• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
New cards worth the upgrade are so expensive:(

Indeed. Had a Radeon 290, replaced under warranty with a 390, replaced under warranty with a RX580 - basically the same performance. Upgrading to a 580 from a 290 would be a real waste of money I feel.

Vega 56 feels a decent upgrade at last, but it's overpriced in comparison to Nvidia at the moment.

Soldato
Indeed. Had a Radeon 290, replaced under warranty with a 390, replaced under warranty with a RX580 - basically the same performance. Upgrading to a 580 from a 290 would be a real waste of money I feel.

Vega 56 feels a decent upgrade at last, but it's overpriced in comparison to Nvidia at the moment.
Wish I could replace my 290x with RX580 for free (mainly due to I now have a 4K TV and could do with HDMI 2.0 :p).

Associate
Wish I could replace my 290x with RX580 for free (mainly due to I now have a 4K TV and could do with HDMI 2.0 :p).

True, newer features and it uses far less power and runs cooler. Very little improvement in terms of gpu grunt though and keep getting dodgy warranty replacements was annoying ;)

Permabanned
Still got my 4 and would sell as I don't use them but they have waterblocks and a 4 way bridge fitted which makes it difficult to sell.:)

Shame, I keep everything, the parts, the boxes & all the little knick-knacks they contain so it's all together safe for if I eventually sell it on a few years later. My boxes take up more of my living space than me. :rolleyes:

When I want to swing the cat I have to go out in the garden. :D

Soldato
Wish I could replace my 290x with RX580 for free :p
True, newer features and it uses far less power and runs cooler. Very little improvement in terms of gpu grunt though and keep getting dodgy warranty replacements was annoying ;)
I am not that fuss about the power it draw, and the temp for my 290x ain't an issue as it doesn't even exceed 50C under load (I have it hooked up to a Corsair H105 AIO using the Corsair HG10 A1 cooling bracket). Really glad I went for it over the GTX780 back then, considering how badly those Nvidia cards now perform, with Nvidia disowned them like unwanted children :p

Man of Honour
OP
Shame, I keep everything, the parts, the boxes & all the little knick-knacks they contain so it's all together safe for if I eventually sell it on a few years later. My boxes take up more of my living space than me. :rolleyes:

When I want to swing the cat I have to go out in the garden. :D

I still have the boxes and everything but the thought of trying to get all the pads and everything back where they belong is really hard work.

Soldato
I still have the boxes and everything but the thought of trying to get all the pads and everything back where they belong is really hard work.
Yea I can understand. The time and effort you spend on doing that is essentially costing you "money", as your time could have been spent doing something else or have better value elsewhere.

Soldato

Similar here. 290 for which died after a couple of years, 390 as a warranty replacement which was fine. Then upgraded to a Vega 56 at the OcUK pre-order price...

Glad I pre-ordered it. :D

Associate
I am not that fuss about the power it draw, and the temp for my 290x ain't an issue as it doesn't even exceed 50C under load (I have it hooked up to a Corsair H105 AIO using the Corsair HG10 A1 cooling bracket). Really glad I went for it over the GTX780 back then, considering how badly those Nvidia cards now perform, with Nvidia disowned them like unwanted children :p

Oh I liked my 290, but I had the MSI Gaming which used to sometimes throttle even at 100% fan. From what I've seen on these forums it wasn't the greatest model :(

Power draw doesn't directly concern me, however with the 290/390 the fan on my semi-passive PSU would always switch on in games (evga P2 not the quietest fan). With the RX580 it usually didn't, unless it was a hot day or playing for a long time.

Caporegime
As above!

Still a solid card. Definitely due an upgrade this year as with an OLED TV and UHD films, I need something with HEVC + HDR support now.

Associate
I'm also still using a 290X with a 3440x1440 ultra wide (I had 1080p monitor when I bought the 290X). I really thought I would need to replace the GPU, however the games I play run well. Might be due to Freesync, but either way it works. I mainly play simulators, strategy and MMO type games. Only FPS I play is BF4 and more recently Quake Champions (it was free ;)).

I do wish I bought the vega 64 LC edition on the pre-order price though, looking back now. Suppose I can wait a bit longer ...

Back
Top Bottom