Dilemma, (KS7000 refund)

Soldato
So you know when you randomly come across something, but in many ways which that you never saw it in the first place after a while? I have one of those scenarios...

So it all started when I thought "BBC are doing 4K trials of the World Cup on iPlayer are they? Sweet!"

I then thought, hopefully its not one of those tests where its only in X postcode or on this exact model of two specific TVs you know? As these things often are...

After a bit of googling it seems that in fact, no, that is not the case.
TVs that support the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) form of HDR via iPlayer, will be able to support these streams of 4K HDR World Cup goodness.

There is a rather long list of TV's on BBC's site which they have published, but i'm afraid it's bad news for anyone who purchase a Premium 4K HDR TV made by Samsung in 2016-17.
Even those who got the range topping KS9000 TV! This is all because Samsung have not updated the software, and despite promising to do so a while back it seems like they have now started saying they never will.

In fact there will be no new updates of any kind for the KS7000/8000/9000

Anyway, it seems that a lot of people are a bit miffed off with this, I myself am quite disappointed, there are also several other features of the TV (which were mentioned on a lot of sites at the time it was sold) which are never coming either and as such its a fairly easy process to get a full refund as credit, some people are ever getting a bit more than that to the point where its a case of putting forward 200 quid or so for a 55 inch LG B7 OLED TV.

No obviously this is quite a turn around and it's very tempting, although there are things I don't like about the LG's or am worried about, they are:

• Footprint of the stand (takes up a lot of room where as I have the soundbar under my KS7000 at the moment)
  • Compatibility with my Samsung K650 Wireless soundbar/subwoofer in general is a concern for me
  • I love the tidyness and simplicity of the OneConnect box
  • Reports of burn in

This lead me down the path of exploring what options there were in the Samsung world (even though i'm a bit miffed, the newer TV's support HLG on iPlayer and see Soundbar and oneconnect points above)

Initial research seems to make me think the replacement for my TV was a Q7F.

Downsides I can see to that are:
  • The Q7F is apparently a bit of a backward step? infact lots of reviews seem to flat out say its worse than the model from the previous year?
  • Samsung seems to have pretty much dumped 49 inch in favour for 55 on this Medium-High range of TVs?
  • The stand for that TV also looks super annoying in terms of how much of my unit it will take up.

So I suppose, what i'm looking for is, Is any one in the same situation? what have you gone for? does anyone have experience of all the TV's above?

The legislation that allows a refund I believe means you can make these claims up to 6 years after sale, so maybe i should ride out the World Cup (boo) and then wait for new models later this year?

Soldato
Not much to say, get the LG OLED. I have an older model LG OLED and it has been amazing. Have it three years now and it still wows me with the picture quality. For reference my other TV is a Pioneer Kuro, the LX5090.

Here are my answers to your concerns.

Cant say anything about the stand, either it will it or it won't. The measurements are online surely it's a simple matter of getting out the tape measure and checking?
I have the Samsung K550 and it works flawlessly with my LG OLED TV. It worked better than the LG soundbar!!
Have never used the one connect box.
Haven't seen any burn in on my OLED TV yet, and I do a lot of gaming on it.

Hope this helps!!

Soldato
Anyway, it seems that a lot of people are a bit miffed off with this, I myself am quite disappointed, there are also several other features of the TV (which were mentioned on a lot of sites at the time it was sold) which are never coming either and as such its a fairly easy process to get a full refund as credit, some people are ever getting a bit more than that to the point where its a case of putting forward 200 quid or so for a 55 inch LG B7 OLED TV.

if it possible to get a refund and you wait, you'll get further reductions pro-rata for the use you have had of the tv .. so better sooner ?? and see if you can make it up to the price of an oled, or, if there are still any 2017 sony xe's - top of the lcd tree (pending reviews on panasonic fx750)

The hlg bbc broadcasts are a one-off too, they're not producing material(just pe2) that they might broadcast ... so can't see a pursuasive refund argument that tv is unable to receive mainstream broadcasts.

Soldato
Are you really bothered about HLG for iPlayer ? If you are happy with your TV apart from this why change Just for one thing. My LG B6 has no HDR with YouTube which my KS7000 did. Always going to be something missing or something better added. Adaptive V-Sync comes out next year too....

