Winning games! Do you really care?

Associate
Depends on the game honestly. Racing games I'm terrible, if someone crashes me out I lose my rag and have to leave the room before I break something. Its pathetic I know but I cant help it.

Other games such as shooters or whatever I dont mind at all.

Soldato
My Nephew is a gamer which is great!

Only he is a bit too competitive for my taste (e.g. his sole mission is to beat me/others). Now I am a casual/rubbish player. If I win a match/race which is rare, said nephew is a bit of a sore loser.

Now, don't get me wrong. If I play an online multiplayer game and get repeatedly whupped - I tend to give it go and when the times right, bail and move on to another server. I always hope that I will be matched with others of my caliber. :o

Using my Nephew as an example, who will watch whatever YouTuber elite/alien gamer and learn the tricks of the trade... (cheating if you ask me)

Obviously there is a generation gap, as I usually learn on the fly (crash and burn) and suck up the humiliation.

Is this a generation thing? Do you rage quit or persevere?

No is no generation thing. Depends how competitive is the game.
I used to play EVE Online. Losing ships, battles, implants. Things that actually matter taking days and a lot of effort to recover, yet I was never angry. Same applied to numerous MMO games where you lose gear, money xp (UO for example) or Planetside 1 & 2.

However when comes to WOT & WOWS I get very angry swearing like you cannot imagine.
Idk those two games are pulling out the worst of me.

<sarcasm>
But what you expect when completely <swearing> muppets <swearing> <swearing><swearing> play like <swearing> screwing everyone else <swearing> game time, while those <swearing> muppets cannot figure out how to <swearing> play in <swearing> tier 10 <swearing> tanks, on same <swearing> map they have <swearing> played <swearing> numerous <swearing> time?
No wonder you see around tier 8+ players with <swearing> abysmal stats between <swearing> 1900 and 4000, playing like <swearing> headless <swearing> chickens.
</sarcasm>
:D

I hope you got an idea :D

Soldato
I prefer to lose, it means I'm learning something. If I'm beating somebody all the time such as in Tekken, then I've chosen the wrong opponent and end up playing on autopilot learning absolutely nothing. Never needing to bring out new tech to practice because it isn't needed and can't be tested properly on a low skill opponent.

Now if it comes to PVP like in a shooter, there isn't much to learn (if anything) other than how to be more accurate or memorising the maps, in which case losing or being killed sucks because you learn nothing from the death, but I don't play shooters often if at all, no real skill in them (imo), not like there is in fighting or strategy titles.

Soldato
Depends. I play PUBG with a good friend often. He used to get pretty mardy at us if we lost. I stopped playing with him for a while because it was just daft, stupid expectations to win every game. It got to the point where it wasn't fun. Winning at online games is why you play, but realistically it doesn't 'bother' me, it's a game.

Now if were playing local Mario Kart, I'm winning. ;)
was this MerlinBrah :D

Associate
when i used to play joint ops the community was quite small so you always played with the same ppl more often than not, so that for me was a reason to wanna beat them especially as most squads didnt like my squad, i think thats what kept me with it so long and what i miss the most.

Soldato
Sticking to on MP games, Do I want to win? Yes. Do I care? Well that depends on circumstances. Generally I don't particularly care, I play games to have fun and that can be had even if losing. Whether shooting, racing or anything else it is the close matches that make it exciting and sometimes they go your way other times not. I play a lot of FPS and while I don't particularly judge people by their k/d ratio losing matches because people go stupidly negative (I'm taking 1 or 2 kills, 20+ deaths), because they go AFK or leave midway through a competitive match so you spend the rest of the match a player down then yes losing the match annoys me.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Depends.
In WoT, I was very much a "competitive" mode when in higher tiers and found it incredibly frustrating to have utter muppets screw it up.
I actually think that PUBG (battle royale) is a great solution for this. After all, if it's every man for themself, then the sociopathic morons can't team kill or let their team down.

Nowadays, I'm focused on PVE mode usually and am playing a game far too complex for casual muppets to get involved.

Soldato
If I've paid £40 then I like to see the end credits, even if it means dropping down to baby level to get there. Nothing worse than games which put a really hard mission or quest with no means of getting past it.
Nothing worse than trying to solve a puzzle than can't be solved - That^ same mentality is why I don't bother with PvP online games - It's not always possible to win the game, or solve the puzzle, which in this case means somehow 'Git Gudding' and being better at it than kids with six weeks of Summer holidays and nothing to do but endlessly practice, while I have a job and a family and other real world things to be concerned with.

Slider: Remember, boys, no points for second place. :)
Slider...... *sniff*..... You stink!!

Associate
Winning/losing doesn't matter, what matters is if the game was fun. Getting beaten ridiculously easily over and over is just frustrating and you don't get to learn. Beating someone ridiculously easily is boring because the game offers no challenge and you may as well be asleep. The most interesting games are where the game swings back and forth, and some of my favourite games of LoL were one's we lost purely because the game was so close it was engaging and interesting.

Using my Nephew as an example, who will watch whatever YouTuber elite/alien gamer and learn the tricks of the trade... (cheating if you ask me

Depends on if they advise or just tell you what to do. Taking LoL as an example, once it started getting more popular and people followed all the guides it was kind of sad. You'd see the same characters built same way and it'd ruin the diversity of the game IMO and people would also struggle if someone threw a bit of a curve ball. The way I built one of my characters was 'wrong' and yet I enjoyed it, I did enough damage while being more tanky than people expected.

Back
Top Bottom