What game did you play last?

Soldato
Sunday we played Mare Nostrum: Empires. I got screwed out by building order, as two of us managed to get the resources for the Pyramids on the same turn. After that was London, which remains good. I got lucky in obtaining two Hospitals to go with the East India Company, then managed to assemble five North boroughs and got both Train Station Norths and the Underground - although I was one card short of activating the second station. I ended up winning by 25 points, which is kind of silly.

In between we tried a round of Decrypto, a team based word guessing game in the vein of Codenames. Each team has four hidden words that remain the same throughout. One member of each team serves as the Encryptor in each round, and secretly draws a card with three numbers on it. The Encryptors then come up with clues to the words corresponding to his three-digit code and read them out. Each team tries to guess the other's code from the clues alone, then that team guesses knowing their words as well. If you guess the other team's code you get an Interception token; if you fail to guess your own code you get a Miscommunication token. If your team makes two Interceptions you win, if you make two Miscommunications you lose. Simple game, but interesting - you can't make your clues too obvious or the other team will easily be able to guess your codes, but if you make the clues too obscure you run the risk of losing.

Associate
Played Dead of Winter The Long Night. Didn't play with bandits or raxxon as it was our first game.
Took a while to figure out how to play it. I thought i knew most of it and it would be simple. but was a couple of things i was unsure of and had to look it up.

Started nice and tame, we thought we would easily beat the scenario (the recomended short one for the first game) But things took a nasty turn for the worst when one player when traveling back to the colony picked up a bite. As no one wanted to lose a survivor we all rolled the exposure die. One by one we all fell. Killing everyone in the colony. Leaving moral left at 1. One player losing all of his survivors and having to lose all their items, really didnt help. From then it was only a matter of time. 1 more survivor picking up another bite on the way to the colony sealed our fate.

We really enjoyed playing this. Looking forward to playing it with raxxon and bandits to make it more interesting.

Also played Firefly Adventures Brigands and Browncoats. A nice miniatures game. Had a brilliant way of tracking how time was spent. With sometimes players takeing 2 turns in a row. Having the box form part of the game was a great idea, which we liked. However we found you pretty much had to stand all the game to be able to see things.

Needs more missions (only comes with 4) and varriety to keep you playing though. as after 2 games in the legacy format we had enough items to help us win easily.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also played Firefly Adventures Brigands and Browncoats. A nice miniatures game. Had a brilliant way of tracking how time was spent. With sometimes players takeing 2 turns in a row. Having the box form part of the game was a great idea, which we liked. However we found you pretty much had to stand all the game to be able to see things.

Needs more missions (only comes with 4) and varriety to keep you playing though. as after 2 games in the legacy format we had enough items to help us win easily.

Played this the other night too but only 1 mission.
Nice layout and good use of the box but the rules are poorly written. Will give it another chance soon when we have more time.

Played Firefly the board game too, it's gets a regular airing and the variation in set up and story keep it fresh.

Soldato
Got Praetor to the table last night with three. I won, which was half expected as I was the only one who had played before, but it was by a ridiculous margin. I had over 400 points, second place on a bit over 300 and third on around 250. Next time the other players know not to let me build unfettered (I actually ran out of markers) and that the Age I Labour Camp is really powerful.

After that we fitted in a City of Kings scenario while waiting for the other table to finish - I don't know why they keep playing Champions of Midgard with four extra turns - and wrapped up the evening with another round of Decrypto.

Associate
Played this the other night too but only 1 mission.
Nice layout and good use of the box but the rules are poorly written. Will give it another chance soon when we have more time.

Played Firefly the board game too, it's gets a regular airing and the variation in set up and story keep it fresh.

Didn't have a read of the rules, as the person who brought it explained it to us. Although there was one rule which when you are taking turns, if you are on top on the marker you get to go first. that made no sense to us.

I would rather play the firefly board game for the same reasons. Seems like there is more to do in it as well, but the rest of the gaming group would rather play this one at the moment.

