Spec me a 70cm wide fridge freezer

Soldato
After my 6 year old boy "assisted" me with washing the car on Sunday, by turning the cold tap in the kitchen on full blast, then knocking the hose connector off it's seal, I'm now having to deal with my insurer to replace our tumble dryer and fridge freezer.

They've sorted an exact replacement for the dryer, but we're currently negotiating over the fridge freezer (a 12 year old Hotpoint FFL49, due to it being a) quite old and b) 70cm wide, with a fairly unusual feature - a drop-down glass panel in the fridge door (see pic), meaning I don't have to open the door fully to grab the milk for my brew and the rest of the fridge maintains a constant temperature.
m8RNtUE

m8RNtUE

http://imgur.com/m8RNtUE

Since I keep approx £200k worth of blood product in my fridge (two of my spawn and I have a bleeding disorder), this is a pretty handy feature to have, along with the MicroBan antibacterial interior.

I should hear back from my loss adjustor in the morning, hopedhope with a suggestion of a suitable replacement - but I thought I would ask here.

Must haves:
  • Either 70 (or up to 92cm) wide
  • Stainless Steel or White
  • MicroBan/antibacterial internals
  • Decent amount of freezer space
Would like but not essential:
  • Water dispenser (can be plumbed in)
  • Child lock (my son was responsible for our last claim, after leaving the freezer open all night - apparently Lego Luke & Han were "stranded on Hoth")
  • Some sort of device to stop my wife opening the new milk, before the current bottle is finished!
Chances are, insurer will offer vouchers to the retailer that rhymes with Schmurrys/Schmee-See Schmurld - although I can likely convince them to give me the cash to buy from John Lewis instead...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Must haves:
  • 70cm wide
  • Stainless Steel or White
  • MicroBan/antibacterial internals
  • Decent amount of freezer space

All of the above would be standard on any decent fridge freezer I would have thought.

Would like but not essential:
  • Water dispenser (can be plumbed in)
  • Child lock (my son was responsible for our last claim, after leaving the freezer open all night - apparently Lego Luke & Han were "stranded on Hoth")
  • Some sort of device to stop my wife opening the new milk, before the current bottle is finished!
Water dispenser is available on more expensive models so that is easy too. However I have never heard of the other 2 and I bought the most expensive fridge freezer that would fit my space. Reason being it came with a 10 year warranty and after all I'm going to be eating what is left inside of it so I want it to be kept fresh and I like all my drinks ice cold so I went with the most expensive model from john Lewis that would fit.

You should probably do the same. Just go on john lewis and see what fits and go from there.

Associate
Looks nice but the price is eye-watering! And it's bigger than you asked for?
Also, had to laugh at this gimmick:

Insta View
With LG's unique glass window, you can see inside your fridge without needing to open the door. All you need to do is knock on the panel twice to reveal your fridge's contents.

Seriously?! :D

Caporegime
the only one which suits him that is 70 cm is this one

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-r...rgy-rating-70cm-wide-stainless-steel/p1499454

none of the others have water dispensers on such small fridge freezers.

i can't remember the size of mine tbh but it was around £1200. i think it might only be 60cm i think i can see it now on JL and it's around £1K now.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-r...rgy-rating-60cm-wide-stainless-steel/p1957432

this is the one i have i think. if i had the space i'd kill for one with a water dispenser and a ice maker. however the gap where it sits was around 65 cm

Soldato
OP
Isn't that 90cm wide?

Yes - the current fridge sits in a 720mm wide gap.

...but having married a bathroom designer who can visualize these things far better than I, she assures me a 900 wide American style will fit on the wall opposite, in front of the sliding door to our kitchen (which will be removed and a traditional door put in its place).

I sgoush have amended the post - apologies.

Caporegime
depends totally on the insurance company on how they handle it. if they are trying to replace with beko good luck on trying to get any upgrades.

may be better off asking for a cash/voucher option then buying what you want. obviously by adding more money on top

Back
Top Bottom