Massive data breach at Dixons Carphone (who own PC World)

Permabanned
Yet another huge data loss, near 6 million card details compromised! What the hell is wrong with these systems?

Dixons Carphone calls in police as customer card details are targeted but the firm says there is no evidence of fraudulent use.

08:29, UK, Wednesday 13 June 2018

Dixons Carphone operates Currys PC World and Dixons Travel stores
By James Sillars, business reporter

Dixons Carphone says it has been the victim of an "unauthorised data access" in which millions of customer bank card details were targeted.

The company said there was there was an attempt to compromise 5.9 million cards in one of its processing systems for Currys PC World and Dixons Travel stores.

It said there was currently no evidence of any fraudulent use of the information - with the vast majority of the cards having chip and pin protection.

However, it added that the company said it had notified card providers to 105,000 non-EU issued cards which did not have chip and pin technology so those customers could be immediately protected.

In addition, Dixons Carphone said 1.2 million personal data records were hacked.

It admitted non-financial personal data, such as name, address or email address, was accessed but it again insisted that it had seen no evidence of any fraud at this stage.

The breach was currently being investigated by police, it said, while regulators had also been informed.

The company's shares lost 5% of their value when trading began on Wednesday morning shortly after the disclosure.

Chief executive Alex Baldock said: "We are extremely disappointed and sorry for any upset this may cause.

"The protection of our data has to be at the heart of our business, and we've fallen short here.

"We've taken action to close off this unauthorised access and though we have currently no evidence of fraud as a result of these incidents, we are taking this extremely seriously.

"We are determined to put this right and are taking steps to do so; we promptly launched an investigation, engaged leading cyber security experts, added extra security measures to our systems and will be communicating directly
with those affected."

The hacking represents a baptism of fire for Mr Baldock, who took over after Seb James quit as chief executive in January to take the helm at Boots.

Dixons Carphone has issued a series of profit warnings since last summer amid tough trading for its mobile phone arm.

It has part-blamed a slowdown in upgrades to new handsets for financial woes which have forced the company to slim down its Carphone Warehouse operation.

The data breach could potentially leave the company open to a large fine.

Source: https://news.sky.com/story/hacking-targets-customers-of-currys-pc-world-11403182

Associate
A lot of these companies have masses of interconnected systems sharing data, and exchanging it in various ways - messaging, flat file interfaces, sql updates etc. Protecting every single one of these is time-consuming, resource intensive and can make support more difficult. And rarely stop people with the right level of access from abusing it.

Which is why some of them fall thru the cracks. Companies wanting to avoid data loss have to be lucky every time. Hackers (or data thieves) only have to be lucky one time.

Security has nearly always been a "Oh, IT will sort that, lets go do something that makes some money" for businesses.
GDPR has actually done some good in making the rest of the organisation as culpable as IT for data loss.

Man of Honour
This is why I rarely save my card details 'for faster payment next time'. The inconvenience of typing it in si small compared to my card details being leaked.

However if Amazon are hacked then I'm truly screwed :D

Associate
For eons security has been a very "meh" subject in most companies and organisations and it doesnt help with cash strapped IT departments seen as a cost center that has to be cut cut cut.
Pathetic management, fund and staff IT and technology properly and you will have less trouble with fines handed out when that technology comes and bites you on the ass.

Soldato
Did anyone else receive an email about this today? About five minutes before I read about it on the news, I received an email, telling me not to worry about my details being stolen.

Be afraid be very afraid :p

Last time I used CPW was 3 years ago for a contract used debit card as proof . Hope they deleted it

Soldato
What's wrong with systems.... Nothing, there is always going to be someone smart enough to find a way in

Wrong, the CEO isn't investing nearly enough on IT. The systems are old, out dated, supported by not enough people (nevermind, enough well trained people). Agree that no system is fully 100% secure, but when you know your systems are crap but do nothing about it, the buck stops with sand head.

I know someone who works in their IT department. He told me they do not invest in IT, the servers are old, the software is old, they are short staffed, and what staff they do have aren't supported very well. Very cheeky of the CEO to says his disappointed, when it's him who is not investing in his IT staff and systems. Yep, they need heavy fines as this is the ONLY language they understand. Not just this company though, my own is the same and the two I previously worked for. IT is seen as a cost, not a business enabler.

Business leaders need to be more proactive rather than reactive. The things I've heard over the years

"we don't need to upgrade our firewalls as we've never been hacked yet"

"do we need that many people on the server team, the servers never seem to go wrong these days"

"why have a second data center for DR, we've never had a fire"

Perhaps I should cancel my car insurance.....I've never had a crash

:edit: actually I know two people who work for them. The second is a home worker on their support desk. He is always saying their remote servers are offline....and when they are online its painfully slow.

Associate
Standard practise now for these companies to say there IT is great even when hacked, especially when in reality it is pathetic.
Bean counters will never understand IT and the costs needed to keep it right.

Back
Top Bottom