Home letters/document organisation

Soldato
Bit of a random one and probably quite obvious but what are you using to keep yourself organised when it comes to letters/bills/documents etc

I am SO unorganised, post and bills could be in any number of random places around my house and I need to sort it out. Right now for example, I can't put my hand on my Council tax statement...

Yes I could go and just buy a small filing cabinet but wondered what you find best for this or whether you find it easier to have smaller boxes then get moved up to the loft after x years etc.

Associate
We have a small filing cabinet that we use. Then every year we clear out any random stuff that doesn't need to be kept and any important documents are scanned onto the computer and hard copies put away in boxes and box is dated. (IE tax stuff)

Then eventually it all gets shredded and burned when we don't need to keep it anymore. Passports and Birth certificates stay in the safe.

Associate
In the short term, it goes into two piles. Actionable stuff and stuff for filling. Actionable stuff gets tackled with as needed then shredded or put into the filling pile.

Filing pile gets sorted when sufficiently big, so I don't have to get the box out as often. :p

Back
Top Bottom