TMA: c-class, 4 series

Soldato
I paid just over 19k for a 335i msport. 14plate with ~35k miles. I think this was a good price for a used approved 335i,with the spec and mileage. You could certainly get a non used approved for a bit less though.
It is an amazing car, and I have been loving it! I think I would have been satisfied with a 328i, but this one had the nicest spec (msport plus, HK speakers, sunroof, tinted windows, parking camera) of the cars available with my requirements (petrol +manual).
I think the 4 series look a bit nicer, but wouldn't have been very practical for me (2kids). I actually drove LiE's car at the dealership, and it is a lovely car! The cream leather is the nicest interior imo (mine is black).
I drove several 3 and 4 series autos when I was out looking. The auto's are excellent, but obviously slightly less involving. I would have been very happy with an auto, however a manual was one of my wife's only requests. Something I wasn't going to bother arguing about, seeing as she agreed to everything else!

Edit: should add, obviously a 35 or 40 sounds nicer than a 28i.

4gc would’ve been more practical :D

Sounds spot on though :)

Soldato
OP
Some good info, thanks.

Is there much difference between merc/bmw warranty cost, services etc?

LiE, I do like the look of the 4 series 2dr, but think I'd have to go for the 4.

Anyone going to chime in for mercs? :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'd agree for someone doing 20k a year and looking to swap from a 2l diesel, but 8k and coming from an inefficient but quite smooth duratec V6 the downside of the x35i vs x28i is still going to be an upgrade, and the 4 potness will still be a downgrade from the V6 in terms of smoothness.

+1, this.
The x28i engine ticks all the correct boxes for performance and economy. What it will never do as well is "waft", and that's also got nothing to do with outright grunt.
Don't buy the x35i because you want to go faster. Given the current road state of roadworks, gatsos and traffic jams, frankly a 1ltr turbo is probably "enough" for 95% of normal usage Buy the inline six because it's creamy, smooth and just feels good when you use it.
Unfortunately, it's just not that straightforward to put a metrix to the "waft" capability.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Some good info, thanks.

Is there much difference between merc/bmw warranty cost, services etc?

LiE, I do like the look of the 4 series 2dr, but think I'd have to go for the 4.

No idea on the Merc.

The 4 series Gran Coupe would be where I would look if you need the extra doors. 428i is still the sweet spot in my opinion. When I go max power in the 428i, I don't think to myself I need more power, and the engine/exhaust/fake noise is pretty good that I don't wish I had the extra 2 cylinders. If you're into bragging rights and drag racing/traffic light GP, then maybe the 435i would make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. The reality is, as Sukebe eluded to above, the extra power is wasted on the road. The 428i gets up to naughty speeds very quickly already.

Soldato
Looking at f32/4series, description, the 28 has the earlier n20 engine versus either the 420/430 using the newer b48, although it appears controversial which sounds better.
Do the newer engines nonetheless have a disproportionately better fuel economy/drivability ?, as well as reliability (electric water pump apparently) ...

430 averages 25mpg vs 26 for 428 .. not a lot in it. (29 for 420)

Man of Honour
Looking at f32/4series, description, the 28 has the earlier n20 engine versus either the 420/430 using the newer b48, although it appears controversial which sounds better.
Do the newer engines nonetheless have a disproportionately better fuel economy/drivability ?, as well as reliability (electric water pump apparently) ...

430 averages 25mpg vs 26 for 428 .. not a lot in it. (29 for 420)
Not quite. The first 420i has N20 engines as well. Was only in 2016 when the f32s switched over to the b48 engines. So depends on which model year 420i you're looking at.
420i kept the same model name whether it was N20 or b48.
428i got the 'upgrade' to 430i when it switched from N20 to b48

Soldato

The equivalent C Class, the W205 available in both saloon and coupe (but not 4 door), hasn't been available as long as the 3/4 series so it's out of your budget really. The closest equivalent to the 335i for example is the C43 which has only been on sale for 2 years and starts at £33k. The next petrol down is the C200 (ignoring the C350e plugin hybrid) which isn't really comparable at all to the BMW x28i. Thankfully they have just introduced a C300 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo with the 2018 refresh which puts out 240~hp but obviously that doesn't help you.

I wouldn't spend £15k on a W204 now. The W205 is a much nicer place to be.

Back
Top Bottom