New speakers for PC and PS4

Associate
Looking for some advice. Don't know too much about the technical aspects but do appreciate decent sound quality!

I have recently moved my old Denon Dm31 and mission speakers that came with it away from the computer to connect directly to my turntables and mixer. I also bought a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver which works quite well sending audio from PC / PS4 but want to return to having proper speaker placement rather than next to turntables behind me. They also need to be white!

I was originally looking at some Q Acoustic 3020's before deciding to move the Denon unit. I love my home cinema 5.1 setup which uses all Q Acoustics speakers.

Since then I've been looking at powered speaker contenders including Ruark MR1 mkII and Audio Engine A5+.

I have an aging Z77 v-deluxe mobo and wondered if I should also consider a new soundcard or DAC? I listen to a lot of wide ranging music mainly and also do some gaming, mainly sim racing.

I currently use a CYP AU-D3-192 to convert optical to phono from PS4 and a two into one Lindy phono switch that connects to an Avantree Oasis Bluetooth transmitter.

Amy advice welcomed... :confused:

Edit: I also have a pair of Harmon Kardon BT headphones for music and cheap pair of
HyperX Cloud II's for gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
I recently bought a pair of x300a refurbs for £260. They sound fantastic and I think they come in white. They're probably not suitable if you want to use a sound card though.

Soldato
Good price on the KEF's. Peter Tyson has them in black for £300 with a 5 year warranty. They do have the wireless version in white, but they are refurbs and £360. They still come with a 5 years warranty though.

Both wireless and non wireless versions have USB input and analogue 3.5mm auxiliary input.

Ruark's MR1 are a good choice and so are the A5+; both though retail for around £350. KEF X300A were £600 speakers.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I'm probably destined to change my mind multiple times but do enjoy doing the research :D

Reading up on the KEFs has me thinking maybe I should actually consider some larger passive speakers and amp. A lot of comments on MR1s, for example, regarding lack of bass and reduced sound quality at higher levels.

On another note, I was thinking I'd be limited with input options but found that you can get optical switches and could use one of these to select either optical from my PC mobo or PS4 if I did end up going down that route with potential for sub plugged into active speaker output.

Then again, MR1s would be quick and simple solution :p

Associate
The Ruarks are Fantastic i have them they look and sound Amazing for there size they really do pack a punch proberly better if you have them close to a wall if you don't fancy a sub i never had a sub with mine cause i have them on Atacama stands and there close to the Wall but just recently got the new updated version of the REL T ZERO sub and WOW they went up to another level. The soundstage exc is a lot bigger and gives the speakers less to do

Associate
OP
Thanks nicknack, you may have brought me back down to ground just in time! I've seen they do that sub in white too, which is good.

I was starting to look into mini/micro systems and speakers last night and ended up progressing to Cambridge audio cx60 amp and matching speakers. Would cost far more than I was originally thinking!

Leaning back towards ruarks now with a sub.

Associate
There is 2 versions of the REL and both in same colour you can get one for £279 and one £349 i got the one for £349 from a friend at RS Hull for £300 managers special the £349 REL has updated drivers and is only 3 months old but i think if you get one for £279 you wont be dissapointed they really do sound great for a mini Sub we have ours in the Bedroom which its great for

Soldato
Deffo get the Ruark MR1’s. I think nicknack and I have previously shared our enthusiasm for them :) amazing upgrade (I’m on a Z77 Gene V) so bought the AE-5 and MR1’s. Wow!

For small speakers I think the bass is fantastic - more than adequate for my living room. I’ve even dialed mine down slightly.

I would try without the sub first and see how you get on.

Associate
OP
O
Deffo get the Ruark MR1’s. I think nicknack and I have previously shared our enthusiasm for them :) amazing upgrade (I’m on a Z77 Gene V) so bought the AE-5 and MR1’s. Wow!

For small speakers I think the bass is fantastic - more than adequate for my living room. I’ve even dialed mine down slightly.

I would try without the sub first and see how you get on.

Order placed this evening for collection tomorrow :D

Will then see if I feel the need for a sub as you suggest ..

Thanks for everyone's input :cool:

Soldato
Surely people aren't buying an AE-5 just to use with the Ruark speakers? MR1's have their own DAC. Makes sense though if using with headphones as well.

For those who have bought an AE-5 for use with these speakers; please don't use optical connection. That deserves many Picard facepalm pictures.

Soldato
Surely people aren't buying an AE-5 just to use with the Ruark speakers? MR1's have their own DAC. Makes sense though if using with headphones as well.

For those who have bought an AE-5 for use with these speakers; please don't use optical connection. That deserves many Picard facepalm pictures.

Obviously can't speak for others, but yes, have my Q701s as well.

Soldato
In that case, a well deserved purchase for your AKG's. :D

I think I could have worded that post a little better. Didn't mean it to sound as though I had already taken the assumption people bought the AE-5 just for use with the Ruark's.

I see some people say they'd like to buy a sound card, thinking sound quality also applies to digital connection just as it does analogue. Admittedly most of those likely know little about audio, but it's better to ask than spend maybe £100 needlessly.

Soldato
In that case, a well deserved purchase for your AKG's. :D

I think I could have worded that post a little better. Didn't mean it to sound as though I had already taken the assumption people bought the AE-5 just for use with the Ruark's.

I see some people say they'd like to buy a sound card, thinking sound quality also applies to digital connection just as it does analogue. Admittedly most of those likely know little about audio, but it's better to ask than spend maybe £100 needlessly.

Again, can't speak for others, but I personally took your post as being helpful. :)

Associate
I'll be interested in your thoughts on your new speakers. Also, how are you connecting everything up? optical from the PS4 (assuming you don't have a slim) to the speakers and using the 3.5mm connection to your soundcard?

Associate
OP
I'll be interested in your thoughts on your new speakers. Also, how are you connecting everything up? optical from the PS4 (assuming you don't have a slim) to the speakers and using the 3.5mm connection to your soundcard?

Won't have time to set them up until tomorrow but plan is optical from PC mobo and PS4 into optical switch to speakers.

My PC only has on board sound (Asus P8Z77 V deluxe).

Soldato
Optical from the motherboard bypasses the onboard audio. That only applies when using the analogue 3.5mm outputs.

No difference between the optical out on a motherboard and optical on a sound card. DAC in the speakers is doing the work, so to speak.

Associate
OP
Couldn't wait so have quickly set up and done a bit of fiddling. Strangely I seem to be getting some 'crackling' using optical. Changed some settings and checked cables which has all but eradicated it.

Very impressed with sound quality, separation and particularly how it brings out vocals. Playback via Bluetooth is also impressive. I think I will add a sub though. Played The Black Keys, Little Black Submarine and was a bit disappointed when the drums kicked in.

Look forward to listening to more music through them...

Back
Top Bottom