More issues

Associate
I posted last week that i had a bad stick of RAM with my new build which includes an 8 pack 8700k delid. One the stcks of RAM would not work (cmr32gx4m2c3000) so I RMAd it and got a replacement. Everything was fine until I got a dodgy memory management issue whilst updating chrome. After several cmos rests and messing about taking sticks in and out the stick in slot 4 or b2 is dead. I have tried reseating the cooler which hasnt helped. Should I update the BIOS to see if that works? Have i damaged the board somehow?

Soldato
Swap the sticks. Is the stick in slot 4 dead, or does slot 4 appear to be dead?

Dead slots is often down to poor seating of CPU, faulty CPU socket or faulty CPU. Inspect the socket and reseat the CPU.

Definitely update the BIOS as in this case, it could be causing issues.

Associate
OP
Swap the sticks. Is the stick in slot 4 dead, or does slot 4 appear to be dead?

Dead slots is often down to poor seating of CPU, faulty CPU socket or faulty CPU. Inspect the socket and reseat the CPU.

Definitely update the BIOS as in this case, it could be causing issues.

I think its another bad stick. They were both working then the stick in slot 4 died (last week it never worked from the start). I have removed the dead stick and i am running the good one from the suspect slot to see if it dies, but so far it hasn't. Do you think i have just been unlucky with the RAM?

Just to note the system is running perfectly well otherwise. Nvme boot takes 8 seconds. , have been gaming for 5 hours on it. Have even ran prime95 just to see temps at stock as i havent overclocked yet.

Have flashed Bios with no change.

Soldato
Both bad sticks were the original two you purchased? If so it kinda makes sense. When something goes wrong in production runs it is often more than one bad piece being made. I've seen this happen several times with HDDs, monitors, etc. where I worked as a tech. We bought many pieces at a time, sometimes hundreds, and if there was one bad one there was almost always several more with consecutive serial numbers.

Associate
OP
Both bad sticks were the original two you purchased? If so it kinda makes sense. When something goes wrong in production runs it is often more than one bad piece being made. I've seen this happen several times with HDDs, monitors, etc. where I worked as a tech. We bought many pieces at a time, sometimes hundreds, and if there was one bad one there was almost always several more with consecutive serial numbers.

I got one set and one that i had in b2 was DOA so i did an RMA both new ones were working then after a few hours the stick in b2 died. I have been running the good stick in b2 sice friday with no issues. I will be doing another RMA tomorrow.

Associate
OP
@doyll I believe you may be correct. The first two dimms had serial number ending 205 and 206, 205 being the DOA one. These ones ended 207 and 208 with 207 being the one that died after a few hours. Could be that the ones ending with and odd number are dodgy. I have done the RMA today.

Back
Top Bottom