Anyone got a Tiguan/All space

Soldato
Heading car hunting at the weekend. Looking at the Q5, Kodiaq, Vitara and thinking Tiguan will be somewhere in the middle of that lot and the Allspace closer to the Q7?

Soldato
Soldato
My mum has a regular tiguan - got it september last year. 1.4TSI SEL DSG with leather interior, power tailgate and rear camera but I have driven it quite extensively as well. anything you specifically want to know?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
All space is based on a Golf Estate IIRC, so no not close to the Q7 at all, its actually smaller than the kodiaq.

I'd have a look at the offerings from Volvo,Nissan and Toyota aswell. I found the tiguan to have a fairly average interior, fairly boggo seats and lots of low down hard scratchy plastics, no better than a Nissan Xtrail imo, infotainment and lcd instrument binacle is cool if you have the SEL or R models. Exterior wise in the right trim level its smart looking car.

If you need the space then the Q5 and Kodiaq are a decent shout, but are based on the class above, so more A4/Superb sized.

Soldato
OP
Well it was an interesting day for sure.
The Kodiaq gets a bit expense when you start adding options and in the spec I want.
The Vitara S is hoot to drive just like the 1.6 I drove but with a little bit of an edge. Very impressed.
The Q5 is decent but a little numb and I dont think the price makes sense next to the other VAG offerings.
The Tiguan is pretty good. Not as dynamic as the Vitara and I have no idea why VW don't offer the more powerful 2.0 petrol's with a 6 speed manual. I like it though.

Soldato
OP
All space is based on a Golf Estate IIRC, so no not close to the Q7 at all, its actually smaller than the kodiaq.

I'd have a look at the offerings from Volvo,Nissan and Toyota aswell. I found the tiguan to have a fairly average interior, fairly boggo seats and lots of low down hard scratchy plastics, no better than a Nissan Xtrail imo, infotainment and lcd instrument binacle is cool if you have the SEL or R models. Exterior wise in the right trim level its smart looking car.

If you need the space then the Q5 and Kodiaq are a decent shout, but are based on the class above, so more A4/Superb sized.

VAG MQB apparently. Yeah the Kodiaq is the biggest.

Hitman
Soldato
I had the Tiguan R-Line for 11 months. The kit was good, mine had the fabric seats which were pretty decent on a long (3+ hour) journey, exterior was lovely, rear space was plentiful when the seats were down (I think the rear seats laid completely flat?) but I found the gearbox very sluggish and I very obviously missed the extra power I had from my RR Evoque which is what it replaced. The car was 6 months old when I bought it and had more problems with this car then any I've had so I was glad to see the back of it.

Associate
I tested a Tiguan and thought it was great. All depends on what you are used to I guess. Trouble is the R-line demonstrator is out of my price range, the border less rear view mirror option is really nice.

Soldato
OP
I had the Tiguan R-Line for 11 months. The kit was good, mine had the fabric seats which were pretty decent on a long (3+ hour) journey, exterior was lovely, rear space was plentiful when the seats were down (I think the rear seats laid completely flat?) but I found the gearbox very sluggish and I very obviously missed the extra power I had from my RR Evoque which is what it replaced. The car was 6 months old when I bought it and had more problems with this car then any I've had so I was glad to see the back of it.

Yeah DSG isn't good at all until you get the car moving. I'd be going for a manual if I do go with the VW as it's much better. The downside is picking the manual box limits the engine options.

I drove both and the manual would leave the DSG off the line and I don't think the DSG would catch up.

Soldato
OP

Interesting about the fabric seats. Did the car have a CD player? I forgot to check.

Soldato
The Seat Ateca is meant to be good - not sure if you've considered one of those?

Have just done a deal on an Ateca FR for the wife. She has run a little Micra for the last 7 years and I was struggling to get her into a bigger car... complained that everything we tried (Volvo XC60, BMW X3, Skoda kodiaq) was 'too big' and she felt too nervous out on the road. She also hated the diesels being only used to Petrol cars. We don't do a lot of miles anyway.

We tried an X1 and Tiguan for size but all they had were the low powered diesels. I got her to try a Tiguan 190 R diesel, hoping that would move her focus away from the engine performance and on to how it felt on the road. This went much better but they wanted 33k and there were no 180 petrol versions available in the group. Anyway, passing the SEAT dealer she saw a bright orange Ateca and fell in love with the colour :rolleyes:

Petrol FR 4Motion with DSG, very similar to the setup I have in my S3. Drives and corners well, comes with lots of kit (rear parking sensors, rear camera, satnav, alcantara sport seats and handsfree tailgate opener thingy). Its the size of a Tiguan but feels and looks smaller. Cabin is perhaps a step down quality wise from the Tiguan, but it's still comfortable in front and plenty of room in the back (I'm over 6ft). Good deal of luggage space in the boot, with the seats down a mtb will easily fit in there including the wheels. More importantly she loves the drive and doesn't 'feel' it's too big for her. I'm happier as it's a good chunk cheaper than the VW. We should pick it up end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom