• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8086k or 8700k or 2700k or wait?

Associate
hi guys currently rocking a i7 4770k been feeling the need to upgrade, I normally upgrade every 3 to 4 years, well I'm in year 5 now of my PC. she been holding strong and because of the lack of really big leap in performance I been happy with my computer, so I just asking you guys what you think I should do?

1. Hod on
this is always an option in the computer world there always something else just 6 months down the road, however what I feel now is the performance bump maybe only be 5 to 10% better, when it use to 15 to 20% better, so is it worth waiting for 9700K or what ever it will be called?

2. 8086k or 8700k
I like the idea of getting the limited edition cpu that ref the original, the again I know there just binned chips and I have seen 8700K sub £300 and its unlikely I will see 8086k drop from £379, so anyone think its worth £80 difference (now I just typed that I dont think it is?)

3. 2700K
Make the move to AMD? all though I know its 8 cores I think what I use my computer more for single core performance is more important and intel always seem to win that battle.

I mainly use my computer for web development, photoshop, little bit of video editing, and gaming, specially for VR - Oculus - God its good! ( i know gpu more important there, with Im holding out for Navi or volt when ever there due as my Rx 480 does a pretty good job for now. so what do you guys think any advise would be helpful thanks. PS: are gigabyte motherboard no good any more? its just I always got there boards but never see people recommend them any more? thanks

Associate
Since you are happy with your PC I say that's a strong indication that it's not time for you to upgrade yet. I still see plenty of Sandy/Ivy Bridge users waiting for the next gen so I say wait!
Early next year AMD will likely take the performance crown back with their 7nm CPU's and even give us a 12 core mainstream CPU.
We can also expect faster DDR4 ram compatibility with next gen motherboards and hopefully lower DDR4 ram prices.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Yup i'd wait for 7nm now, next year you'll have the choice of AMD's 7nm Zen2 with more than likely 12c/24t, or Intels 8c/16t Coffee Lake refresh. Hopefully DDR4 pricing will have settled a bit by then as well.

Soldato
8086 is just a binned 8700 chip. Im looking at the ryzen as well but it's hard to justify the outlay as my 3930k is still going great guns. I'd wait until you're finding your pc is struggling. Put a bit extra cash away each month and see what the next 6 months brings.

Soldato
Im holding out for Navi or volt when ever there due as my Rx 480 does a pretty good job for now.

If you are happy to hold on for the GPU side of things, then I see little point in shifting away from the 4770K anytime soon, especially it it is overclocked. Unless your work flow is heavily skewed in favour of more cores, and you do more productivity application work than gaming, then the shift to a higher core count is going to provide single figure gains in most cases.

Once you've got your shiny new GPU, lets say by the end of autumn, then look to see what the market is like, and if your using your system in the same way. I know that from an advancement standpoint, 2017-2018 was a great year, and 2019 will get even better, if you can wait until April-May time, since you'll have Zen 2, and well probably nothing new from Intel since they can seem to get 10nm working properly for their CPU's :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys, one of the other reason I'm feeling the need to upgrade is my 240gb ssd for windows and main apps is nearly full (even after some cleaning out of old files) and so is my main 2tb hd, with 60gb left. time to uninstall old games I guess.
Plus the fact is I do slowly save up for a new computer after i purcahse one, and like I said I normally have the founds to buy a new computer 3 year later, this time took a bit longer as I treated myself to VR, but again got saved about just over £1,200 but will hold on for i7 9700k.

Associate
As most are saying, hold on, nothing wrong with that chip, it will still pair up with whatever GPU you can throw at it. Save more, new GPU's around the corner, that's where my money would be going.

Associate
Thanks for the feedback guys, one of the other reason I'm feeling the need to upgrade is my 240gb ssd for windows and main apps is nearly full (even after some cleaning out of old files) and so is my main 2tb hd, with 60gb left. time to uninstall old games I guess.
Plus the fact is I do slowly save up for a new computer after i purcahse one, and like I said I normally have the founds to buy a new computer 3 year later, this time took a bit longer as I treated myself to VR, but again got saved about just over £1,200 but will hold on for i7 9700k.

im the same i have money saved for a new upgrade but im going to wait my ivy [email protected] is fine with the games i play and if it struggles i will just overclock it more, at times its tempting to upgrade but i think it will be worth the wait.

Soldato
Agreed, awesome case. Still have mine, the only 'bad' thing is that it's so super heavy... 1 LAN party, 2 weeks of back ache :p

I have manage to find a full atx case but its no larger then a matx case. We should be getting smaller and minimalistic in the pc world by now:D I have the silver version.

ctc-jb-w2-black-window.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

If I were you I would wait and see how 7NM Ryzen performs - AMD is keeping to yearly releases so it should hopefully be out in Q2 2019. The Core i7 9700K released this year is still going to be a 14NM CPU since Intel 10NM has issues. Plus for many games an RX480 is probably the bigger limiting factor.

If your SSD is filling up,perhaps buy yourself a larger one for now??

Back
Top Bottom