Spec me the new iMac Pro - as a PC

Soldato
I am considering the base model to replace my iMac 2013. I can get one using NUS discount through a friend for 4.3k or so. It is a lot but when you spec up an iMac 27 it’s not too far off, plus my iMac still has good residual value.

I am assuming the performance will blow me away. I do a lot of photography and editing which is a little slow on my iMac

Soldato
OP
I am considering the base model to replace my iMac 2013. I can get one using NUS discount through a friend for 4.3k or so. It is a lot but when you spec up an iMac 27 it’s not too far off, plus my iMac still has good residual value.

I am assuming the performance will blow me away. I do a lot of photography and editing which is a little slow on my iMac

Id love one but too much money, I hear in USA someone was selling with $1000 off - yeah id imagine the performance will be amazing, decent hardware (for an apple product) with the efficiency of the OS should make for a pretty potent combination.

Soldato

I wouldn't say the single task performance will 'blow you away'. I've the 8 core pro and the 4.2Ghz i7 2017. In general single use you won't feel much difference between the two.

The real difference for me is *how much* I can do on the pro before it gets bogged down. I can have my video exporting, my VMs running for testing, my VM for my usual office stuff etc. and the machine is fluid and easy to use. My i7 can't do that, it gets bogged down far easier.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Soldato
I wouldn't say the single task performance will 'blow you away'. I've the 8 core pro and the 4.2Ghz i7 2017. In general single use you won't feel much difference between the two.

The real difference for me is *how much* I can do on the pro before it gets bogged down. I can have my video exporting, my VMs running for testing, my VM for my usual office stuff etc. and the machine is fluid and easy to use. My i7 can't do that, it gets bogged down far easier.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Absolutely, my iMac does get bogged down with a lot of processing. That’s what I feel like I need

Back
Top Bottom