Tsohost issues

Soldato
We've been happy customers of Vidahost for god knows how long - 10 years, maybe more - and since the merger/takeover/GoDaddy monopoly with Tsohost we've had major issues. Our websites have been down for most of this morning, and most of yesterday, and that's only when we've been checking.

The only response I've had on Live Chat (which you also have to wait for MUCH longer than we did with Vidahost) is due to "high server load". Ok...

I know loads of people have jumped ship but cost-wise and everything else I wasn't fussed by the merger, but now it feels like I simply have to; the up-time must have been close to 50% over the last 2 days.

Anyone else experiencing issues? Where have people jumped to?

Soldato
They forgot to renew the cert on my website last month and when I prompted for them to fix it they didn't seem to understand the urgency and still have not provided a satisfactory reason for the failure to renew.

I'm looking to jump ship as well, my preference is AWS as I can use to highlight my work to potential clients.

There's some discussion in this thread for alternate providers.

Soldato
Similar position. I was with Vidahost for 5+ years. Never had any problems until several periods of downtime in the last 6 months and poor support response times.

I moved to Krystal hosting which seems to be the go to on various forums. Not had any issues since.

Associate
I'm getting to the very end of my will with TSO.
I own a domain name that I purchased back with Vidahost, it was in my cloud dashboard before the switch over and now it's vanished. Speaking with their support they say they can't remove the old website, which means I can't add the website dashboard on TSO so I essentially have a domain name that can't be used with them in any form. :mad:
The guy on the phone even said to me he could see that the personal details on both my current account with them and the one where the website is are mine, but apparently they can't delete it on my request because it's on a terminated account and I might not be the same person... with the exact same name, same address, same billing information.

Going to give them until Tuesday to sort it out, if they can't then I'm doing to demand a refund for their failure to provide the service I paid for and then all of my domains and sites are moving.

Seriously can't believe how useless they are.

Associate
Been using them for 7 years and they’ve definitely gone downhill recently. Going to Migrate all my sites and domains away from them in the coming months.

Soldato
Been with TSOHost for around 10 years, got a reseller account with them and around 90 domains. I am going to move everything away from them as soon as I can. Since last year the service has been going downhill.

I've had recurring issues with their email service with a customer unable to synchronize an IMAP mailbox for 3 days - the issue is still on-going across the Gridhost network and was originally reported in March.

Soldato
OP
Well, we're with Krystal now. Service and speed has been far superior so far (though nothing we didn't have with Vidahost before). Raised a complaint with TSO Host for a pro-rata refund of our hosting plan.

Even before the DNS switch our websites were painfully slowly, sometimes taking up to 10 seconds to load (if at all). And we have a gigabit line here.

Shame.

Soldato
I've moved to Krystal now, all good apart from them giving me the wrong nameservers which caused the site to be down for around 48Hrs.

I use CloudFlare and they provided me with IP addresses that weren't correct. Thankfully the third person on live chat was able to provide the actual ones (at like midnight too, very good)

Associate
I moved away as well - emails vanished and 2 sites got hacked (I always suspected a high level hack as there was nothing in the logs)

Have found Krystal, Nethosted and Mechanic Web (EU) to be much better

Soldato
Anyone aware of any change/issue on the 22nd June? I was a Vidahost customer for years and was still using their cpanel platform. My hosting is fairly lightly used as as a reult it took me a week or two to notice that a php based site that I built was down and the error log was full of errors starting on 22/6 relating to version mismatches between php and various modules it was trying to load. A quick google search suggested that it might be picking up an incompatible version of php.ini from somwhere. My guess is they've either migrated me to another server as part of some consolidation work or done a php upgrade which has broken stuff for the presumably pretty small subset of ex-Vidahost cpanel customers they have that are using php.

I raised it with support and they have put a sticking plaster fix in place that has the site back up but it's still not right (still getting various similar errors behind the scenes) but I was hoping someone who is more up to speed might have a better idea of what has been going on so that I can ask the right questions when I try and get support to sort it properly.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't even bother asking. They moved me to another server to do a PHP upgrade and in the process corrupted all MySQL databases. Fortunately they were still on the old server (which is also a bit worrying) so they restored them from that.

Jump ship!

Soldato
When my TSO hosted site started to get flaky I jumped over to Krystal. I don't like big corporations with no time for the small people.

This. Trouble is I've been with them for so long, must be the best part of 10 years now, I get site hosting for free (I'll jump ship once that changes). I signed up due to the recommendations on here. That's the trouble these days. The big firms always take over the 'competition' in order to increase market share & appease the shareholders at a cost of good customer service. :mad::(

Soldato
Last month Vidahost/TSOhost did some changes on the server I was hosted on and half of my sites no longer loaded, kept blaming it on only having 100mb of free space left on my hosting but I cleared it down to 400mb free, removed a 1gb database (corrupted) and still had issues. Turned out they'd updated the PHP and left all my sites on the wrong version, after insisting that I upgrade to a package with more space. The patch is still holding for now, would love to migrate away but I need the older PHP as my sites are ancient and don't have the time to re-do them all (custom gallery with over 1,500 photos).

Soldato
OP
I'm with tshost is there any good deals about ?
Also what do I need to migrate ?

If you're on cPanel you can just do a backup and restore, pretty straightforward. Krystal will do the restore end for you anyway.

Last month Vidahost/TSOhost did some changes on the server I was hosted on and half of my sites no longer loaded, kept blaming it on only having 100mb of free space left on my hosting but I cleared it down to 400mb free, removed a 1gb database (corrupted) and still had issues. Turned out they'd updated the PHP and left all my sites on the wrong version, after insisting that I upgrade to a package with more space. The patch is still holding for now, would love to migrate away but I need the older PHP as my sites are ancient and don't have the time to re-do them all (custom gallery with over 1,500 photos).

Shouldn't be that difficult to upgrade your PHP version; 1,500 or 1,500,000 photos will still rely on the same few lines of code.

Soldato
Shouldn't be that difficult to upgrade your PHP version; 1,500 or 1,500,000 photos will still rely on the same few lines of code.

It's an old Magento 1.9 site so it also had to deal with order processing, there is a 3rd party mod that can help move to PHP7 but my experience of moving Magento sites in the past has not been that great. I was going to rebuild it sooner on the new site but the old one kept growing and I didn't have time to work on it.

Man of Honour
Any host running CloudLinux can support practically every PHP version.

I installed CL on some servers when I was still at Paragon a couple years back.

It was a bit twitchy in terms of co-operating with some of our other automation but I'm sure it was mostly fine when I left.

No idea what they do these days. Maybe you're on a super old system - one of the joys of running a hosting company is that everyone hates downtime but downtime is sometimes necessary to replace truly obsolete systems. So I don't envy whoever has my job now! :)

Back
Top Bottom