• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Delidded the 7960X - just a little difference ( -9 to -14 degrees )

Soldato
The argument is that with modern CPU the power states means the CPU can rapidly cycle between hot and cool which over the long run can lead to solder cracking hence why they have chosen to use thermal paste. I don't deny this enlargement but I've not come across it personally, I guess with all the Zen CPU's on the market it's a bigger potability so it's wait and see I guess.

With the cooling around these days surely the temp changes are more gradual so its less of an issue? As in compared to a really fast hot then cold cycle.

Associate
Personally I am doing it just to try it out. It may turn out worse than the stock IHS.

Cpu will be on its own custom loop with 2, 360 rads anyway so temps shouldn't be a major issue.

Only choice now is whether to go with the monoblock or the supremacy evo. Might try both and just go with the best performer.

Soldato
Sadly and frustratingly nobody really cares, just the way Intel likes it.

The argument is that with modern CPU the power states means the CPU can rapidly cycle between hot and cool which over the long run can lead to solder cracking hence why they have chosen to use thermal paste. I don't deny this enlargement but I've not come across it personally, I guess with all the Zen CPU's on the market it's a bigger potability so it's wait and see I guess.

I've seen two CPU personally, one being a 5960x succumb to cracking. There are legitimate reasons why not to solder the IHS for the reasons you describe above, but also Intel's environmental footprint is under scrutiny. If one has no qualms about invalidating their warranty, then there's no problem with changing the compound. Contrary to popular believe between "enthusiasts", Intel know what they're doing and have some of the best metallurgists in the world.

Worth noting also, that when the TIM cracks, it doesn't necessarily mean the CPU will fail as some have stipulated in this thread. However, it's still not a good thing as temps will increase, and the risk of damaging the CPU whilst delidding is far greater.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My point is a cracked solder joint will still transfer heat better than paste so why even bother changing. I think the whole thing is just about cost saving and placing artificial limits on overclocking (particularly the voltage used) myself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom