LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
This is so disappointing.
Looks like the Freesync model, with the newer UW5 panel, might be available before the G-Sync model...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/8n896g/lg_34gk950f_listed_in_norway/

If this means that the Gsync model is being updated to the 144hz, I'm all for it.

@Daniel - LG, can you please provide an update. Even if you don't have an update, a response of acknowledgement is enough. A lot of us are just waiting here in Limbo trying to figure out what our next monitor and gpu will be.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I haven't seen any reports to indicate that the GSync model will get the UW5 panel, and Daniel has been noticeably absent from the conversation lately.

Many people point to the fact that the GSync module can only use DP1.2 (ignoring the new module in the 4k HDR models) and therefore can't support 1440p at 144Hz, but I'd rather have a 144Hz native panel running at 120Hz than a 100Hz native panel overclocked to 120Hz, which is what we have with the UW4 panel.

This is certainly muddying that waters... get the G-Sync monitor that is overclocked to 120Hz, or get the cheaper FreeSync model that is native 144Hz plus HDR400. (I'm assuming the FS model will be cheaper, as they typically are.)

Associate
I haven't seen any reports to indicate that the GSync model will get the UW5 panel

Yes you have. UW5 with G-SYNC is what TFTCentral reports via their panel database. Either TFTCentral is mistaken, or we will eventually get a UW5 + G-SYNC monitor.

Apparently, for whatever reason, UW5 + G-SYNC just doesn't describe the 34GK950G.

If this means that the Gsync model is being updated to the 144hz, I'm all for it.

That depends entirely on what you mean with "the G-SYNC model". The upcoming 34GK950G, which this what thread is about, apparently will not.

We essentially have three monitors:

34GK950G = UW4 (allegedly) + G-SYNC, 100/120 Hz, DisplayPort 1.2
34GK950F = UW5 + FreeSync, 144 Hz, DisplayPort 1.4
Unnamed = UW5 + G-SYNC, 144 Hz, DisplayPort 1.4

The unnamed monitor is suspected to be a thing for two reasons:

• TFTCentral's mention of it in their panel database
  • Daniel - LG mentioning the new UW5 panel will first be used for a FreeSync monitor, implying it will be used for something else second.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Yes you have. UW5 with G-SYNC is what TFTCentral reports via their panel database. Either TFTCentral is mistaken, or we will eventually get a UW5 + G-SYNC monitor.

Apparently, for whatever reason, UW5 + G-SYNC just doesn't describe the 34GK950G.

That depends entirely on what you mean with "the G-SYNC model". The upcoming 34GK950G, which this what thread is about, apparently will not.

We essentially have three monitors:

34GK950G = UW4 (allegedly) + G-SYNC, 100/120 Hz, DisplayPort 1.2
34GK950F = UW5 + FreeSync, 144 Hz, DisplayPort 1.4
Unnamed = UW5 + G-SYNC, 144 Hz, DisplayPort 1.4

The unnamed monitor is suspected to be a thing for two reasons:

• TFTCentral's mention of it in their panel database
  • Daniel - LG mentioning the new UW5 panel will first be used for a FreeSync monitor, implying it will be used for something else second.

ChrisPyzut and I both mean the 34GK950G when we say "the Gsync model"... therefore my comments stands that I haven't seen any reports to indicate that the GSync model will get the UW5 panel.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Hi Everyone,

sorry I have been on annual leave - seems like I missed quite a lot!

would someone be able to summarise what I need to find out / report back on and I will see what I can do

thanks
dan

The big frustration is over the 34GK950G getting the UW4 panel, knowing that the UW5 panel is now in production and about to launch within the 34GK950F.

The big questions are (1) when is the 34GK950G currently expected to launch (and what price), and (2) when can expect to see the UW5 panel combined with GSync.

Reports of the the Acer and Dell models with the UW4 panel struggling to hold the 120Hz overclocked frequency, plus the prospect of the 34GK950G being superseded within 6-12 months by the introduction of the UW5 panel (by LG or another company), means that the 34GK950G is looking like a less attractive option every week. The Acer x34P being on sale for £600 this week also adds pressure!

