• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia CEO says next gaming GPUs won't come for "a long time"

Soldato
You mean RX 580 should have been as fast as GTX 1080...... I agree here, they should have made a 300 sq. mm chip trying to get at least the GTX 1070 performance at the same price bracket.
RX 680 has to be somewhat (10-20%) faster than GTX 1080 in order to be able to stand a chance.

Depends what AMD price the RX580 replacment at. GTX1070 level performance with Freesync and better DX12 Vulcan performance would be ideal for anything sub 4MP resolutions.

Soldato
AMDs drivers are fine, they have been for a while now, but ive said it before, they will never shake that 'their drivers are utter crap' tag, just like Nvidia, who will never shake, 'our drivers don't have problems, they just work' tag, even though they've been known to stop their cards fans, causing them to blow up, and a whole host of other problems.

I think both vendors have had the fans stopping issues.

But if the drivers are fine, and easy to use can you explain why the AMD driver thread here is twice the size of the Nvidia one even though it's 18 Months younger and there should be at least twice as many Nvidia users? :D
I know it's not vaguely a scientific comparison and there could be many reasons why it has that many posts, maybe it's full of happy praise? :p

When? From 2003 with a 9800XT to 2017 with a 5870 I don't ever recall having a great deal of issues with ATi/AMD's drivers. Apart from mainly CrossFire with the x1950 series being the worst glitches that was eventually fixed.

Overall, they were solid I found.

Even NVIDIA's drivers aren't really problematic I've found. Some twitch/Firefox issues (driver crashes) but they were solved. The thing I'm hearing the most now is the horrid control panel deciding the reputation for NVIDIA drivers from so many people. As if they're a mess.

As I have already mentioned, it's not the frequency of crashes that is the problem, but having to reboot/reset if it does happen is a pain, Nvidia drivers generally recover and don't need a hard reset.

The other main issue I have with them, which a lot of AND fans seem to see as a "Feature", is the improvements they make over the course of 1-2 years.
I'd rather have the full performance from the day I own it not in 2 years time when I may not even have the card.

Regarding Wattman, well at least there is such an option in AMD drivers, if it is an issue for some, just pretend it does not exist, just like in Nvidia drivers

If wattman was a good as afterburner it wouldn't be a problem, but it isn't IMO. But the lovely AMD don't want me to use afterburner (or getting it to function is a royal PITA). :)

bru

bru

Soldato
I've goto admit that the NVIDIA control panel certainly looks datated by comparison to the AMD one and it isn't as fast to load up, but I fully expect this to be sorted out when NVIDIA do finally update their front end. When this will happen is anyone's guess though.

Soldato
But if the drivers are fine, and easy to use can you explain why the AMD driver thread here is twice the size of the Nvidia one even though it's 18 Months younger and there should be at least twice as many Nvidia users? :D
I know it's not vaguely a scientific comparison and there could be many reasons why it has that many posts, maybe it's full of happy praise? :p

They can't be that bad,otherwise a lot of airliners and transport planes might be in a spot of bother!

Soldato
I think both vendors have had the fans stopping issues.

It's very easy to explain. AMD have changed there setup so much that things have been talked about. So many features and the appearance where as Nvidia have done nothing. That's why tbh.

Associate

Further to Realdeals' bit about the plentiful changes and feature additions of AMD drivers.

There is also an active AMD rep on the forum who is pretty active and helpful. Amusingly he has even posted in this thread more than any NV rep! :p Although I expect it is mostly from his regular forum member days.

Soldato
More bugs to fix.

:p

Nvidia just don't bother fixing bugs - especially on any card older than a year. :p Especially weird when they have just been recycling the same architecture for years. It should be even easier given the way they've chopped compute out of their gaming cards. :D Too busy putting their chips in cars because the console manufacturers have dumped them.

V F

V F

Soldato
Nvidia just don't bother fixing bugs - especially on any card older than a year. :p Especially weird when they have just been recycling the same architecture for years. It should be even easier given the way they've chopped compute out of their gaming cards. :D Too busy putting their chips in cars because the console manufacturers have dumped them.

That rules out the 1080 Ti. It's over a year old now.

Soldato
More bugs to fix.

:p

You serious?
I can pick an obvious long term issue.
Sound doesn't work (through monitor jacks) on some 144hz (non gsync) monitors (like the XL2730Z) at 2560x1440 or higher res, since September 2016. And that issue had it with both GTX1080 and GTX1080Ti.
The thread on that issue in the official forums is ongoing ever since with people raging against NV. Any driver prior to Sept 2016 and is fine.

Also another thing. Since the same September 2016 drivers the old GTX1080 overclock lost 5% perf (obvious on all benchmarks) making it 7% until the November 2016 when sold it.
If you do not believe me, pop to the TimeSpy, Firestrike benchmark threads in here. You will find my old 1080 having the highest GPU scores, however it's drivers were from summer 2016. Similarly overclocked 1080s with later drivers couldn't pull same GPU scores even with better CPUs. (had 6800K @ 4Ghz back then). Only the newer GTX1080s with the faster ram managed to beat me by couple of points, in some benches with later drivers.

Lack of features.
NV does not support FPS limiter like AMD does with their drivers (including per game setting) since the summer of 2015. Yes 3 years now for a very obvious feature.
Same applies to integrated, and very powerful, overclocking tool making the use of MSI AB (or other) obsolete. Hell it even supports Vega P states curves, chill features etc.

Yes true there are issues with AMD drivers, but they do fix them. I can name one with Stellaris and HOI IV which required to run the games only on opengl mode.
But that had to do with the game engine requiring the game developers to do their bit also before AMD.

On the other hand took Nvidia two weeks and 6 driver releases, to fix the animated gif issue which they broke making even Facebook not working properly....

But yeah, NV issues? Brushed under the carpet it seems :p

Caporegime
I think Nvidia announcing no new cards for a long is probably down to AMD moving to 7nm.

Or simply the CEO not wanting to talk about future products in a room full of journalists at a conference that had nothing to do with future GPUs.

The problem with your logic is that it was obvious AMD would move to 7nm, just like Nvidia, and AMD publicly stated that last summer. There is no surpise there. Furthermore, why would nvidia delay the release of a gaming GPU jut because next sporing AMD will sell an HPC destined Vega derivative on 7nm that will cost as much as a small family car? AMD wont have consumer 7nm GPUs before next summer at the earliest, and ecen if Nvidia thought AMD were going to be able to release early then it would be even more important to do the exact opposite of delaying Turing and instead get it in the market as son as possible to maximize sales and try and pull their own 7nm consumer GPUs forwards.

No one knows if Nvidia are delaying anything because they have no made any official announcement or roadmap with dates. And if there has been a delay, that tells us nothing about what AMD may or may not have to release. If there is any link then it is more likely due to low exceptions of AMD producing any competition, thus they can wait.

Caporegime
November time or early 2019 ;) Or both. 1180 in Nov with 1170/60 in 2019.

I doubt it, they either release a 12nm part in the next few months or they wait to viable 7nm next year. They wont release a 12nm part if the expected life time is 6-9 months.

Permabanned
They can wait sitting on 12nm products, waiting for the 7nm process to mature, to become cheaper and yields to improve.

nVidia always releases their GPUs in March. When was the last time they didn't?

Caporegime
I doubt it, they either release a 12nm part in the next few months or they wait to viable 7nm next year. They wont release a 12nm part if the expected life time is 6-9 months.
Doesn't have to be 6-9 months thanks to the competition. AMD aren't expected to release new gaming GPUs until 2020 now. Navi = PS5 in 2020; no gaming Vega on 7nm ever.

Back
Top Bottom