Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
https://screenrant.com/john-boyega-star-wars-trolls-kelly-marie-tran-reaction/ - Actor tells fans "blame the decision makers, not us" for poor films.

Star Wars is becoming, or already has become, a very toxic franchise and I'm betting Disney never expected that when they bought it so I wonder how long they'll allow this state of affairs to exist between the fans and the those who make the films?
It has to feel bad for the cast to have that realisation that you are part of a trilogy that will likely be remembered as being worse than the prequels. Its no wonder why most of them are doing any old movie in between to gain some respect back.

But yes nothing to do with the cast really, its the writers and Rian for having their heads so far up their asses.
But Kathleen Kennedy is likely the biggest issue in the whole circle of ****

Caporegime
Another article linked from there

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-anti-disney-group-takes-credit-harassing-kelly-marie-tran/

Absolutely pathetic:

Anti-Disney-Facebook-Group-Post-Star-Wars.jpg

Soldato
The Facebook group that caused all the abuse must have some awful people in it.

It has less than 100 members IIRC and the other Twitter account with similar horrible views had 41 followers so they had absolutely zero influence on Social Media, considering their tiny number compared to the total number of SW fans. Well that was until the media decided to give their horrible views airtime/advertising and then claiming that these two tiny insignificant groups somehow represented "the fans who didn't like TLJ" which is disingenuous at best and a down right lie at worst.

Disgusting behavior, the actors dont deserve that kind of treatment no matter what your opinion of the film. I'll lay my blame squarely at Johnson and Kennedy's door but doesnt mean i'll go hounding them on social media, to be honest i dont have to with the performance of Solo at the box office, rumors suggest Kennedy is out the door.

Caporegime
Disgusting behavior, the actors dont deserve that kind of treatment no matter what your opinion of the film. I'll lay my blame squarely at Johnson and Kennedy's door but doesnt mean i'll go hounding them on social media, to be honest i dont have to with the performance of Solo at the box office, rumors suggest Kennedy is out the door.

She did as she was directed to do by the script and Director. None of this is her fault at all. Shameful.

Soldato
She did as she was directed to do by the script and Director. None of this is her fault at all. Shameful.

True, yet when an actor is cast as a character that is deemed as sexist, trans/homophobic, whitewashing, etc, then the actor is lambasted and many have publicly dropped out of projects after public criticism (often via social media).

It seems to me that a small minority that were mean to Kelly Tran are simply being used as a scapegoat to once again paint the wider fanbase who disagrees with the Johnson/Kennedy agenda as being misogynist, small minded, bigoted, etc when in reality, fans just didn't like their work on the Star Wars movies for the many reasons stated everywhere.

It seems convenient that this has happened just as Solo comes out and is doing poorly (for a Star Wars film), and once again points the finger at the fans and their complaints, rather than looking at what's gone wrong in the Star Wars franchise.

Associate

Hmm...
What bot attack are they referring to? The supposed one that reduced TLJs score? I would think if that was true, they'd keep very quiet about it. Admitting it basically tells everyone that the low score wasn't the fan backlash after all. Surely it wouldn't be in his interest to do that, if he's trying to convince Disney the fans don't like the films? I call shenanigans on this.

Or was there something else I'm not aware of?

Caporegime
I think it was The Black Panther score, there were groups who were trying to artificially lower it to teach Disney a lesson.

Again, they want after the movie with a predominantly black cast/crew rather than wait a few months and go after Avengers Infinity war.

Almost like there is a pattern to who they target...

Soldato
Disney will just ignore the morons and the old fans and plow on as the kids love it. Doesn't matter what grumpy 30/40+ year olds with a hard on for their wet dream fantasy of Luke Skywalker think when the kids will keep coming and they'll keep making money.

The almost reverential grace people hold these average films in (I'm a fan, but objectively they are average) is embarrassing in the first place never mind the way they now act about it :rolleyes:

My kid and his mates love it (the new films seem almost universally loved by the younger generations) so they're going to keep coming. Accept that fact and either enjoy them or stick to re-reading and re-watching the old stuff, the internet insanity is not going to change things. Sales will and they will remain high.

Soldato
Disgusting that the actors are getting trolled :(

It's hardly their fault now is it? The films are garbage for all sorts of reasons, but the actors are just doing what they are told to do.

The problems with the Disney star wars films run much deeper than the people on screen.

Caporegime
I can't believe SJW stuff is infesting our Star Wars movies, where in the original trilogy our main character eventually becomes a Jedi warrior to fight the oppressive empire to free the galaxy and bring about social justice for all.

:D

Associate
Disney will just ignore the morons and the old fans and plow on as the kids love it. Doesn't matter what grumpy 30/40+ year olds with a hard on for their wet dream fantasy of Luke Skywalker think when the kids will keep coming and they'll keep making money.

The almost reverential grace people hold these average films in (I'm a fan, but objectively they are average) is embarrassing in the first place never mind the way they now act about it :rolleyes:

My kid and his mates love it (the new films seem almost universally loved by the younger generations) so they're going to keep coming. Accept that fact and either enjoy them or stick to re-reading and re-watching the old stuff, the internet insanity is not going to change things. Sales will and they will remain high.

Whether they are average or not is just opinion. It's like football. I've never understood the obsessive behaviour over a team that some people have. I guess we can all just have strong attachment to things that isn't always relevant to others.

I hated TLJ. It reminded me of one of those many cash in sci fi films that were around in the late seventies / early eighties. "We've got spaceships, laser guns, light swords, magic, robots, monsters, baddies dressed in black AND booby women. how can it fail?"

Soldato
Whether they are average or not is just opinion. It's like football. I've never understood the obsessive behaviour over a team that some people have. I guess we can all just have strong attachment to things that isn't always relevant to others.

I hated TLJ. It reminded me of one of those many cash in sci fi films that were around in the late seventies / early eighties. "We've got spaceships, laser guns, light swords, magic, robots, monsters, baddies dressed in black AND booby women. how can it fail?"

I agree re it being an opinion, I personally think they are all right but I've never held the first 3 in such high regard as others.

Soldato
Saying it's just for kids doesn't really ring true. Just for kids movies don't box office $2Bn and have such huge merchandising. Because Star Wars is pop culture it sells big. The alienation, and we're no they're yet, of significant portions of the fan base would undermine IP and the profitability of future movies. You lose goodwill for all those Star Wars stories you want to cash in with if your premium product is perceived as horse crap by a cash rich time poor segment of your potential fan base.

Soldato
My 13 year old nephew told me last year that he's "not really into Star Wars". This is the kid that raves about the Marvel movies and needs to know every spoiler before he sees them so that "I can concentrate on all the other details". This is the kid who doesn't want to watch in 3D because he doesn't want his focus taken from other things he might miss. I half-jokingly said "Yeah, it's about the purity of the cinematic experience" and his reply was "Yes! At last someone gets it!". He desperately wanted to watch Bladerunner 2049, but his mum had a get-out with the 15 certificate when I mentioned the bursts of shocking violence.

If Star Wars of today is not engaging with these kids, and it's driving away the now grown up previous generation (who are the parents who take their kids to the cinema), then what future does it have beyond yet another flashy movie full of effects but containing no substance? It's simply another movie marketing exercise to be ignored in an overcrowded market.

Caporegime
Your experience with one 13 year old boy is hardly evidence that Star Wars is not engaging with kids.

I do prefer Marvel movies myself now, but more because they mostly inter-link in some way.

Back
Top Bottom