Soldato
Got a kids card game called Cat Chaos when the kids saw it in Waterstones and decided they wanted it. It was really easy to pick up (6 year old tool one game, 3 year old kept pace with a bit of promoting not to reveal her cards every two minutes :p) and prvolided a good couple of hours amusement.

Can imagine it will be a regular for now on our family game night with the kids enjoying it so much.

Soldato
Wednesday report: a few people away for Expo this weekend, so only five of us playing. We played The Networks and 21 Mutinies, both of which have hit the table numerous times before but not with all the people at the table. They both went down well.

Associate
played Game of Thrones board game with 4 other people - one of the best risk'esque games ive ever played. most fun :) with lots of twists and turns - moral of the story? its never over till its over :p

Associate
Out of interest, how long did it take you? Was it your first time playing?

4 hours and a bit.

was my second time. awesome awesome game :D

the amount of underhanded dealings, dodgy looks, the occasional wink when someone was about to make their move - was so funny.

House Lannister was controlling most provinces for the entire game - looked like he was about to win - but in the final 3 turns everyone turned on him. went from owning pretty much the entire island back to Casterly Rock and its immediate nearby provinces.

had to say I had a cheeky wide grin when the dust settled and emerged as victor :p

Soldato
Yeah, it is a great game, that can swing back and forth quite easily. Sounds like you're a bit quicker than us... We've played 3 times now, I think the last one was just under 5 hours for the 6 of us.

Took us 4 hours and 15 minutes and I actually had a headache by the end! Good fun though.

Okay, similar to you in fact.

Soldato
Played some more Cat Chaos with the kids at the weekend, whilst not a board game also played a tiny little DnD scenario with my kids (4 & 6) they really enjoyed it. It inspired me to look around and find an RPG a little more age suitable with easier rules and I've found something called Hero Kids which, on reading through the handbook sounds great so I've picked up that up for 5 dollars and will run that with them on our mini games night on Friday evening. Rather looking forward to it as it's really well prepped with loads of pre mades adventures, grid maps, hero and monster cards so should be nice.

Soldato
We've played a lot of Camel Up with friends recently, always fun, people seem to enjoy the challenging of predicting the unpredictable.

Also played Cottage Garden with the wife yesterday afternoon. It's a very pretty game, not too aggressively competitive which suits it. We liked it.

Soldato
I have no experience of Exploding Kittens, what's so bad about it?

It's almost purely random. You have a hand of cards. Each turn you play cards then draw a card. If you draw an exploding kitten, you lose unless you can play a defuse card. Some cards stop you drawing cards. Last person not to lose wins.

You should see the logic of why this is a bad game already, but in case you don't: if you lose by drawing the wrong card, then you should try to draw as few cards as possible. But the only way to do that is to play as many skip cards as possible. So, whoever draws the most skip cards will almost inevitably win.

Commissario
I played two (I think) 40k games over the weekend.

The first was a "refresher" with 24PS for 4 people, IIRC my list was 2x Bloodletters, Juggernauts, and the herald on juggernaught (I didn't list it down as we made them out of our 80PS lists on the fly), which was fun.

Then there was the big game (basically apocalypse), two teams of three forces, each with 80PS per force.

That was fun, but very long, about 12+ hours of play in part because of getting drunk in the evening, and distractions the next day, but very very fun.
Mortarian is pretty good, pox walkers and plague marines are very resiliant with the right secondaries, sisters are annoying, and Grey Knights take a lot of time in the Psychic phase.

One part of the scenery seemed to be cursed, as first off a Knight got killed on it and blew up (damaging various units), then Morty got killed and blew up, then a grey knight unit got killed and opted to blow up, that caused a Blight Hauler to blow up which combined with previous damage and the knights damage caused the GK's Land Raider to explode.
Fortunately for me my Soul Grinder shrugged off most of the possible damage, and my Lord of Skulls was about 3 inches too far away to be affected.

Back
Top Bottom