Caporegime
There's no way you will get a refund on a TV for a feature that wasn't even advertised with it to begin with.

Just have to suck it up.

Though just to rub it in, my 2016 LG B6 got the HLG HDR update :)

Soldato
OP
Are you really bothered about HLG for iPlayer ? If you are happy with your TV apart from this why change Just for one thing. My LG B6 has no HDR with YouTube which my KS7000 did. Always going to be something missing or something better added. Adaptive V-Sync comes out next year too....
More worried about support ending after a 18 months on a premium tv so Zero chance of adaptive vsync.
It doesnt support HLG over HDMI officially either

if it possible to get a refund and you wait, you'll get further reductions pro-rata for the use you have had of the tv .. so better sooner ?? and see if you can make it up to the price of an oled, or, if there are still any 2017 sony xe's - top of the lcd tree (pending reviews on panasonic fx750)

The hlg bbc broadcasts are a one-off too, they're not producing material(just pe2) that they might broadcast ... so can't see a pursuasive refund argument that tv is unable to receive mainstream broadcasts.

They arent a one off. All 4k content is coming in that way from BBC and they have confirmed it.

HLG has effectively won as a HDR format for broadcast

Also as above more telling is the lack of future support. Means no more youtube updates bug fixes etc

As far as the refund, the way you do it is on the mis selling side with regards to them selling it as a Smart things extender which Smasung have dropped (they broke it in an update) and arent fixing.
Every retailer advertised the feature at sale.

Theres a 360 page thread about it on Samsung Official forum and so far several have had a lot of sucess with Richer sounds via that route

Soldato
quick scan of the refund thread https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-ue-ks7000-7500-owners-thread.2030515/page-116 ??
first hit on google .. guys been banned from their site ... trying to get traction for his idea ?

Good luck claiming compensation for this !!!

And as I have already said they promised in 2016 the free smart connect dongle and HDR10+. That is classed under the consumer regs as advertising. They have not delivered so every KS owner is entitled to just ask if they were miss sold using this Which tool,
Don’t get stuck with something faulty
I seem to have rattle a few people here, and am not sure why (may be from Samsung). It is your right to be given fair and correct information about any product you buy. Some here have asked if I have given Samsung time, but their promise was in 2016, it now near the end of 2017! Some have asked if I have claimed, and yes it is in the process. I did buy a JS8000 and bought it asking if it was fully HDR, When Netflix started HDR broadcasts this TV could not do it, and I used that tool and got a full refund for miss selling from Curry's. So yes it does work and yes the regs are there to stop miss selling. Try it, it will not hurt, and if it say's you may have a claim then just follow it's advice. All I and I think everyone else want's is truthful advertising.

They arent a one off. All 4k content is coming in that way from BBC and they have confirmed it.
yes they''ll use hlg down the line ... but i don't see the 4k productions the bbc is commisioning or that they can justify putting license payers money into the internet distribution infrastructure .. too busy settling liables on the likes of cliff richard

Soldato
Most of the QLEDs trade brightness for black levels - the reviews for them often point this out. I wouldn't personally go for one, as brightness is irrelevant on an edge lit LCD, as it just makes the whole picture brighter - there's little to no accuracy with the brightness.

Soldato
More worried about support ending after a 18 months on a premium tv so Zero chance of adaptive vsync.

Also as above more telling is the lack of future support. Means no more youtube updates bug fixes etc

As far as the refund, the way you do it is on the mis selling side with regards to them selling it as a Smart things extender which Smasung have dropped (they broke it in an update) and arent fixing.

Theres a 360 page thread about it on Samsung Official forum and so far several have had a lot of sucess with Richer sounds via that route

Pretty sure the Roku box or whatever it’s called outputs HLG as HDR10.

If you can get a refund or credit then go for it I love my B6 I had My KS7000 refunded as the back fell off and went for the B6. Glad I did too as have had it 18 months or so and I’m still happy apart from the Youtube HDR issue.....

Good luck..