Associate
Hey @Daniel - LG

Thanks for dropping back in! I think the main questions are these:

34GK950G (G-SYNC, 100/120 Hz)
  • Can you re-confirm that this monitor will in fact be limited to 100 Hz (120 Hz overclocked) refresh rate?
  • Can you comment on why the 34GK950G isn't using the more modern 144 Hz LM340UW5 panel as LG is using for the 34GK950F?
  • Launch date still early July?
  • Price?
Monitor with LM340UW5 panel, G-SYNC, 144 Hz
  • TFTCentral mentions LM340UW5 + G-SYNC. Any word on when we can expect this?
  • Anything else you could potentially share on this?
Monitor using LM375QW2 panel, G-SYNC, 144 Hz
  • Any word on whether this pairing (LM375QW2 + G-SYNC) is something LG is working on?

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Acer x34P being on sale for £600 this week also adds pressure!

Tbf that seems like a one-off clearance price by the etailer and not a permanent offer.

edit - They may even be clearing the way for a LM340UW5 based Gsync replacement for all we know ;)

Last edited:
Associate
ChrisPyzut and I both mean the 34GK950G when we say "the Gsync model"... therefore my comments stands that I haven't seen any reports to indicate that the GSync model will get the UW5 panel.

If that's what you meant, then yes, your comment stands... if ChrisPyzut's meant the same thing, then his comment doesn't. It's hard to correctly divine what is meant, as this thread mentions multiple G-SYNC capable monitors.

I don't mean to be an a&&. It would just be easier for everyone reading along if we could stick to the model names (or panel name + features if a name isn't yet known) and introduce less ambivalence.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
If that's what you meant, then yes, your comment stands... if ChrisPyzut's meant the same thing, then his comment doesn't. It's hard to correctly divine what is meant, as this thread mentions multiple G-SYNC capable monitors.

I don't mean to be an a&&. It would just be easier for everyone reading along if we could stick to the model names (or panel name + features if a name isn't yet known) and introduce less ambivalence.

I made a statement, Chris made a remark (or essentially asked a question, the answer to which appears to be "no, it doesn't"). I don't think it was confusing :)

Associate
I don't think it was confusing
Well, it was for me. Maybe I just suck at dealing with imprecise wording, but if that is so, I can still hope others might want to help me out with that linguistic struggle ;) Let's get back to the topic, or hope Daniel does! ;)

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Tbf that seems like a one-off clearance price by the etailer and not a permanent offer.

edit - They may even be clearing the way for a LM340UW5 based Gsync replacement for all we know ;)

£600 for the X34P may be a clearance price at the present time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar price around Black Friday time... the X34P will be around 1 year old by November, so I am expecting some good discounts; whereas the 34GK950G will only be a couple of months old, so I'll be surprised to see such big discounts... I would love to be wrong though!

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Right, email fired to the bods in HQ - i'll be back with an answer soon I hope!

Good man! Please make it clear that the rabble on the OcUK forum are getting impatient and lairy, and will only be satiated by a 34GK950G with a UW5 panel delivered next week for under £600 :p

Associate
Right

I apologise if I miss the answers to any questions, but here goes;

34GK950G and 34GK950F will use the same panel (LM340UW5) - 950G is limited to 120Hz due to SOC module operating on DP1.2, 950F will use SOC on DP1.4

LM340UW5 + 144Hz G-sync - not yet, we are discussing with Nvidia as there are some issues that I cannot go into (hence 950G being launched at 120Hz)

Monitor using LM375QW2 panel, G-SYNC, 144 Hz - no information to give

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm very happy to hear that the 34GK950G will use the UW5 panel! Even paired with DP1.2, as I said before, I would rather have a 144 panel underclocked to 120 than a 100 panel overclocked to 120Hz.

I assume the GSync module will kill any hope of having HDR (even though HDR400 us not likely to be impressive)?

Thanks, Daniel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom