So who remembers this DOS screen?

Man of Honour
setsound.jpg

The amount of time spent trying to get IRQs right. I think earlier in the PC days I had a budget/no-name sound card but became easier once had a Sound Blaster 16 :)

Anyone else get nightmares from similar screens? :p

Man of Honour
I remember having to do that for a few games hah - the annoying thing was I'd try a cocktail of pre-documented IRQs and memory locations, etc. and the one(s) that worked was often the one(s) that made least sense for my soundcard.

Associate
Gosh I remember doing that a few a times on the old games wise. Like Doom/Duke Nukem 3D/Tomb Raider/realms of the haunting etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I more remember having to mess around with the config.sys to get drivers to load into high memory (LH cdrom.sys) just to give more base memory to run games.

Pesky CD drives always used to eat my memory.

M.

Soldato
Remember all the things from here :D

Had a .bat file premade for the shutdown -a haha

Pretty sure I had to format a PC once since zonealarm went mental and locked it down and I couldnt fix it

Soldato
It's funny that this thread came up just as I was getting back into my DOS PC! Who remembers this kind of screen!

8ssdE8Bh.jpg.png

I've been playing games in Dos mode on my Windows 98 PC with a soundblaster Live with Soundblaster 16 compatibility (emulation of some kind). It has actually been quite smooth without any IRQ problems!

I played some Descent

u57advWh.jpg.png

Car and Driver (love the presentation in this)

3RvQJ46h.jpg.png
AatR3meh.jpg.png

And of course some Jill of the Jungle from Epic MegaGames, now just Epic and making GoW.

TPZNrDIh.jpg.png

Soldato
I lived Descent back in the day. Nice keyboard too :)

It's surprisingly playable with just the keyboard! Using arrows for pitch and yaw and W/S for thrust and and A and D for strafe. It's good fun if a bit maze-y. The keyboard is an ACER mechanical keyboard with an AT connector. No idea where it came from but it is nice and clicky. It used to look like this:

bhJHFHyh.jpg.png

But after taking it apart and giving it a good scrub...

eLWVFR0h.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom