Hayfever - Thread

Associate
Looks like mines finally stopped. Suffered for years like a lot of you, been declining for the past few years. This year, my eyes itch. Thats it. Only took 40+ years.
Mine has definitely got better year on year, I'm always hoping it'll go away completely one year. Pirinase and the citrizine keeps me ok (ish) if I hide inside during June.

Soldato
I've had it since my early teens, so 20 years now. Real bad, real bad. Nose like a tap, bunged up, itchy eyes... Classic.

When I was young the doctor gave me some chest inhaler like a big brown disc. Didn't do anything really. I moved to Dubai for a few years and it cleared up, of course, but came back even worse when I moved home again. Discovered Fexofenadine through this thread and it helped for a while but I was still treating the symptoms.

Then about a week ago I found a (albeit american) website article titled "you're treating your allergies wrong" or something. Anyway it recommended a bunch of nasal steroids, the one I could find without a prescription was Fluticasone.. or Pirinase. Waited for a rare moment of clear breathing first thing in the morning, took a shot up each nostril.

It didn't do much for the first 2 days but I tell you 5 days in I'm a new man. Literally no nose nonsense, no itchy eyes, no wheezing.

Genuinely turned my life around. Stopped treating the symptoms, now I don't have them. Take a couple of squeezes first thing in the morning and because Mrs Cat likes to sleep with every window in the house open I repeat the dose before bed.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I think the biggest game changer to my hayfever chaos after 25+ years has been paracetamol tablets, they really do assist the anti histamine tablet by reducing the inflammation in my nose, sinus and head and well everywhere and really do assist the hayfever tablet in reducing the zombie effects.

If people are struggling maybe try Paracetamol tablets for 1-2 days see how it goes.

Soldato
Never suffered from Hay Fever before...until now, at the ripe old age of 34. I can’t understand how it can just flare up like this, and only one side too, I seem to be getting all the symptoms on my right side, which is baffling to me.

Soldato
What eye drops can people recommend?

I use Alomide (lodoxamide) or Opatanol (Olopatadine) both prescription only , I suffer conjunctivitis on regular basis and always have some antibiotic drops in the fridge ready . I have had a corneal graft in my left eye but its my good right eye that always gets infect grrrr

I clean my eyes lids with boiled cooled water or saline few times week and have not had conjunctivitis this year (fingers x) I finally took notice of my consultant about eye hygiene 9 years on lol

Soldato
Nasal spray I take (Avamys) usually helps me out a lot, but the past week or two I've had the usual symptoms worse than normal. Plus I can't take the nasal spray all the time as I get nose bleeds :(

Man of Honour
I cannot stop ******* sneezing today. Seriously cannot stop.

Damp tissue, roll it up and stick it up your nose. When in the house, I'm rocking the tissue up the nose look 100% of the time. Only way I can stop sneezing. I even had to drive to work like it the other day, and just have my hand in front of my nose to stop people seeing. :p

Soldato
Damp tissue, roll it up and stick it up your nose. When in the house, I'm rocking the tissue up the nose look 100% of the time. Only way I can stop sneezing. I even had to drive to work like it the other day, and just have my hand in front of my nose to stop people seeing. :p

I'll try any bloody thing to stop this, it's awful. Haven't had it this bad since the 90s.

Man of Honour
I'll try any bloody thing to stop this, it's awful. Haven't had it this bad since the 90s.

Seriously, this works every time for me. Don't stick it up too far and don't roll it too thin, needs to be thick enough to stay in your nostrils without holding it. You might sneeze a few times at first but once your nose adjusts, it's bliss. Just need to try and forget you look like an idiot :D

Soldato
Lol why don’t you try the Vaseline or vicks up your nose instead that’s always helped me

Soldato
Mine's been ok today but this week has been horrible. So tired from it and not exactly the greatest in the evenings with the mrs, 'hold on woman til I blow my nose again'!

Back
Top Bottom