Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
My son has got a 2013 GTI and off late I've noticed a vibration which I can feel through the floor and when in the passenger seat. I can also feel it at low speeds but is much worse at motorway speeds. The car was with the local VW dealer who have simply blamed the tyres and maybe tracking? But I always thought that balancing would show/resonate at certain speeds and then go away below or above that speed? The car was also booked in for loss of turbo power randomly but sods law, it didn't exhibit the problem when they had it and there were no fault codes thrown up either when they connected the car up.

Anybody have any ideas, getting the wheels and tracking checked will be the first thing he'll get done but I'm not convinced.

Check the tyres for odd wear. My original mk5 golf blew the inside of a tyre out at 40mph, the mechanic I pulled into could actually put 3 fingers through the inside of the tyre wall. Spare on and too the tyre shop we went. New tyres all round, £450. Laser tracked and it was 6mm out and looking at the tyres that were removed it was really bad. Couldn't feel anything odd while driving though, no odd vibrations but the mk5 gti is a little rough anyway. Lost the car 2 weeks later in the snow at low speeds, never putting Kumho's on my car again. :(

mjt

mjt

Soldato
My parents' Mk6 GTI has decided that the electric folding mirror switch is irrelevant and it will fold/unfold the mirrors whenever it likes.

Apparently they've already had the mirror switch replaced once, but they still have a mind of their own. They opened as they drove into the garage the other day, scraping the mirror caps nicely.

Is this a known issue? Should I just replace the mirror switch (again) myself, or could it be something else?

Soldato
Enjoy. Had a MK6 GT TDI since April 2015. Bought with 42k on the clock, now has 83k. Sep 2010 car.

Only had a minor niggle where the rear washer feed was leaking onto the rear light intermittently causing a short and an issue with the light, now fixed. Everything else has been spot on, touch wood. Always serviced on the the nail at VW, only ran on V-Power. Good cars, they're not class leaders for nothing. Not daft money either. Any questions, fire away. What did you pay if you don't mind? Mileage?

If I had to replace it I'd probably buy another, preferably a facelift MK7 GTD with the virtual cockpit like above.

Sorry, missed this. I've noticed one thing which I think is a wheel bearing or wheel balancing issue. Juddering sound over 50mph or so. Pulsing on the brakes when slowing. Guessing bearing, wheel balance or warped brake disk?

I paid £6350 for it with 78k miles. Has heated leather, nav/hdd, front/rear sensors. Full vw history and surprisingly untouched vancouver alloys with decent tyres (good tread on pzero Nero gt all round).

Soldato
@mjt I was quite pleased to find one so well specced (I think it was originally a demo). PP, DSG, Discover Nav Pro, Dynaudio (this is awesome). The tyres were unmatched so I've stuck Eagle F1s on. Just need to sort out the wheels now, really need a refurb. Wondering whether to get them diamond cut again (and again and again in the future most likely :rolleyes:) or just powder coat them.

Soldato
@mjt I was quite pleased to find one so well specced. PP, DSG, Discover Nav Pro, Dynaudio (this is awesome). The tyres were unmatched so I've stuck Eagle F1s on. Just need to sort out the wheels now, really need a refurb. Wondering whether to get them diamond cut again (and again and again in the future most likely :rolleyes:) or just powder coat them.

Something I'm thinking about too on my GTi wheels!

Soldato
Something I'm thinking about too on my GTi wheels!

Whatever white worm is, it's got plenty of that, and a chunk missing out of one rim. I don't know how well diamond cut wheels can be sealed/lacquered, apparently corrosion can set in even without curbing! Great... Would be a shame to lose the black bits of the Santiagos though, unless I can get them painted separately.

What alloys are on yours?

Soldato
I have the Austins on mine - really wanted the Santiago's but at the time I couldn't get them with the spec I wanted.

2 fronts are well over due a refurb and have some corrosion both from curbing and not :(

Associate
Prefer the Austins as they are easy to clean:D, had 3 of the 4 replaced under warranty due to white worm 2 years in but they are the same again now. Pity there are no steel wheels that will fit over the PP brakes.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Is the steering wheel leather(ette) on the Golf 7 ridiculously soft or is it just me? I've scuffed it a number of times since I've had the car (March), and I only did once or twice in my S3 and A6 over 4 years (which is most likely real leather).
Or should I just cut my nails more often? :p

Associate
Turns out it was the wheel balancing that was causing the issues with my sons Golf. Was quite surprised to be honest, cost him 60 notes for VW to do just the front wheels.

I remember you posting originally and it sounded like balancing. 60 notes is expensive though just for balancing a couple of wheels.

Soldato
My sons problem turned out to be wheel balancing which is really strange as he took it to 2 different tyre places to get them balanced but VW rebalanced the fronts and the car is much better but there is still a very faint vibration that I can feel at low speeds.

Another issue is that whenever he turns the ac on the car then feels like it’s going to stall in 1st and 2nd gear I.e. the engine time goes from smooth to rough. It also doesn’t have that much go when the ac is on. I know that ac is supposed to sap some power but to me this just feels wrong. Any ideas on this new issue?

Back
Top Bottom