Camcorder or DSLR for vlogging ?

Soldato
So I'm looking to buy a video recording device that can do at least 1080p @ 60fps so I can start doing reviews for the random electronics stuff I've been buying

Is a camcorder or a DSLR better for this ? I'm thinking DSLR but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money (the ability to take nice pictures is obviously a huge +)

My current camera is my phone an LG G3, no DSLR but shoots 13mp and can do 4k @ 30fps so maybe all I need is a tripod for that instead of shelling out £300+ on a new camera ?

I'm okay for microphones so audio quality for the device isn't important, although an audio input could be advantageous (saves on having to match audio to video in post edit)

Soldato
Your phone would work for vlogging assuming you've got a recent smart phone, other than that, even a point and shoot would work. Point is, you don't need fancy gear for vlogging.

Just go on youtube and search for best vlogging cameras and you'll soon be spoilt for choice, ranging from less than £100, to well over a grand ;)

This also would be best in the photography and video section.

Soldato
yeah you don't need to buy a new camera, your phone should be more than enough. Tripod and phone adapter.

If you want to buy anything look at lighting, camera's capture light, the more and better quality the light the more professional your video will look.

LED panels, softboxes, or even a couple of desk lamps with decent bulbs or daylight bulbs can be bounced off nearby walls to add much more light. Bounced light is a softer light, like being outside on a cloudy day, no harsh shadows. On a clear sky day with lots of sun you'll get lots of lot but it's not diffused so you'll get harsh shadows.

Depend on what electronics you are reviewing and how you are doing them you may benefit from a light tent. You don't have to spend a fortune on lights but it pays to play around.

Soldato
OP
Phones are amazing now especially with certain apps.

I use filmic pro for video and Focos for pictures. Filmic is absolutely fantastic and will take your smartphone cinematography to the next level

This app is incompatible with your device.
:( Guess my G3 is too old

yeah you don't need to buy a new camera, your phone should be more than enough. Tripod and phone adapter.

If you want to buy anything look at lighting, camera's capture light, the more and better quality the light the more professional your video will look.

LED panels, softboxes, or even a couple of desk lamps with decent bulbs or daylight bulbs can be bounced off nearby walls to add much more light. Bounced light is a softer light, like being outside on a cloudy day, no harsh shadows. On a clear sky day with lots of sun you'll get lots of lot but it's not diffused so you'll get harsh shadows.

Depend on what electronics you are reviewing and how you are doing them you may benefit from a light tent. You don't have to spend a fortune on lights but it pays to play around.

I'll give it a go, I needed some more desk spot type lights anyway for doing electronics so they can likely double up as camera lighting too and if it doesn't work too well at least I'll have a tripod for any camera/camcorder I decide to buy

Soldato
as someone that films a lot for a digital platform I can tell you that we are moving away from camcorders as they just are too bulky really.

half of our stuff is like vlog/walking stuff and you end up rigging it to a ronin to get stability and then needing a screen ,lights and it becomes 20 times bigger.

the Sony stabilisation isn't perfect but it's decent especially with tweaks in post and we are now likely going to move towards Sony DSLRs over the next year once we've figured out the connections issues (ie no XLR ports) since we have expensive wireless mics with that connection type. we will probably end up running audio to a dedicated device and syncing in post - and after all that will probably still be less faff then filming with dedicated camcorders

Man of Honour
A lot of the YouTubers that I've been semi-regular following that have moved from casual to semi-professional use the Sony Cybershot RX100 - bit overkill for your use though hah.

Most phones these days do pretty well for that kind of use as mentioned above though some have limitations on 4K recording.

Soldato
OP
once we've figured out the connections issues (ie no XLR ports) since we have expensive wireless mics with that connection type.

Portable battery powered preamp will solve that problem

Most phones these days do pretty well for that kind of use as mentioned above though some have limitations on 4K recording.

Yep only 4k at 30fps, even 1080p is locked at 30 despite the sensor being capable of doing 60 :(

JJB

JJB

Associate
I've started using my iPhone X, it shoots in 4k at 60FPS, and at 1080P at 240FPS slow mo. So quite versatile to be fair. I'm looking at buying a gimbel for it so the shots are smoother. Pair it with a tripod for still video and it does the job.

Just need an external mic :)

Back
Top Bottom