Silly question... how the heck do you manage vSphere 6.7 now?

Permabanned
Just grabbed the free version for an internal lab environment.

The host's web UI is just as basic as it ever was and completely useless.

The thick client no longer works an vCenter seems to be a paid-for product with no free variant.

Am I missing something? Seems the "free" version is useless now?

Caporegime
This is the direction VMware have been going in a while.

Few options for a lab - run the eval and just trash it and rebuild when the evaluation expires, join VMUG Advantage and get access to the software, or be a VMware partner and use NFR licensing.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Just grabbed the free version for an internal lab environment.

The host's web UI is just as basic as it ever was and completely useless.

The thick client no longer works an vCenter seems to be a paid-for product with no free variant.

Am I missing something? Seems the "free" version is useless now?
There's not a lot you can do with a stand-alone ESXi host, and everything you *can* do is in the HTML5 host client -- it's just a matter of getting used to it. What specifically are you trying to do?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It’s just getting used to it. It’s all there, just laid out very differently.

Associate
Seems to be an general industry move away from fat clients to WebGUI interfaces for a long while now. Cant say i'm overly put off by it.
Upgraded my 6.5u1 estate to 6.7 over the weekend and I'm happy overall (HTML5 > Flash).
Got to admit going back to some of the work estate still running 5.5 from 6.7 seems backwards now.

The full interface for vCenter Server looks much better, although I've yet to get hands-on with it.

If you get the chance definitely try to play around with it. It really comes into its own when you have more then one server to manage and want to migrate VMs or play around with distributed switches.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to be an general industry move away from fat clients to WebGUI interfaces for a long while now. Cant say i'm overly put off by it.
Upgraded my 6.5u1 estate to 6.7 over the weekend and I'm happy overall (HTML5 > Flash).

FAT CLIENT > html5 > Flash

We have 12 people managing the estate and no one uses the junk client unless they need a feature that's missing from the fat client... Its worse in every way and so slow it must be 4x slower than fat.. And I'm using it from a 128gb 12 core physical machine..

It's like 10 steps back from fat client..

Who ever designed it needs to have horrible things done to them..

And who ever signed off on the flash version should just be executed.. We need to know the names of all those involved (who were not executed) incase we accidently employ them..

Associate
I haven't tried 6.7, but you can attach workstation (not free) to manage earlier versions. It doesn't do everything but gives some functionality without using the web ui. The console view works better than the web ui as the keyboard is locked to it properly.

Associate
The new html interface is much quicker compared to the flash client and even better than the thick client. I've not used the c# client for a good year or so and can't say I miss it at all

The HTML5 is great but missing some features from the Flash version still I think?

Back
Top Bottom