Hayfever - Thread

Don
This year is the worst I've ever been with hay-fever and that's with taking 240mg of fexofenadine every day.
I made the mistake of driving home from work yesterday with the roof open. By the time I got home I was a sneezing, gibbering, snot-ball, with rivers coming out of my eyes.

Only a couple more weeks of it for me though. I'm always fine by the time July rolls around.

Soldato
I spoke too soon, it's got me, fits of sneezing and snotty dose. Been taking a few sniffs of beconaise which works well for me, I couldn't get on with claritin.

Soldato
So, has anyone tried this nettle method for dealing with hayfever?

Either stinging or via nettle tea?

I didn't know it was a method, but I posted about it last week. I get stung on my ride too and from work 3x a week and I think that it's improved my hayfever a bit, in so much that I was coping with very minimal dosages of beconase and that's it.

Associate
I've been getting hayfever since I was 15 and now, over 30 years later, I seem to be growing out of it (if that's possible), or maybe there's just not as much of whatever it is I'm allergic to around any more. My hayfever started making me asthmatic when I was around 19-20 and that too seems to be lessening.

That said, Tuesday of this week was pretty miserable - having been sneezing and wheezing all morning I went out at lunchtime and bought loratadine tablets in Boots and ordered a repeat prescription of my inhalers, thinking it might finally be kicking off for this year, but no, 24 hours later and I'm perfectly okay again, not so much as a sniffle. Not complaining in the slightest, but I'd just like to know if I'm still actually a sufferer or not!

Soldato
I've been getting hayfever since I was 15 and now, over 30 years later, I seem to be growing out of it (if that's possible), or maybe there's just not as much of whatever it is I'm allergic to around any more. My hayfever started making me asthmatic when I was around 19-20 and that too seems to be lessening.

That said, Tuesday of this week was pretty miserable - having been sneezing and wheezing all morning I went out at lunchtime and bought loratadine tablets in Boots and ordered a repeat prescription of my inhalers, thinking it might finally be kicking off for this year, but no, 24 hours later and I'm perfectly okay again, not so much as a sniffle. Not complaining in the slightest, but I'd just like to know if I'm still actually a sufferer or not!

Mine comes and goes like this. This year I had 1 week of absolute torture but not even had a sniffle a single other day. Weird.

Soldato

Probably your immune system getting weaker, the Spanish flu killed the young because they have stronger immune systems unlike the old which survived. I wonder if hayfever works on the same principle.

Soldato
Probably your immune system getting weaker, the Spanish flu killed the young because they have stronger immune systems unlike the old which survived. I wonder if hayfever works on the same principle.

Quote possibly, last year I was on Sulfasalazine which suppresses the immune system, had no hayfever that I can remember last year. This year I came off them in March for a break and I've

been dying last 2 weeks. I also didn't get cold/cough symptoms when on the immuno-suppressants either.

Local honey is meant to help too.

So glad I don't get hayfever. Seems to be a bad year for it.

It works a treat, if you can find any and afford it :D robbing ******* lol.

I'm even considering getting into beekeeping myself, love to do it and the honey would be a real perk :)

Associate
I'm assuming you meant that my immune system is getting stronger and more resistant, because I'm not getting attacks as often as I used to? I'd have thought a weaker immune system would have made me more prone to the effects of this lousy allergy?

Soldato
I'm assuming you meant that my immune system is getting stronger and more resistant, because I'm not getting attacks as often as I used to? I'd have thought a weaker immune system would have made me more prone to the effects of this lousy allergy?
No, the immune system is overactive/stronger when young, when you get older it gets less active/weaker which means something like Hayfever, which is an intolerance that shouldn't happen stops affecting you as much when older due to you having the weak immune system. (That is my theory anyway, not exactly scientific).

Associate
In any case, it would appear I was tempting fate yesterday - this morning started with a sneezing fit while driving in to work (which was fun at 70mph on the M11) and now I'm sat in the office with a nose running like a tap ... thankfully I don't get itchy eyes

Man of Honour
This week has been pretty bad for me. Unfortunately my office at home is south facing and always hot. Joy of joys....
So, windows closed and suffer, or windows open and suffer.

Getting a split AC unit fitted soon. Can't be soon enough.

Also fitting some reflective window film for the windows. That should help the temperature too.

Soldato
This year is the worst I've ever been with hay-fever and that's with taking 240mg of fexofenadine every day.
I made the mistake of driving home from work yesterday with the roof open. By the time I got home I was a sneezing, gibbering, snot-ball, with rivers coming out of my eyes.

Only a couple more weeks of it for me though. I'm always fine by the time July rolls around.

Sounds like grass pollen its the one that gets me too. Sneezing and runny nose I can handle but the eyes... its like someone shaken a pepper pot into my eyeballs

So, has anyone tried this nettle method for dealing with hayfever?

Either stinging or via nettle tea?

Beat yourself over the back with nettles? Yeah that'll take your mind off the hayfever I guess.

Associate
my eyes have been really bad today along with the usual runny snots forgot to take my antihistamine before leaving home this morning :rolleyes:

few tips that have helped cope before today as follows

keep any facial hair off your face
don't hang washing outside tumble dry instead
Vaseline at entrance to nostrils
shower after being outside when pollen is bad and change clothes
keep windows closed

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Some guy on the radio said taking a mouthful of apple cider then blow it out your nose does wonders for hay fever. I no longer get hay fever but I used to get it that bad I would have tried anything.

Back
Top Bottom