Upgrade Itch

Soldato
Will be off to Singapore and Hong Kong in September and I was looking at my options in terms of upgrading my kit to see what is possible and to welcome any suggestions you chaps may have.

Currently got a Canon 600D with a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens which has served me well at enthusiast level, but I want to look at what path I should be looking towards to taking it to the next level for image quality and functionality.

Budget is around £500-600 depending on options available.

Caporegime
What do you mainly take pictures of?

This.

Really good aps-c lenses are the Sigma 16-35mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 if you're looking for a bit more in terms of zoom range than the kit lens.

But a full frame body with a 24-70 f/2.8 would be perfect if the kit lens provides the range you need.

Soldato
If you ever plan to get a full frame camera, then I would personally just get a 35mm prime for now if the budget is around what you've said . You should be able to pick up a used sigma ata 1.4 at that price point and it's an amazing lens .

That way in the future you're able to use that on a full frame which of you bought an ad-hoc specific lens you wouldn't.

Caporegime
That's my favourite lens at the moment but I would probably recommend the Sigma 16-35mm f/1.8 on APCs-c or the 24-70mm f/2.8 on full frame for the versatility in street shots, I doubt he's gonna make a lot of use of the lens @ f/1.4.

Now I don't know anything about the Canon side but surely that money he's looking at brand new? I bought my 35mm Art for Nikon a few months ago and it was £550.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'll probably move to full frame in 3-4 years but at the moment just on the lookout for something to get better pictures.

@sHo0sH is this the one you are talking about? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-35mm-F1-4-Lens-Canon/dp/B00A35X6NU

@Energize I'd probably look for second hand if I'm honest, spending £500-600 just for one lens is a big stretch and any money saved to contribute to other gear later on would be ideal.

Caporegime
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'll probably move to full frame in 3-4 years but at the moment just on the lookout for something to get better pictures.

@sHo0sH is this the one you are talking about? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-35mm-F1-4-Lens-Canon/dp/B00A35X6NU

@Energize I'd probably look for second hand if I'm honest, spending £500-600 just for one lens is a big stretch and any money saved to contribute to other gear later on would be ideal.

Yeah that's the lens he's talking about. I considered second hand myself but considering the price they are going for I didn't consider it worthwhile when considering the warranty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-18-35mm-F1-8-Lens-Canon/dp/B00DBL0NLQ/

And that's the lens I mentioned earlier.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Thought I'd bump this thread instead of making another!

Think I'm set on getting the Sigma 35mm f1.4 and taking only that. It seems to fit the bill for street photos and landscape and will also be a handy lens when I upgrade in the future!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A35X...olid=231MY0F2RAAYI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If anyone would suggest otherwise I'm welcome to your thoughts :)

P.S. Will be mounted on a 600D

Soldato
Thought I'd bump this thread instead of making another!

Think I'm set on getting the Sigma 35mm f1.4 and taking only that. It seems to fit the bill for street photos and landscape and will also be a handy lens when I upgrade in the future!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A35X...olid=231MY0F2RAAYI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If anyone would suggest otherwise I'm welcome to your thoughts :)

P.S. Will be mounted on a 600D

On your 600D I'd go for the Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art, particularly as you don't intend on going full frame for ages yet.
As it's not designed for full frame its much lighter and smaller but just as sharp, a little wider and half the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-30mm...id=1533582879&sr=8-2&keywords=sigma+30mm+f1.4

Caporegime
Personally I'd prefer something wider, I don't think 56/48mm is a good focal length, especially for landscapes and street photography. I was constantly having to step back as the camera didn't match my field of view and that's not a luxury you always have with street. That's why I would recommend the 16-35 f/1.8.

Since you have a 17-50mm I would use that to find the best focal length for you.

Soldato
OP
On your 600D I'd go for the Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art, particularly as you don't intend on going full frame for ages yet.
As it's not designed for full frame its much lighter and smaller but just as sharp, a little wider and half the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-30mm...id=1533582879&sr=8-2&keywords=sigma+30mm+f1.4

Would you still opt for the f/1.4 Art if the 35mm was available to you for £75-100 more?

Personally I'd prefer something wider, I don't think 56/48mm is a good focal length, especially for landscapes and street photography. I was constantly having to step back as the camera didn't match my field of view and that's not a luxury you always have with street. That's why I would recommend the 16-35 f/1.8.

Since you have a 17-50mm I would use that to find the best focal length for you.

Bit of a tricky one to be honest as I was all set on the 35mm but now undecided once again lol.

Caporegime
I just sold my sigma art 35mm and yeah was about 500 used I got for it

I don't use the range 30-100 (aps-c) at all for any of my photography. So I sold it. If you do, the few pics I took were fantastic.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have the USB calibration device for their Sigma lens? Hearing mixed reviews on whether you need this or not, one user said HSM did not work with his 35mm on his 600d until connecting it to the usb device.

Soldato
Does anyone have the USB calibration device for their Sigma lens? Hearing mixed reviews on whether you need this or not...

About 3 weeks ago I went to my local camera shop with the intention of purchasing a Sigma 16-35 f1.8. When I got there, the sales guy asked me if I would like to try one on my camera body (Nikon D7100). I took off my 35mm f1.8 DX prime and tried the Sigma 16-35, I walked around outside for about 5 minutes took a dozen or so 'test' photo's. I was so dissappointed reviewing them on my LCD, not a single shot was sharp. Next I tried (what you've already got) the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (for Nikon) and that performed better. Put my 35mm f1.8 DX back on and went back outside, it was clearly sharper than the two Sigma's. The sales guy reviewed the pictures with me on my LCD display and he didn't seem at all surprised by the results. He then goes on to inform me that I will need the dock and I will need to calibrate the lens myself. I walked...;)

Soldato
OP
About 3 weeks ago I went to my local camera shop with the intention of purchasing a Sigma 16-35 f1.8. When I got there, the sales guy asked me if I would like to try one on my camera body (Nikon D7100). I took off my 35mm f1.8 DX prime and tried the Sigma 16-35, I walked around outside for about 5 minutes took a dozen or so 'test' photo's. I was so dissappointed reviewing them on my LCD, not a single shot was sharp. Next I tried (what you've already got) the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (for Nikon) and that performed better. Put my 35mm f1.8 DX back on and went back outside, it was clearly sharper than the two Sigma's. The sales guy reviewed the pictures with me on my LCD display and he didn't seem at all surprised by the results. He then goes on to inform me that I will need the dock and I will need to calibrate the lens myself. I walked...;)

Any particular reason why you didn't want to calibrate? I've heard the dock is only about £40 and works for a range of sigma lenses.

Back
Top Bottom