What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Do most of you who buy watches in the UK buy them on 0% finance? Really annoying that I don't have this option where I am, would make watch collecting a hell of a lot easier!

Just buy cash?? I don't understand this mentality, just save what ever amount a month you were comfortable with finance repayments and buy it when you have the money. It will take the same amount of time to own the watch anyway ;) you'll also have a meagre benefit of earning some interest on the savings.

Man of Honour
Guys - you cannot pretend you don't understand the broader concept and attraction of 0% finance to purchase an expensive item, you're just being deliberately obtuse surely?

FWIW, I'm not buying an expensive watch. But the concept of 0% finance and buy now pay later is not exactly an alien scheme to you, right?

Soldato
Yes, but it won't take the same amount of time to possess it. You can't understand that?

As previously mentioned what's the rush? Price increases using Rolex as an example, are usually in the low hundreds per year, one or two loan payments maybe. The waiting list on some sports watches are rather long indeed also.

As for having your money work for you, what sort of deposit would you guys be comfortable with for say a 5k watch with monthly repayments?

Each to their own but unless we are talking Patek money then I can't see the money going that far.

Edit: No, buy now pay later schemes are not alien to me, obviously there is an appeal for instant gratification. However I'd love to see what the percentage of people not making the cut off period for 0% are, as lending money interest free is not the wisest of choices for a financial institution. I'm sure all of us here are very disciplined with out money though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just buy cash?? I don't understand this mentality, just save what ever amount a month you were comfortable with finance repayments and buy it when you have the money. It will take the same amount of time to own the watch anyway ;) you'll also have a meagre benefit of earning some interest on the savings.
Just buy in cash, its not worth getting into debt over a watch.

Guys sorry but you clearly have a lack of understanding of basic economics. With 0% finance expensive items are MUCH more affordable and the money can be better used elsewhere in the meantime (like investments etc) instead of being paid out in one lump sum. It is not rocket science.

This is stupid, why would you not use 0% even if you had the cash? You can pay it as you like over X period and have your money doing other things for you?
Precisely this. You should (imo) never buy anything that you truly cannot afford payments on, and even if you have the money anyway then 0% finance simply means better flexibility with and control of your outgoings with zero penalty in terms of interest.

It's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys sorry but you clearly have a lack of understanding of basic economics. With 0% finance expensive items are MUCH more affordable and the money can be better used elsewhere in the meantime (like investments etc) instead of being paid out in one lump sum. It is not rocket science.

Precisely this. YOU should never buy anything that you truly cannot afford, and even if you have the money anyway then 0% finance simply means better flexibility with of your monthly outgoings with zero penalty in terms of interest.

It's a no-brainer.

He doesn't have 0% available to him.

Soldato
I still haven't forgiven Omega for discontinuing the wave dial Seamasters in favour of the Submariner style gloss dial. I can forgive them changing the font on the bezel, but not the dial. The black wave dial Seamaster is my all time favourite Omega watch. I keep saying I'll buy a used one, but the price keeps on going up and stopping me.

The ceramic dial is so so so much nicer than the wave it's very logical that they did it. Maybe introduce some kind of ceramic wave ? :D

Associate
I purchased my Oris Aquis Staghorn on 0% finance, put down a decent deposit and currently a year into paying £35 a month for 4 years. I fell for the whole limited edition 1 of 2000 in the world spiel and I knew I didnt want to miss out on it (even though I have seen an abundance on eBay), I could have saved the money in 3 months but wanted it there and then. Also each purchase goes towards restoring Coral Reefs or something like that and I like the sea, so everytime I see that £35 taken out out my account each month I know I got a watch I love and am doing my bit for the worlds oceans! :D

Soldato
So my C. Ward LE watch has broken now for the third time in under four years! Currently arguing with them to fix it for free (which they should under their 60/60 scheme), Flipping annoying as I paid a lot for it and its been nothing but problems.

The first time the crown broke (wont wind) was literally several weeks after purchase.
Does anyone know if there has been any cases with manufactures/faulty watches and getting a replacement/refund after such a length of time? Id expect not...

Thinking I might just go the smart watch route from now on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom