• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K Disaster, Bent on one side despite not applying much pressure when installing

Soldato
Yep, I know they don't really test items to do a quick RMA. Nothing to lose really, worst they could say is say no, not under warranty.

Of course, it's highly unlikely they will replace it, but who knows.

I'd grab another CPU and sent that one away to intel. Then sell the replacement if you get one. Intel are very good with RMA's and warranty so yeah nothing to loose there. If anything it can be a keychain memento if they decline it.

I know the feeling as I've killed a brand new £300 mobo before. Applying a bit too much pressure and slipped with a screwdriver and knocked a few small caps off and it certainly is painful. But we are all only human.

Associate
OP
I'd grab another CPU and sent that one away to intel. Then sell the replacement if you get one. Intel are very good with RMA's and warranty so yeah nothing to loose there. If anything it can be a keychain memento if they decline it.

I know the feeling as I've killed a brand new £300 mobo before. Applying a bit too much pressure and slipped with a screwdriver and knocked a few small caps off and it certainly is painful. But we are all only human.

Damn that must have been stressful! Thanks for the reassuring words, feel a bit better now some time has passed. Can't reverse it so best getting some parts and moving on. Will try the RMA though.

Associate
OP
Have you got a pic of mobo with the CPU holder open ?

IMG_20180606_214235_HDR-X3.jpg

Soldato
Hmmmm I've not seen that socket before so I was wonder it the notch bits were on the corner.

Very odd as if you pushed it in that far surly the pins on the board would be bent or the CPU holder would be broken?

Them PCBs are pretty tough

If its not accepted by Intel i would attempt a fix as others have said.

Some sort of holder and then a G clamp on top to push down the middle. Use some wood so no damage is caused. Just keep giving a turn Evey now and then

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Might be a daft question and i might have missed it if its been asked. But does the cpu still work? Yes its bent but it might still possibly work with the cooler pushing it down.

Caporegime
Jesus ... its likely the die area is dead as the bend is fairly inclinded . Personally id purchase the overclockers warrenty from.intel and then a fortnight later send it back for a replacement . Highly unlikely they inspect under those citcumstances .

I don’t think it’ll be near the die, the 8700k die is pretty small. I wouldn’t be surprised if it still worked. Have you tried it op?

Associate
OP
Afraid I get a CPU Error Code 00, although that doesn't mean the CPU is finished, could be a motherboard problem. This was when i booted originally, might be better now i've straightened it a bit.

Associate
OP
From that I would say one side of the chip was not in properly and it was at an angle in the socket.

I'm assuming when installing the plate you screw it in a a bit at a time in each corner to get even pressure.

That could be the reason. I can't remember making this basic error but perhaps my mind was on autopilot and I wasn't concentrating.

Permabanned
That could be the reason. I can't remember making this basic error but perhaps my mind was on autopilot and I wasn't concentrating.
We've all been there, new CPU, more gigahertz, rush install, break something, scream.

I don't have any mental issues, but when I'm building a new pc it only takes someone to open their mouth for me to slam the door in their face and have dark thoughts about using that screwdriver incorrectly.

Associate
I don't have any mental issues, but when I'm building a new pc it only takes someone to open their mouth for me to slam the door in their face and have dark thoughts about using that screwdriver incorrectly.

That's me all over... Especially whilst the CPU socket is open and all the pins are exposed! People, animals, dust, stray hairs/fluff, oxygen can all do one at that critical moment :p.

Back
Top Bottom