Fragrances in hold luggage

Soldato
Cargo temperatures vary in our fleet. The Boeing 767 maintains its baggage hold above 7˚C, but the bulk area (where animals are carried) can be heated above 18˚C. “Controlled temperature cargo bins are also available when temperature-sensitive goods are being shipped.”

I am wrong I admit but it could be down to temperature as opposed to pressure.

Stick it in your pocket is all I can advise. ;)

The boiling point of alcohol depends on which type of alcohol you're using, as well as the atmospheric pressure. The boiling point decreases as atmospheric pressure decreases, so it will be slightly lower unless you are at sea level. Here is a look at the boiling point of different types of alcohol.

The boiling point of ethanol or grain alcohol (C2H5OH) at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psia, 1 bar absolute) is 173.1 F (78.37 C).

Methanol (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol): 66°C or 151°F

Isopropyl Alcohol (isopropanol): 80.3°C or 177°F

I know am not crazy. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cargo temperatures vary in our fleet. The Boeing 767 maintains its baggage hold above 7˚C, but the bulk area (where animals are carried) can be heated above 18˚C. “Controlled temperature cargo bins are also available when temperature-sensitive goods are being shipped.”

I am wrong I admit but it could be down to temperature as opposed to pressure.

Stick it in your pocket is all I can advise. ;)

The boiling point of alcohol depends on which type of alcohol you're using, as well as the atmospheric pressure. The boiling point decreases as atmospheric pressure decreases, so it will be slightly lower unless you are at sea level. Here is a look at the boiling point of different types of alcohol.

The boiling point of ethanol or grain alcohol (C2H5OH) at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psia, 1 bar absolute) is 173.1 F (78.37 C).

Methanol (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol): 66°C or 151°F

Isopropyl Alcohol (isopropanol): 80.3°C or 177°F

I know am not crazy. :p

Are you confused "pressure" with "temperature" ?

Oooooh 7c, I best watch out carrying my shopping between the supermarket to the car park between November to April, it might explode.

Caporegime
Hold and cabin are at the same pressure.

The whole plane is lower pressure than sea level though

Shirley having an aircraft at two different pressures just creates unnecessary drag? I would've thought that one which leads tube, all at the same pressure would be the most efficient way of flying. Just a guess though.

Commissario
Shirley having an aircraft at two different pressures just creates unnecessary drag? I would've thought that one which leads tube, all at the same pressure would be the most efficient way of flying. Just a guess though.
Don't call him Shirley.

Caporegime

Huh? The aircraft isnt at 2 differnt pressures its all one pressure (in the pressurised bits) but its not the same pressure as sea level as its cheaper and easier to pressurise it to 7-10 thousand feet equivalent.

Making a passenger jet with unpressurised hold would be a massive head ache for designers as the longitudinal floor woupd become one massive flat pressure bulkhead and need heavy reinforcement

Man of Honour
Reading posts 19 and 20, it would seem to my uneducated in the vagaries of pressurisation mind, that there may be a difference in the reaction of a brand new, still with the manufacturer’s seal in place, bottle of aftershave, and a container that has been opened, then had the cap replaced after use.
I’m not an avid user of aftershave, I shower twice per day, shave as often as I can, and brush my teeth regularly, I’ve never noticed anyone wrinkle their nose when I join their company.
If you buy a 100 ml bottle of e.g. Sauvage aftershave, break the seal when you arrive in say, Tampa FL from London, it should be fine and dandy, but if you only use a minimal amount in a couple of weeks, and the doomsday guys are right, then it will weaken on the return trip.
As someone said earlier, decant some into a 10ml, or 20 ml container, and use that when you’re away, leaving your 100 ml bottle safely back on the nightstand, staying potentially aromatic for ages, one hopes.

Back
Top Bottom