**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
I won't give in to temptation like I usually do with Google phones & like I did with the no headphone jack phones. But I will not touch a phone with a notch. I consume a fair bit of media on my phone & that notch would be really annoying, Imagine a TV with a notch ugh.

Caporegime
Surely the video wouldn't play either side of the notch?

Really like the look of this phone in the last few pictures but as much as I'd like to upgrade from my Nexus 6P I won't touch it if it's as expensive as the comparable iPhone.

Soldato
I won't give in to temptation like I usually do with Google phones & like I did with the no headphone jack phones. But I will not touch a phone with a notch. I consume a fair bit of media on my phone & that notch would be really annoying, Imagine a TV with a notch ugh.

I'm pretty sure they'll include a feature where the video stretched up until the notch and not including it. Either way most of the content I watch on my phone is 16:9 anyhow.

Hopefully 2018 will be the last year of the notch .

Soldato
Surely the video wouldn't play either side of the notch?

Really like the look of this phone in the last few pictures but as much as I'd like to upgrade from my Nexus 6P I won't touch it if it's as expensive as the comparable iPhone.

It'll most definitely be around £800, I know manufacturers are putting in a blackout thing for the notch to hide it, But if they are doing that they may as well have just kept the bezels. If it is anything like the iPhoneX then the video/game will get cut into by the notch.

https://imgur.com/a/iWrYzTq - How it looks on the iPhone.

That is true about the 16:9 though Kona, I presume they are still going for the same aspect ratio as the P2XL. Hopefully it will be the end of the notch this year.

Soldato
It'll most definitely be around £800, I know manufacturers are putting in a blackout thing for the notch to hide it, But if they are doing that they may as well have just kept the bezels. If it is anything like the iPhoneX then the video/game will get cut into by the notch.

That is true about the 16:9 though Kona, I presume they are still going for the same aspect ratio as the P2XL. Hopefully it will be the end of the notch this year.

P3XL will probably be 19:9 aspect whereas the 2XL was 18:9.

Soldato

That's how it looks on the iPhone if the user is an idiot and zooms the image to full screen, then you're chopping off way more picture off the top and bottom anyway. By default the notch doesn't affect the vast majority of video content because it isn't at the same aspect ratio as the iPhone X screen.

Permabanned
OP
Two features of the Pixel 3's appear confirmed via XDA and in this Forbes link:

1. Active Edge.
2. Wireless charging

While I use voice usually to activate my phone for most Google Assistant activities when out and about, I find there are times when Active Edge is really useful. Others agree?

Google has not had wireless charging since dropping it with the Nexus 6P but now it appears to be back. The back of the 3's are expected to be glass which will facilitate wireless charging. Code has been found for wireless docks. I like the flexibility wireless charging gives me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ign-price-release-date-features/#783997d62ffd

Soldato
Quite like the look of the renders, though suprised they haven't gone the double camera at the back route - however, you can predict Google are doing something special with that camera regardless of the number of them.

Definitely liking the white one!

Soldato
Quite like the look of the renders, though suprised they haven't gone the double camera at the back route - however, you can predict Google are doing something special with that camera regardless of the number of them.

Definitely liking the white one!

No need for double camera last year's pixel is still better than all these double or triple camera phones.

Soldato

Surely a notch is better than a bezel ? I guess we are entering the age of the camera either popping up or being under the glass but I suspect this year's flagships and possibly next will opt for a notch

Soldato
No need for double camera last year's pixel is still better than all these double or triple camera phones.

No I completely agree - surprised they didn't go double/triple like everyone else seems to be, but I'd imagine that even with the single camera, the image quality is going to be incredible like the Pixel 2.

Looking forward to seeing more, I'm 98% certain I'll grab a Pixel 3 in white :)

Associate
I must be on my own with this but I quite like these notches compared with a top bezel.
shame they couldn't get rid of it altogether, i don't think I have ever used a front facing camera... I only need the speaker and light sensor.

trying not to get this over my galaxy note 8 I am hoping its quite a large flat phone a bit like the sony XA ULTRA in the hand. the note 8 is just too small width ways its like you have to cup your palm to hold it.

Soldato
Surely a notch is better than a bezel ? I guess we are entering the age of the camera either popping up or being under the glass but I suspect this year's flagships and possibly next will opt for a notch

Not at all, For me anyway. I would prefer smaller bezels or a pop up front facing camera(I don't use that camera much at all) The Pixel 2 XL & Samsung phones manage it nicely.

I'm glad they are sticking with the single camera on the back too.

Associate
I dont know why people are glad about sticking with a single camera when a dual camera lens offers the possibility of optical zoom in a phone. But they did me a favour here, because that was one of the few reasons I would have swapped to a 3XL. Now I have decided to stick for another year, saves me a few hundred quid!

Back
Top Bottom