Soldato

I was the first one to do it with my KS9500. Then I posted a "How to" on the site and a nice guy started a thread :)
Glad my attorney earned his money :D

Soldato
so why do you really want to replace it ?
I can understand if the back is coming off, but the smartthing's iot hub, was a daft idea when they proposed it ,
you would have to turn your tv on , or have it on permanently, for your phone to connect to, to control your home lights, heating etc.

At CES 2016, Samsung will showcase the future of TV and demonstrate how Samsung’s Smart TVs are at the center of the expanding IoT ecosystem.
“The 2016 line-up of Smart TVs will offer consumers new possibilities and cement Samsung’s market leading position, as the first company to launch IoT ready TVs.” said Hyun Suk Kim, President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics.
“With Samsung Smart TVs working with the SmartThings technology, we have an opportunity to reach millions of households,” said Alex Hawkinson, CEO and Co-founder of SmartThings. “Applying this technology into current household devices is a major step forwards that will make it much easier for everyone to experience the benefits of a smart home.”
SmartThings allows consumers to access all of their smart devices directly from their smartphone and SUHD TV, rather than having to control individual devices with a multitude of separate apps. With the SmartThings application, people can easily connect and manage all of their smart home devices and services through a single, simple user interface.
With an outdoor camera connected to their Samsung Smart TV, customers can check when visitors arrive and choose to open their front door, directly from their sofa. Motion sensor alerts can also pop-up directly on the TV screen, if movement outside the home is picked up, providing more security and peace of mind, whether at home or away.
The SmartThings application’s Cinema Mood also makes it easier than ever to create the perfect home theater environment. It enables consumers to automatically adjust everything from ambient lighting to surround sound, so they can instantly provide the optimal movie viewing experience.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/31...failure-to-deliver-on-smartthings-tv-promises
if they did beta testing with customers and indeed found it was of little benefit, can't they legitimately retire it.

... I believe Mr Musk has promised that tesla's will be upgradeable to autonomous vehicles, will everyone get their money back if it doesn't pan out ?

Soldato
OP
Have you read the thread? The back isn't coming off ( that was someone else) and the Smartthings thing is essentially a legally legit way of getting it swapped on the basis that Samsung have also dumped a lot of other features and support for a 18 month old TV (which are harder to prove)
It doesn't work with HLG HDR which was promised in an update and is never coming now (confirmed by Samsung themselves).
Its effectively killed off the TV way earlier than it should have, bearing in mind this is a Migh-Mid range model that was originally 1.2k for a 50 inch screen.

Meanwhile, Poloroid TVs (like 500 quid ones) from 2016 have been updated for HLG.....
As have literally every other brand

Soldato
Not sure why its a suprise tbh samsung are noturious for dropping software support after 18months across tvs, mobiles, tablets everything with their poxy tied in infrustructure. Love samsung products but wont buy one again in the future for this reason alone

Associate
Not sure why its a suprise tbh samsung are noturious for dropping software support after 18months across tvs, mobiles, tablets everything with their poxy tied in infrustructure. Love samsung products but wont buy one again in the future for this reason alone
Not just Samsung but most of them do that. It's in their interest to make your hardware redundant as quickly as possible. :D

Soldato
so why do you really want to replace it ?
I can understand if the back is coming off, but the smartthing's iot hub, was a daft idea when they proposed it ,
you would have to turn your tv on , or have it on permanently, for your phone to connect to, to control your home lights, heating etc.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/31...failure-to-deliver-on-smartthings-tv-promises
if they did beta testing with customers and indeed found it was of little benefit, can't they legitimately retire it.

... I believe Mr Musk has promised that tesla's will be upgradeable to autonomous vehicles, will everyone get their money back if it doesn't pan out ?

It was a smartthings dongle and it worked very well. I had one sent to me and I plugged it in my KS9500 and everything worked.
The TV had to be in standby mode. And like everyone else I used Alexa to control things.

Then Samsung done a very dirty trick, they update certain TVs with a firmware that disabled the dongle.
And yes I and others had auto update off.

Haha nice one!

What TV you replace it with?

Contacted them now so i'll see where it goes

Sony Android 75 inch ZD9.

Back
Top Bottom