First time i have ran (for fitness)

Underboss
Hi all

My phisio has said i need to keep moving, i seem to have some limitations in my body (i.e. i cant stretch very far and some movements are quite difficult)

I seem to keep getting a very mild pain/restriction in my right hip, so ive been of the bike for 3 years now and i have now decided to do more

I've joined a Gym to help keep me moving more during the day and get some upper body strength, been doing this for a week now

Also decided to do some more walking

Today i decided to do a run, well the intention was walking, but i ended up going for it lol

and this is what i achieved :

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2726012141#.Wwgw5vCohsY.link

mostly uphill, did 7.40 miles in under 2 hours

first ever run

thoughts / opinions ?

Man of Honour
Well done, I would however suggest not doing too much too soon as your body won't be used to the stresses and strains of running. Even if you're relatively fit from other exercise you'll be using different muscles or in different ways which takes some time to adapt to and by building up slowly you'll minimise the risk of injury. It's tempting to try and increase the speed and distance quickly when you start out and see progress but it's also more likely to cause you issues further down the line than gradual increases, a reasonable rule of thumb that is given is not to increase the distance run by more than 10% every week.

Caporegime
Well, i ran 8 miles today (1h30)
not sure how i did it really, knees have been hurting since my last run last Wednesday

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2773448086#.WyD1TyGui0w.link

why is my stomach hurting 3 1/4s the way through ?

feel like im gonna be sick lol :(

Your knees hurting is a warning sign,don;t ignroe it. your body takes time to adapt, you are going to injure yourself if you push too hard too quick.

The reason you felt sick later was because your effort level increased a lot. Look at the heart rate and how much higher it gets. Keeping it around 150 like at you did at the start will help.

Also your cadence is very low. This tends to be associated with increased injury risk and knee issues. Faster cadence, around 170-190, lowers impact forces, reduces injry risks and increases running efficiency and performance.

Underboss
OP
thanks D.P.

no idea how it tracks my cadence using a watch, but there you go.

i understand in cycling terms, i would always try and reach 100+ unless i do some strength training

but i am unsure how to change that in running terms, so I am guessing i need to increase my stride ?

thanks for your help

Caporegime
The watch has an accelerometer, like a Fitbit it measures the impact of each step.

Running should have the same or similar cadence to cycling, although that is a coincidence the reason for having a high cadence is similar.

When running with a low cadence each step has to be longer, you have to push higher off the ground, when you land you will have a higher impact force, and like cycling muscles are more efficient with more repetions of a lower force.

You want to decrease your stride, so take more steps that are smaller. In this sense it is like a gear with more teeth, you need more rotations but the force is lower. You can run 180 steps a minute while standing still, so this is unrelated to pace.

This is not critical, just something to work on over time. The biggest issue is if you are running too fast or far before your body had adopted you are at high risk of injury. Make sure you can have an easy conversation when running, take your phone and call someone. If your jointd hurt then skip a run.

It is very tempting to push pace or distance when starting. This will almost certainly lead to injury. Running rewards patience and long term stead consistent improvements. I say this because I made lots of mistakes when starting. Train slow, race fast

Soldato
As a frequent cyclist who just got into running, I think I've learnt the hard way about running too much too soon.

For my third ever run, I did a 10k in 48 minutes, which I was told was bit too fast for a beginner. My fitness is great, as I cycle A LOT, but my legs/kness just aren't used to the impact of running. After this mornings 7.2 mile run (completed in 1 hour), I could barely walk for the rest of the day, my knees were so bad. I think I need to re-assess how I go about my running training, and go slower, for longer.

Soldato
Caporegime
Brake up the distance. Shorter runs more frequently in faster times maybe. Long sessions with injuries can cause chronic problems.

This is almost the exact opposite of what you should be doing.

Injury risk is mostly related to running pace and insufficient recovery. Long slow runs are the safest runs you can do and result in the biggest training benefits in the long term.

Soldato
This is almost the exact opposite of what you should be doing.

Injury risk is mostly related to running pace and insufficient recovery. Long slow runs are the safest runs you can do and result in the biggest training benefits in the long term.

No it's exactly what the OP should do from the sounds of his reaction and suspect hip. Endurance runs with injuries cause chronic problems. Ie you don't recover from them.

Underboss
OP
interesting posts between you two

i think its my knees that are a major concern, still feeling a little pain there after a week
so ive stopped running until my knees get better then i might start doing some short runs and keeping the pace down, then just build up the distance

Associate
Splash out on a good pair of running shoes. Can save you a lot in injuries. Sounds like your doing well though.

Yes, very good point. A decent pair of shoes is well worth buying. I've been running for many years, and have extensive experience of trail and road running.

ShiWarrior, a good start would be to visit your local running shop and have a gait-analysis; this will help you to find shoes that offer the appropriate amount of support to your feet. I add that decent socks are often overlooked: In my view breathable, non-cotton is the kind to use.
Running is a great sport and it's great to see you are enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom