Air Con Suggestions

Soldato
Hey,

Does anyone have recommendations for an air con system for a standard sized main bedroom? Getting a bit fed up with the heat and I'm sure there will probably be an ice age after I buy one...

Budget would be £3-400 and quiet/eco friendly such that you can sleep with it on would be useful. Is it reasonable to expect getting temps down to 12-14 degrees easily enough? Something with a 5+ year warranty would be handy as well given only used for a few weeks a year.

It would probably be with a hose out the window rather than properly plumbed/wired in - so I guess it's a portable one I'm after.

Thanks!

Soldato
12 degrees is ridiculously cold for a bedroom most people don't hit that in mid winter 18 is much more realistic but still unnecessary. Open a few windows, your bedroom door and take off the winter duvet!

Associate
We've got heat pump air conditioning installed and the lowest that will let us set it is 18 degrees and from memory our portable unit only goes down to 16 or 17. Although 18 degrees feels like you're in a fridge anyway so we keep it at 20.

As for noise it depends on your tolerance, I had trouble sleeping with the portable unit on at night but my girlfriend slept just fine. Worth the compromise on the really hot nights.

Our portable unit is an Ecoair Eco 8P. It works really well just a bit noisy and the hose is quite short, was £300.

RJC

RJC

Don
I doubt a portable one would get your room that low, you would need a split install.

I did one last year and installed in my hall way, also helps with the heating in the winter, house has no cavity.

Soldato
I take it op does not live in the UK, because he must be smoking crack if he thinks you need air con in a country that gets about 2 weeks of hot weather a year, just man up a bit

Caporegime
I take it op does not live in the UK, because he must be smoking crack if he thinks you need air con in a country that gets about 2 weeks of hot weather a year, just man up a bit

We live in the UK.

I have installed split air, into almost every room in the house, it is used most of the year round, as you set a temperature and it cools or heats to maintain that temperature, and is overall far more cost effective and far more efficient than a gas boiler powered central heating system, that cannot cool you in the summer.

Soldato

Depends on your tolerance for heat surely? I fully intend to install a proper A/C system in the bedrooms/pc room in our next house, we'll worth the investment IMO. I wouldn't have it set to 12 degrees though, that's just silly!! Sounds like OP needs to get a walk in fridge rather than A/C

Soldato
A commercial unit would get a very small room down to 14 / 15 as thats what the local micropub use and they get it to 12/13 in there cold room but on a summers day it will rise to 13/14 Thats a room inside a room i suppose with patio doors

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, maybe I was a bit low with the 12 degrees!! Maybe 15-18 down from high 20s is more realistic.

This is UK but in a well insulated house if sleep quality is impacted for a few weeks a year then it seems like a sensible purchase.

Associate
Just throwing this out an alternative as i've been using this quite successfully these past few days (18yr old house with cavity insulation). Given its the UK the nights aren't anywhere near as hot as the day - i mounted a 50cm floor fan into a plywood sheet/frame which i insert and keep in the loft hatch while its hot. Running it during the day gets you a nice breeze in any window and at night cools the house significantly quickly with the outside air. It's just a bit noisey so you can't run it while sleeping, and i guess it wouldn't work so well if you go to be ridiculously early before it cools down :p

edit: i guess you also need to make sure theres plenty of space for air to move from loft to external or this does work so well, most modern houses have a lot of eaves ventilation so this isn't a problem

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
We live in the UK.

I have installed split air, into almost every room in the house, it is used most of the year round, as you set a temperature and it cools or heats to maintain that temperature, and is overall far more cost effective and far more efficient than a gas boiler powered central heating system, that cannot cool you in the summer.
Exactly why we are getting split air in our house too, although i plan on putting a couple of powerful units into the hallways on each floor rather than each room as installing that many interior units and pipework would be a nightmare!

We do not get gas in my area, so one of the main benefits is as you describe, as very efficient heating (better than gas which is amazing when gas isnt even an option).

The big bonus being dehumidifying and cooling properties too. It is a no brainer. I doubt Haze has considered what air conditioning actually means, it isnt just about cooling.

Back
Top Bottom