wood and aluminium.

Anyone else moved to a cnc mill - any good makes out there?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom