New 144hz 4k monitor spotted, INSANE PRICES!!!

Soldato
Not to mention a 55” OLED tv is of no use as a desktop gaming monitor for PC usage or any other day to day non gaming uses. That’s what these new monitors are aimed at. They’re not aimed at TV viewing, movies or even console gaming so it’s silly to compare them to large TVs
That is just wrong these modern Super Nano Cell or OLED HDTV's produce a perfect razor sharp desktop image as well! Try one & see for your self.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31444614

At the end of the day the PC monitor pricing cartel want you to believe otherwise as the mainstream OLED & Super Nano flat panels other better tech & superb IQ & low prices due to the sheer number manufactured. PC monitors on the other hand are mainly sold to corporate environments not PC gamers who do not change their displays that much as a monitor is usually a last several years product.

Permabanned
If it was that easy we would all do it. The point is many PC gamers don’t want to play at 60hz without sync technology on any game. MMO’s, Witcher 3, whatever. It needs to be high Hz+ Sync. Just a preference.
NEEDS maybe for some I'm not one of them
I guess we will need to wait for NV's BGFD with Gsync if they pricwe it at 2000 will be best all in one :)

Associate
Having tried HDR on my E6 lg OLED it’s not that great. The game mode is far too dim and weird looking and outside game mode it crushes all the HDR highlights, plus yucky 60hz. These kind of monitors will be next upgrade when they get cheaper. I just can’t play any game with mouse and keyboard under 80fps it just feels wrong, only racing games on joypad feel fine at 60fps. I’m actually happy with my Dell S2417DG with gamma adjusted in a well lit room. The control aspect feels superb, unlike a tv, plus very little motion blur at high fps. 4k at 55” seems pointless to me as the PPi is too low, 27”4k is right up my street even my 32” 4k monitor is on the cusp of looking not as detailed as i would want. I really want a 24 inch 4k TN gaming panel with HDR and g-sync, not sure it will ever happen though.

Caporegime
I thought the same thing hence me trying it, but overall I don't think it helped much at all (comparing it to a 28ms Philips 4k TV I'd also tried).

Personally I find it extremely noticeable, especially on this test:

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

I find LCD, no matter the HZ still has some trailing/ghosting where as OLED has no sign at all, even at 60HZ and I don't mean just the blur in the objects moving on the screen with the motion but on the outer edges.

Is that 28ms for the philips not referring to input lag? 2 very different things input lag and pixel response time.

Having tried HDR on my E6 lg OLED it’s not that great. The game mode is far too dim and weird looking and outside game mode it crushes all the HDR highlights, plus yucky 60hz. These kind of monitors will be next upgrade when they get cheaper. I just can’t play any game with mouse and keyboard under 80fps it just feels wrong, only racing games on joypad feel fine at 60fps. I’m actually happy with my Dell S2417DG with gamma adjusted in a well lit room. The control aspect feels superb, unlike a tv, plus very little motion blur at high fps. 4k at 55” seems pointless to me as the PPi is too low, 27”4k is right up my street even my 32” 4k monitor is on the cusp of looking not as detailed as i would want. I really want a 24 inch 4k TN gaming panel with HDR and g-sync, not sure it will ever happen though.

The e/b/c 6 aren't that good for gaming in general, especially the HDR gaming, it is the 7 and 8 series you really want for gaming and especially HDR gaming.

I haven't had to stick my TV in game mode as input lag hasn't proved an issue at all, iirc, it is 21ms (that's for 60HZ), no idea what the input lag is for 120HZ but it feels noticeably snappier than my monitor which is rated at 5 or 10 ms (can't remember which) of input lag. Game mode probably would be even better but I rather have the accuracy/IQ of technicolor preset over a few ms less input lag.

There is a decent guide on digital foundry for getting good game mode settings for the 6 series though.

Was that using HDR on windows? Be wary of HDR for gaming on PC, it is still very broken...... For myself, aside from OLED panel, HDR is the next biggest thing for improving IQ

Associate
Personally I find it extremely noticeable, especially on this test:

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

I find LCD, no matter the HZ still has some trailing/ghosting where as OLED has no sign at all, even at 60HZ and I don't mean just the blur in the objects moving on the screen with the motion but on the outer edges.

Is that 28ms for the philips not referring to input lag? 2 very different things input lag and pixel response time.

The e/b/c 6 aren't that good for gaming in general, especially the HDR gaming, it is the 7 and 8 series you really want for gaming and especially HDR gaming.

I haven't had to stick my TV in game mode as input lag hasn't proved an issue at all, iirc, it is 21ms (that's for 60HZ), no idea what the input lag is for 120HZ but it feels noticeably snappier than my monitor which is rated at 5 or 10 ms (can't remember which) of input lag. Game mode probably would be even better but I rather have the accuracy/IQ of technicolor preset over a few ms less input lag.

There is a decent guide on digital foundry for getting good game mode settings for the 6 series though.

Was that using HDR on windows? Be wary of HDR for gaming on PC, it is still very broken...... For myself, aside from OLED panel, HDR is the next biggest thing for improving IQ

I calibrate my own screens with a colour meter and have done for years but nothing can improve the oled HDR experience, crushing highlights or too dim is just a factor of oled, not enough brightness headroom to tone map highlights without a darker image. I only tried HDR gaming (on an xbox one s) for a test, i wouldn’t game on a tv at all. I like my 165hz gaming monitor too much, i don’t find 60hz a comfortable experience for PC gaming. Some HDR games are worse than SDR at the moment or offer minimal improvement only Forza Horizon 3 looked showcase material. In time when the gpu’s can run 4k high hz like how the 1080ti runs 1440p i’ll move over and have a more matured HDR as a bonus. For me ultra graphics at very high fps with accurate mouse control are king, HDR is a nice bonus in time but nothing i’m losing sleep over after experiencing. Glad your enjoying your HDR oled tv though, the prices are quite good at the moment.

Caporegime
I calibrate my own screens with a colour meter and have done for years but nothing can improve the oled HDR experience, crushing highlights or too dim is just a factor of oled, not enough brightness headroom to tone map highlights without a darker image. I only tried HDR gaming (on an xbox one s) for a test, i wouldn’t game on a tv at all. I like my 165hz gaming monitor too much, i don’t find 60hz a comfortable experience for PC gaming. Some HDR games are worse than SDR at the moment or offer minimal improvement only Forza Horizon 3 looked showcase material. In time when the gpu’s can run 4k high hz like how the 1080ti runs 1440p i’ll move over and have a more matured HDR as a bonus. For me ultra graphics at very high fps with accurate mouse control are king, HDR is a nice bonus in time but nothing i’m losing sleep over after experiencing. Glad your enjoying your HDR oled tv though, the prices are quite good at the moment.

Can't say I've noticed any issues with hdr on oled washing out highlights or being to dim (if anything I find it uncomfortable with how bright scenes can get, but my room is well controlled for lighting etc)

I know that each TV handles tone mapping differently i.e. Sony washes out highlights, lg looks dark in comparison with the Panasonic being the best. Although iirc, the 7 series is a quite a bit better at hdr and tone mapping though

Soldato
E6 is not a full HDR OLED especially if its a 2016 model. Did you update the HDTV firmware to the 2017 LG Dolby Vision fix? Do you have a HDMI 2.0a Cable (4K Display Port 1.2 or HDMI 1.4 both do not support HDR at all due to bandwidth limitations you need HDMI 2.0a or newer for HDR). Also what Motherboard do you have reason I ask is PC HDR is borked. You must have an Intel GPU either present on the motherboard & enabled in the Bios as well as meet all the other Playready 3.0 DRM requirements (Intel SGX extensions for instance) to even enable it in PC games as this is a DRM requirement from Intel & MS for Win 10 (well actually from Hollywood!). I suspect you have not seen proper HDR yet as Xbox 1S is not really a full HDR device either only if your display has Dolby Vision (LG HLG does not count) otherwise the HDR does not work as intended. Finally on PC right now there are only a handful of games which even have a proper HDR implementation I think Assassins Creed Origins, Battlefield1, SW Battlefront 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Forza Motorsport 7 & COD WW2 are the only currently available PC games with proper HDR (not just an SDR to HDR conversion table fudge!). If you see full HDR on either Xbox 1X or a PC which has the correct implementation you will know the difference ;)

Many PC games allow you to select HDR but ingame its not actually working properly unless you have a full HDR display, HDR Display Port or HDMI 2.0a cable as well as meet the Playready 3.0 DRM requirements which is a part of Win 10 allowing HDR to be displayed at all. This is why many PC gamers say HDR looks washed out or is not working properly as its not most of the time. So much cheaper & easier to buy an Xbox 1X & proper HDTV with HDR due to Intel cartel monopoly for HDR on PC!

Associate
E6 is not a full HDR OLED especially if its a 2016 model. Did you update the HDTV firmware to the 2017 LG Dolby Vision fix? Do you have a HDMI 2.0a Cable (4K Display Port 1.2 or HDMI 1.4 both do not support HDR at all due to bandwidth limitations you need HDMI 2.0a or newer for HDR). Also what Motherboard do you have reason I ask is PC HDR is borked. You must have an Intel GPU either present on the motherboard & enabled in the Bios as well as meet all the other Playready 3.0 DRM requirements (Intel SGX extensions for instance) to even enable it in PC games as this is a DRM requirement from Intel & MS for Win 10 (well actually from Hollywood!). I suspect you have not seen proper HDR yet as Xbox 1S is not really a full HDR device either only if your display has Dolby Vision (LG HLG does not count) otherwise the HDR does not work as intended. Finally on PC right now there are only a handful of games which even have a proper HDR implementation I think Assassins Creed Origins, Battlefield1, SW Battlefront 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Forza Motorsport 7 & COD WW2 are the only currently available PC games with proper HDR (not just an SDR to HDR conversion table fudge!). If you see full HDR on either Xbox 1X or a PC which has the correct implementation you will know the difference ;)

Many PC games allow you to select HDR but ingame its not actually working properly unless you have a full HDR display, HDR Display Port or HDMI 2.0a cable as well as meet the Playready 3.0 DRM requirements which is a part of Win 10 allowing HDR to be displayed at all. This is why many PC gamers say HDR looks washed out or is not working properly as its not most of the time. So much cheaper & easier to buy an Xbox 1X & proper HDTV with HDR due to Intel cartel monopoly for HDR on PC!

I have been a tech guy for many years, i’m not a noob, i know very well what i am doing and what looks correct or not and what cabling works. Both my tv and the xbox one s are both proper HDR 10 devices. I know what the differences are to SDR. For PC gaming though high fps is way more important to me than 4k and HDR. I have also tried a samsung lcd that was capable of displaying 1000nit content without clipping or dimness and that was way more impressive than the oled but my tv is for movies not gaming so the oled is great for blu-ray content. As i said HDR is great on certain games but until it goes along with high fps gaming on a fast monitor it’s of no use to me personally at the moment.

Associate
Can't say I've noticed any issues with hdr on oled washing out highlights or being to dim (if anything I find it uncomfortable with how bright scenes can get, but my room is well controlled for lighting etc)

I know that each TV handles tone mapping differently i.e. Sony washes out highlights, lg looks dark in comparison with the Panasonic being the best. Although iirc, the 7 series is a quite a bit better at hdr and tone mapping though

One good thing about the oled is the lack of response time issues, VA panels are really bad at dark transitions. Glad your enjoying your content, hopefully more PC games get great HDR implementations for people to enjoy.

Associate
Battle Royale:

So after testing the ASUS versus the Acer, it is pretty clear that NVIDIA did basically all of the firmware on these displays. Almost every OSD item is identical, with slightly changed names for some of them. Both panels are pixel perfect and have no flaws. AUOptronics appears to have stepped up their game. Both displays operate in the same manner, have identical picture qualities, both come with calibration reports, both have the same bandwidth, both have the same resolution and color settings, both have the same AR film, both have identical motion clarity numbers etc. Really the only noticeable differences are the monitor case (housing), the fan setup and the stand.

The stand is nicer on the Acer. Look, feel and quality. I also prefer the simpler/more professional look of the Acer housing.
While I stated in my Acer review the OSD joystick on the Acer felt kinda flimsy, it is downright terrible on the ASUS. I click up and down in the menu and the joystick gets stuck up or down and I have to manually center it. It also sometimes makes an odd clicking sound. Basically I don't think the joystick is set into its mount properly. Something they should have checked before packaging it up and can only be fixed if you take the monitor apart. The OSD on both monitors basically function the same and one isn't better than the other.

The last discriminator is the fan. ASUS:

Acer:

The Acer is noticeable quieter. The Acer fan spins slower and is larger and has a larger heatsink. The ASUS fan is smaller, spins faster and makes a higher frequency sound that is more noticeable. The Acer's fan is more of a lower frequency/moving air sound.

The Acer stays on my desk and the ASUS boxed up for return. Please let me know if you have any questions about the differences between the two!

Caporegime
My thoughts exactly, it's crazy that the Asus is more expensive and they try to rip you off like that. That tiny noisy fan would be the last straw if I'd spent that much money.

If I spent that much money then ANY fan would be a deal breaker tbh! I didn't build a silent rig to have it ****ing spoiled by a monitor fan!

Associate
Battle Royale:

So after testing the ASUS versus the Acer, it is pretty clear that NVIDIA did basically all of the firmware on these displays. Almost every OSD item is identical, with slightly changed names for some of them. Both panels are pixel perfect and have no flaws. AUOptronics appears to have stepped up their game. Both displays operate in the same manner, have identical picture qualities, both come with calibration reports, both have the same bandwidth, both have the same resolution and color settings, both have the same AR film, both have identical motion clarity numbers etc. Really the only noticeable differences are the monitor case (housing), the fan setup and the stand.

The stand is nicer on the Acer. Look, feel and quality. I also prefer the simpler/more professional look of the Acer housing.
While I stated in my Acer review the OSD joystick on the Acer felt kinda flimsy, it is downright terrible on the ASUS. I click up and down in the menu and the joystick gets stuck up or down and I have to manually center it. It also sometimes makes an odd clicking sound. Basically I don't think the joystick is set into its mount properly. Something they should have checked before packaging it up and can only be fixed if you take the monitor apart. The OSD on both monitors basically function the same and one isn't better than the other.

The last discriminator is the fan. ASUS:

Acer:

The Acer is noticeable quieter. The Acer fan spins slower and is larger and has a larger heatsink. The ASUS fan is smaller, spins faster and makes a higher frequency sound that is more noticeable. The Acer's fan is more of a lower frequency/moving air sound.

The Acer stays on my desk and the ASUS boxed up for return. Please let me know if you have any questions about the differences between the two!

Thanks for the review Vega. After looking at some more reviews and game screenshots I'm sorely tempted even though I know the price is ridiculous. Will maybe hold out until the new 35" ultrawides come out first.

Back
Top Bottom